rhogam

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HappilyTogether
  • 2 Post By tela

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
who else gets the shot?

my situation confuses every doctor i see. i am O neg. DH is A neg. so i shouldn't need the rhogam shot. but when jacob was born, he got DHs A blood and had severe ABO incompatibility. his koons factor was so high that it overshadowed his Rh factor, and they couldn't type the +/- several times that they tried. so to be safe, they gave me rhogam. i also got it after my D&E last year. my OB advises just to get it again this pregnancy and after delivery.
March 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll be getting it again. I am o- and dh id o+. Our daughter is also o +. I know I had rhogam last time but honestly don't actually remember the shot, so it must not have been too bad. Lol
March 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran
I'm b- and hubby is a+.... fun giant shot in the bottom #7 (4th baby) coming at my next appointment
March 28th, 2013, 02:06 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm a- and dh is a+ so ill get it. Dd is a+ too. Shots don't really bother me much tho. I used to not be able to swallow ANY pills so for a couple of years I was on the depo shot instead of the pill for birth control.

March 28th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Super Mommy
I'm O- and DH is O+ so I'll be having my rhogam shot fairly soon. I don't know about the US, but I was told that in Canada it has to be done at a hospital because technically, they consider it a blood transfusion.
March 28th, 2013, 06:11 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd thought I read that it really didnt help anything during pregnancy and that only the one after may help.. And some people refuse that even? I dunno.. I am A+ so I never researched it.. Maybe research it some.. You may not really need it during pregnancy..

March 28th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never remember our blood types but I don't need it.
March 29th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm an O+ so I don't need it.

Getting blood out of DH is a struggle within itself, he has only had one blood test in his life and that was for the pre-IVF screening, and he had to lie down in the children's bleeding room and have his legs and arms tied down for it, so based on that I doubt we will ever know his blood type (unless baby isn't an O+, then we could make a guess based on that as to what he is)

March 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Rhogam is actually very important. There is NO risk to getting it. None. Hence why I get it even though I "shouldn't" need it, according to DHs blood type. Recently (with more sensitive tests) they've found that the +/- is not a clear-cut +/- all the time.
March 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM
HappilyTogether's Avatar Cautiously Expecting
I'm A+, so I don't need it fortunately. I honestly wouldn't get it if I did need it though. I personally know people who had very serious complications from getting it.
keekopeeko likes this.
April 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be getting it at my next appointment.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Veteran
I will have this shot too.
I am A- dh O+ have 2 x girls both A-,O- been lucky thus far
will have these shots soon!
April 2nd, 2013, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
Rhogam is actually very important. There is NO risk to getting it. None. Hence why I get it even though I "shouldn't" need it, according to DHs blood type. Recently (with more sensitive tests) they've found that the +/- is not a clear-cut +/- all the time.
I'm not tartig anything here.. As I said before I've not done the research on this. But it also looks like you've not done the research either. You can never say putting a foreign substance into your body is zero risk. You just can't. Eating food creates risks! I am allergic to salmon.. Not fish, just salmon.. But I never would have known that had I not taken to risk a couple times of eating salmon and creating a horrible horrible night for myself...

Here is a link that relays the risks of the rhogam shot

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...a-profit-ploy/

April 2nd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
I'm not tartig anything here.. As I said before I've not done the research on this. But it also looks like you've not done the research either. You can never say putting a foreign substance into your body is zero risk. You just can't. Eating food creates risks! I am allergic to salmon.. Not fish, just salmon.. But I never would have known that had I not taken to risk a couple times of eating salmon and creating a horrible horrible night for myself...

Here is a link that relays the risks of the rhogam shot

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...a-profit-ploy/
no, i have not done a ton of research on rhogam. i TRUST my doctors. they went to medical school and have years of experience behind their recommendations. if my OB says it has no risks, then i believe her. (just did a pubmed search and found the only real risk to be in people with a sensitivity to IgG, which is rare).

i won't even open the link you posted b/c of the title and source. i work in pharma. we are not a ploy for profit! thankyouverymuch. every day i work hard to ensure the efficacy of vaccines that go into our children. i have my PhD in virology, so i am well educated on all things science. i understand the immunology behind the shot (afterall immunology is my current career field). and i will never understand why someone would refuse a harmless shot that prevents future pregnancy loss / health complications in new baby.

and btw the 28 week shot is very important if you have had a previous pregnancy. since i had both a child (and don't know his Rh status due to his ABO incompatibility at birth) and a 10 week loss that required a D&E, my blood has potentially mixed with a baby's positive blood. not getting the shot at 28 weeks could jeopardize this pregnancy or the health of this baby.
pearlica and Kiam like this.
April 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Twin Mama
o+ so nope

April 2nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
no, i have not done a ton of research on rhogam. i TRUST my doctors. they went to medical school and have years of experience behind their recommendations. if my OB says it has no risks, then i believe her. (just did a pubmed search and found the only real risk to be in people with a sensitivity to IgG, which is rare).

i won't even open the link you posted b/c of the title and source. i work in pharma. we are not a ploy for profit! thankyouverymuch. every day i work hard to ensure the efficacy of vaccines that go into our children. i have my PhD in virology, so i am well educated on all things science. i understand the immunology behind the shot (afterall immunology is my current career field). and i will never understand why someone would refuse a harmless shot that prevents future pregnancy loss / health complications in new baby.

and btw the 28 week shot is very important if you have had a previous pregnancy. since i had both a child (and don't know his Rh status due to his ABO incompatibility at birth) and a 10 week loss that required a D&E, my blood has potentially mixed with a baby's positive blood. not getting the shot at 28 weeks could jeopardize this pregnancy or the health of this baby.

Ok that's fine. Just saying its not risk free., anything that can be considered a blood transfusion at least carries those risks.. Like I said,, not trying to start anything,,

April 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will be getting it at my next apt in a few weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search