Your thoughts on elective c-sections..

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 01:57 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I saw this on June DDC and it got me thinking. A member over there has a friend that is electing to have a C-section so "the baby doesn't mess up her lady parts". This is her first child and both herself and her husband are in the medical field. Everyone in June DDC seemed to be shocked that this was legal and people would elect to have a csection over a vaginal delivery.

I have had both, vaginal and csection (baby was breech). After my csection I told my husband I would have 10 kids if I had them by csection. I would much rather have pain in my stomach than not be able to pee or poo for weeks without SOO much pain. I may be the odd person out though. My recovery from my csection was much faster for me, I thought. I did have a few stitches with my vaginal birth but nothing bad, I just remember the recovery being worse than my csection. Of course the first 3 days were horrible and I felt like my insides were going to fall on the floor but after that my husband and mother basically had to threaten me to keep me from cleaning and doing everything because I really felt pretty good. I will be having a csection this time because of the past and really have no worries. This may be wrong of me and it may turn out to be a horrible experience, but my last was great..lol..

What are your thoughts on people that elect to have csections???
April 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I am in the camp that women can do whatever they want with their bodies. They make their choices, I make mine.

I wouldn't opt for a c-section. Thats just me, but no judgement for those who do.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

April 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I had a terrible vaginal birth & recovery with my oldest son. My Dr recommended a csection for #2 because he was big as well (1 st baby was 10 lbs) & he didn't recommend me trying to have another vaginal delivery..the decision was entirely up to me in the end but I agreed & had a c-section. I ended up allergic to the tape they used on me after surgery so that made my recovery even more painful but my 2nd c-section was a breeze, I felt pretty good within a few days of surgery. I don't regret having a c-section at all. I wouldn't personally choose to have one just so I didn't mess up my "lady parts" but wouldn't judge someone who did either.
Karenna and appletree like this.
April 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I strongly believe that a cesarean should only be utilized if it's in the best interest of the baby, or if delivering otherwise is very dangerous to the mother. I think it is a procedure that is highly over used for a lot of the wrong reasons these days. Yes it is a valuable tool that is completely medically necessary sometimes, however it is abused.

As for people who have them, I have no opinion really. As long as she isn't risking her childs life I see no issue with a woman deciding. If it is something that a woman wants then to h*ll with what anyone else thinks. She is the only one in charge of her body.
jersey_gray and captivate like this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; April 11th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
April 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think its alarming the number of C-sections that are given out in North America. I agree with NinjaCakes, C-Sections should be given only if they are medically necessary.
That being said, I ended up having a C-Section with my first child. I was open minded to the whole birth situation, not having strong opinions either way about 'natural' birth or 'meds' etc.
My C-Section was not an emergency and I felt pressured into it because my doctor literally told me 'her shift was ending and my family was all in the next room waiting'. I had only been in labour for 7 hours and the baby was not experiencing any stress. Who knows if I needed one medically but I did feel a bit cheated out of the birth experience. I could not help but wonder what would have happened if I just waited it out.
Indiana was a healthy happy baby and obviously I was not upset with the birth results. My milk did not come in for another week possibly due to C-Section. I also felt helpless in the first few days because I could not get up from the bed.
This time around, I elected to try a vaginal birth. I want to see which recovery is better as I've heard different things.
We'll see

April 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every woman is entitled to choose what happens to her body, obviously emergency situations change things, but in general I don't care for the mindset that women should have to do something a certain way just because it's "natural". Very few things humans do are natural, that's why we have advanced as far as we have.
jkgreen likes this.

April 11th, 2013, 04:37 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally would never choose to have a csection. If it was medically necessary because the baby's life or mine was at risk then ok do what you need to do. I had a very very hard recovery after my vaginal birth of DS1 with tears inside and out, top and bottom and being stitched up for over an hour. I had DS2 vaginally as well and the whole experience, labor birth an recovery were completely different and actually very empowering.

As for having it mess up her lady area...doesn't she realize she'll have a scar from a csection? But I too say it's her body if that's what she chooses then that's for her to deal with, not something I would do though.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

April 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I'm with NinjaCakes. I think that unless it is medically necessary for the baby and/or endangering the mother c-sections should not be an option. I've had two vaginal births with a c-section between them... I would NEVER wish a c-section on anyone. Not only is it a major surgery, it also has the potential of causing so many more health issues than a vaginal birth. I honestly believe that in the US we have WAY too many unnecessary c-sections and are creating easier ways for doctors to push and scare women who don't want/need c-sections into consenting.
jersey_gray likes this.
April 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Twin Mama
I do not judge those who have them, it's their choice and body not mine.

That being said, my is that elective, as in "I don't want my lady bits messed up" c-sections should not be allowed. C-sections should be reserved for medical necessity, breech baby, it being safer due to risk to mother &/or child, prior c-section/medical issues and not wanting to or being legally allowed to try VBAC, ect. Not the vanity of your crotch not looking/feeling like a war zone.

Also just because you are having a scheduled c-section does not mean it's elective and not medically necessary, big difference. If my babies are breech I will need a scheduled c-section but it will be by no means elective.
luvHim and jersey_gray like this.

April 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well if every woman has the right to choose something like that, and they do, then I have the right to judge them.. I very strongly feel that a csection for reasons like that are unbelievably selfish. Why would you not only put a higher risk on yourself (mother mortality and infection etc) but also put higher health risks on your baby (fluid in the lungs )! Shocking! ....

This is in responce to saving your lady bits... And any other selfish reason... NOT good reasons, just so no one gets their panties in a bunch!
luvHim and jersey_gray like this.

April 11th, 2013, 06:21 PM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
I am terrified of having to have a c-section and would love to have another vaginal birth. That being said, I had an episiotomy with my first and still have pain with it sometimes (almost 2 years later). The Dr. swears it healed fine but I'm not so sure. So I guess I can see her viewpoint even though I still wouldn't opt for a section.

April 11th, 2013, 06:33 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I guess I don't care either way for other people.. It's not hurting me personally or morally if they have a c-section to preserve their "lady-parts" or whatever reason they choose. I categorize that in the same spot I put the- "I want a baby, but would rather have a surrogate or adopt to preserve my body" It doesn't hurt me personally what they do or don't do. The options are there for people for a reason.

One question: She doesn't want her lady-parts to be ... well .. for whatever reason.. but she isn't worried about a permanent scar? I would guess I would see the effects of my scar rather than my coo-ka?

April 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Veteran
I delivered my first vaginally with terrible tearing and a long, long painful recovery. My doc informed me that if I tried to vaginally deliver my second child that I stood a good chance of not being able to control my bowel movements in the future. Since I didn't relish the idea of spontaneously and uncontrollably pooping my pants for the rest of my life, I elected to have a c section for my second kid. I will be electing to do so again this time.

Because, well, I'm pretty sure uncontrollable poop would get me kicked out of my mommy playgroup.
April 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I am very lax and not judgemental at all so I say to each their own. I, personally won't have a c-section unless it's medically necessary.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
April 11th, 2013, 06:38 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I had a c/section with my first, there were a few different things that made my during the section a nightmare and something I don't want to repeat, but my recovery after the first 24hrs(because I was confined to the bed thanks to mag sulfate) was amazing. Of course I have nothing to compare it to but overall I think I probably got the better end of that recovery stick. I do believe everyone has the right to have what they want possible and I'm not gonna judge them for it because I don't want to be judged for what I do either.

April 11th, 2013, 06:39 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was 10lbs and destroyed my "girl parts". I felt I had been through a WW for weeks and weeks after down there, and when I vaginally gave birth to my son they reconstructed what they could fix down there. That being said, I'm doing number 3 vaginally as well. No part of me wants to be cleaved open

Personally though, I honestly don't care what/how other women choose to deliver their children. I hope everyone ends up with a healthy baby, and I hope that they'd try a vaginal (cost is so much lower and health wise, it is a bit safer), but honestly, if you can't/feel you can't - then go for the c/s.
appletree likes this.

April 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am about as liberal as they come. Your body, your right to do as you see fit. Do I think that is an assinine reason? Yes. Do I think it is selfish? Yes. However, no one should be able to tell me what I do with my body. Ever. Most of you know I am doing an home birth, you see from my siggy I don't vaccinate and so on. I am pretty darn "crunchy" when it comes to a lot of things health related, but...in the end, it is that womans body. If she chooses to put herself and her baby at a risk like that for a SILLY reason, then more power to her.
keekopeeko likes this.
April 11th, 2013, 08:40 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I personally would never choose to have a c-section .. i dont even want pitocin ... I honestly think C-section should only be used for emergency purposes, but if a women elect to have one who am i to judge..... i sure i made decisions many people wouldnt agree with in my life and i could careless what anyone thought.

April 11th, 2013, 08:59 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
An additional aspect I was thinking about after I logged off is that the parents making these decisions are often not educated to all of the facts of the situation. The way it seems even some doctors are not, or just don't care. In that sense I think that a certain amount of education should be required beforehand. But that is an opinion for an ideal world, in which we obviously do not live

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 11th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Depends on what you are used to too. For me a c-section sounds pretty darn cruisy, but I have been under the knife so many times that it means nothing to me. Need to hack me up again? Cool, go ahead, it's nothing new.
appletree likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search