Your thoughts on elective c-sections..

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't agree at all with choosing an elective c-section with your first baby. Especially for as shallow a reason as "not messing up your lady parts". A c-section is a MAJOR SURGERY and not something to be taken lightly. Sometimes it is necessary and I thank God that the surgery exists but it should not be performed unless medically necessary. Vaginal delivery "jumpstarts" the baby and causes changes in the mother as well, things that a c-section doesn't do. We are designed to deliver babies vaginally for a reason. Choosing an elective c-section after an emergency c-section or an elective c-section due to a breech baby is a different story simply because VBAC's are not readily available. For many mothers VBAC's aren't an option for them even if they wanted one thanks to the common policy of "once a c-section, always a c-section".
April 11th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by writergurrl View Post
I delivered my first vaginally with terrible tearing and a long, long painful recovery. My doc informed me that if I tried to vaginally deliver my second child that I stood a good chance of not being able to control my bowel movements in the future. Since I didn't relish the idea of spontaneously and uncontrollably pooping my pants for the rest of my life, I elected to have a c section for my second kid. I will be electing to do so again this time.

Because, well, I'm pretty sure uncontrollable poop would get me kicked out of my mommy playgroup.
If my doctor told me that, I'd have gone with the c-sections as well!
April 12th, 2013, 05:18 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
Sounds to me like one of the entitled celebrity types that use a surrogate so they don't mess up their body, horrible!
jkgreen likes this.

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
April 12th, 2013, 05:48 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I think that is a stupid reason and for most mothers/babies a vaginal birth is probably the best. It is still the mom's decision.

But, depending on who you ask, I am probably having an "elective" c-section since I'm not trying for a VBAC. In my area there aren't many drs who will allow VBACs, so rather than seek one out, I chose a practice near my house that is a size I'm comfortable with (2 drs) and with drs I'm comfortable with. Also, to me personally, I had a pretty easy recovery from my c-section so a vaginal birth is the unknown scary thing to me, even though I know the chances (statistically) of serious complications are less.

April 12th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking here from the Oct. DDC (I thought this was an interesting discussion... hope you don't mind!)... I'm a pretty firm believer in letting people do what they want to their bodies. But when someone has a dumb reason like that for wanting an elective c-section, it makes me wonder if they're really aware of the possible consequences. For instance, a c-section baby is more likely to have fluid in its lungs and require a NICU stay. Also, a c-section scar can impact future pregnancies... I just had a friend who had a subsequent pregnancy implant in her c-section scar, and she not only had to terminate the pregnancy, but almost needed a hysterectomy and was told she can't have any more babies. When there's some medical reason for the c-section (like previous bad tearing, previous c-section, baby is breech or large, etc.), then fine. But if someone is just worried about the cosmetics, perhaps she should at least become more informed about all the possible consequences for both herself, her child, and her future children (if she plans to have any). Then if she wants to still go ahead and do it, then I guess that's only her health and her babies' health at risk, and it wouldn't be my place to say anything. But I'd expect that her doctors could (and should) refuse to undertake such a risky procedure that is not medically indicated at all.

August 2012 December 2012
April 12th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Going to just put it out there, but "Every woman should have a choice unless it is for a reason that I don't like or is unimportant/frivolous to me" is the opposite of every woman should have a choice. The sentence makes no sense.

Either women have a choice, or they don't.
MindyRambo, lalap and appletree like this.

April 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Going to just put it out there, but "Every woman should have a choice unless it is for a reason that I don't like or is unimportant/frivolous to me" is the opposite of every woman should have a choice. The sentence makes no sense.

Either women have a choice, or they don't.
You can still think a woman's choice/reason for a c section is not a good one without wanting to take her choice away, in the end it is still her choice however stupid it may be.

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
April 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM
You can, but does one actually have a right to voice an opinion on something that has absolutely no effect on them?

We have had many posts on here by women claiming that it upsets them when people mock them for wanting an all natural birth and how they are being judged, how is this any different? Say if I think that a woman wanting a natural birth is wanting one for frivolous reasons, do I have a right to go all judgey mcjudgerson?

Also, a stupid reason is in the eye of the beholder. We live in a society where women are judged on their genitalia, women are meant to be tight and barbie-doll like in order to be perceived as sexually attractive. It is a media perpetuated stereotype that many many women battle with in the form of body dysmorphia. Does anyone have a right to condemn a woman for suffering and being a product of that?
lalap and appletree like this.

Last edited by Kiam; April 12th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
April 13th, 2013, 09:39 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
My opinion...to each her own.

I had an emergency c/s with DS and while my "lady parts" are fine...I wouldn't say it was a breeze or an easy recovery. Everyone I've known that has had a vaginal delivery has been pretty happy with their recovery time. I'm hoping to attempt a vbac this time, but if I end up with a c/s for whatever reason, I'm completely OK with it as long as baby is healthy!
offthewallfilms likes this.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Here in the UK you can not have a elective section under the NHS.

They are only done if the doc deems it a risk for the baby either before term, at term or during labour.

The rate of sections here in the UK in the hospital I am choosing is 12% which is very low.

Each to their own.. if they do not want to experience what our bodies do naturally and have it all worth while when you can say "I did it" then its up to them.

I had a bad vaginal with Serenity with the stitches but I have known people to have horrible c section recoveries. I would be devastated if I had to have a c section after experiencing the wonder of natural birth.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

April 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Super Mommy
I believe in c-sections when there is a risk to mother or baby. My idea of "risks" include mental barriers that will prevent you from having a regular vaginal delivery. It makes much more sense to have a c-section than to have a vaginal delivery that is going to do nothing but stress you or baby out. There are also considerable risks involved with VBACs, so I do not consider repeat c-sections to be elective

That being said, choosing an elective c-section because you are superficial??! Not cool.
April 14th, 2013, 03:29 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
But who gets to be the judge of whether or not a woman's reason is "good enough." That's a slippery slope. My body, my choice. My sister had an elective c-section, and it just so happens that it saved her baby's life. My niece was born with a serious heart defect (that was undiagnosed in utero) and would not have survived natural birth. What if she had been denied a c-section because her doctor didn't think her just electing one was reason enough?
MindyRambo likes this.
April 14th, 2013, 06:16 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would've been awful, but you also can't say for 150% sure she would not of made it.

I can very easily say "to each their own and do what we want with our bodies", however it is still very much in my own opinion insane and selfish to do so. That is in NO way hypocritical, it is me saying...DON'T tell me what to do with my body (or someone else), but I will say that I think it is stupid and a no good reason. Difference.
April 14th, 2013, 06:42 PM
The point is that you rarely know the full story of what is happening in someone else's life, you don't know whether it is a 'stupid' reason or not, you are assuming based on the limited information you have and an uninformed judgement. That is not okay.

April 14th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran
This is very much different strokes for different folks.

My friend had a 12 lbs baby vaginally... no stitches, great recovery..
Another friend had a 6lbs baby vaginal, ripped to pieces and nearly died from blood loss

Its not always the size of the prize but it very much depends on how accommodating how large mums "garden" is.

Lord knows I wasnt going to get a 8lbs 10 baby out of me and trust me, i tried 14 hours worth FROM 3cm dilated +++ I dont even want to know how long it was from the first contraction.

Some peoples bodies are great for vaginal and some babys just pop on out, like my sisters did ( first child... 6 hours labor in total..)

I will not have anyone telling me different because trust me I have been through all the "oh you should not have done a c-sec! that hospital is terrible, they know nothing"

Theres nothing worse than people who throw ceasars all into the same basket.

Its like throwing natural births into the same basket... a woman who hires a blow up bath and gets her sister over as midwife role with no medical experience to someone in a natural birthing centre with medically trained staff. Or the woman on youtube rocking back and forth on a mat in the river giving birth to a baby with flies all around it.

It isnt all black and white and personally id not write this woman off as anything considering... she is the one with a medical background compared to probably handfuls of unqualified individuals making assumptions or judgments..

Anyone know if she was like me and had a pelvimmetry scan that would show the child may not fit and thus either become an emergency and indeed literally "ruin the lady parts" to the point of hemmoraging?? is there a genetic condition in the family which would prompt her for this choice?

As for her lady parts being torn to shreds, I remember fondly the radiologist who last did my scan talking about how she, personally had to have a dozen surgeries on her parts after her natural births and she was a big advocate for c-sec after that... and she has been scanning other ladies parts since the 1980s.

Perhaps the lady in question.being in a medical profession too has seen some things that one wouldnt want to endure. When making her statement perhaps she did not care to go into what may be an array of other reasons why she wanted a c-sec.

Its just silly to me so many people would have some kind of meltdown when it comes to these things. I am sure the woman being in a medical field would be *educated* enough to make a sensible decision.....
April 14th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran
Quote:
You can, but does one actually have a right to voice an opinion on something that has absolutely no effect on them?

We have had many posts on here by women claiming that it upsets them when people mock them for wanting an all natural birth and how they are being judged, how is this any different? Say if I think that a woman wanting a natural birth is wanting one for frivolous reasons, do I have a right to go all judgey mcjudgerson?

Also, a stupid reason is in the eye of the beholder. We live in a society where women are judged on their genitalia, women are meant to be tight and barbie-doll like in order to be perceived as sexually attractive. It is a media perpetuated stereotype that many many women battle with in the form of body dysmorphia. Does anyone have a right to condemn a woman for suffering and being a product of that?
Love this
April 14th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Depends on what you are used to too. For me a c-section sounds pretty darn cruisy, but I have been under the knife so many times that it means nothing to me. Need to hack me up again? Cool, go ahead, it's nothing new.
favourite poster
April 16th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not believe elective c-sections are a good idea at all. I believe they are wonderful and lifesaving for emergency scenarios and I am very thankful for their existence. However, we still need to remember that this is major abdominal surgery with potential complications for both mom and baby. Appletree, the scenarios you listed sound like they fall into the medically justified category, so I really am just referring to people who choose c sections for fully superficial reasons. Honestly, it just makes me really sad that a woman would rather risk the health of herself and her baby just to potentially look better after birth. I think c sections have become so common that many people (especially here in socal) seem to forget or minimize the risks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search