Crib bumpers ??

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran
So I was at the fabric shop and was buying fabric for the babies crib set. The lady asked how much I need and I said 6.5 yard should do for a blanket and crib bumper. This older woman behind me went into a frenzy.

She said that they no longer allow crib bumpers in cribs, they are dangerous and kill children. I said I had no idea they were outlawed because I was just at babies r us and they are still selling them. She had another facial freakout and said I should do more research about having children etc and that bumpers kill children and pediatrician recommend against them etc.

I said I know many people with children and have never heard it but would look into it. She was kind of weird about the fact that I still bought the material, so the lady behind her said that everything with children changes so quickly and she didnt think they would "outlaw" crib bumpers because one child suffocated. Holy hell that broke out a huge argument about how could she call it "one child" she has friends who have lost children and that I (who did not say anything like that) and the other lady were inconsiderate of human life etc... Finally I told her that I had a brother who passed at just over 5 months old of SIDS so I understand that it is a terrible thing.

Sooo with all that... anyone here not using a crib bumper, I did read that 27 children in the US have died due to crib bumpers not being used properly and one child rolled into it and did suffocate. Anyone not using one or have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
April 15th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Super Mommy
I've heard that they are no longer recommended. I didn't make one, but most people I know get them because they go with a set. Take some pictures and then take them out of the crib before the baby goes in it.

That being said, the other woman should have left it alone. Maybe mention it once so that you know, but to keep harping on it was uncalled for.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
April 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm pretty sure they aren't "outlawed" but they also arent recommended. I left them in for DD, til she started rolling, then I replaced them with some breathable ones so she wouldn't get her arms and legs stuck and wake up. There are so many things that are or arent recommended and its constantly changing. Another thing "against the rules" we did was let DD sleep on her tummy from about 8 weeks. She slept so much better that way.

April 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I bought a mesh bumper, so that her arms and legs won't get stuck out of the crib, but she can breathe if she rolls into it.

I wouldn't use a normal bumper, but it isn't illegal. Just not recommended.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

April 15th, 2013, 11:51 AM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
I had them with DD and took them out just a few months ago (she's almost 21 months). When they are tiny they can't roll around and get stuck into them and when they do start moving she just moved away from them. It was never an issue for us. I don't have bumpers yet for baby boy but will probably get some breathable ones since we aren't buying a crib set. I really think if you secure them properly though it's fine.

April 15th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They are not outlawed, but are super dangerous. I have a mesh breathable one on my registry...that seems to be the safe way to go.

April 15th, 2013, 12:42 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Wow. I don't know that a freak out of that proportion was merited. You never see anyone foaming at the mouth over parents smoking around their children, and that's much more dangerous (and selfish, and disgusting) than crib bumpers.

I've heard the same about cloth crib bumpers - everyone seems to say to go with the mesh ones, now. However I actively sought out the information. Before that I hadn't heard or read anything. The information just doesn't seem to be out there in the "common knowledge" pool. I also know people who do still use them and I see them in stores despite the warnings so I definitely don't think they're outlawed.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We've used crib bumpers with the three boys... When this baby is big enough to go into the crib instead of bassinet I'll use the crib bumpers again. They're not recommended because they can come loose and baby can get caught up in them but if they're secured properly it shouldn't be an issue. I do have a set of breathable but I don't use them till baby is moving around more.
April 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran
I will take a look at the breathable ones. Thanks everyone.
April 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Like the others have said, they aren't recommended...but they come in every bedding set! That's why we opted to by sheets and curtains separately this time. We used a mesh bumper with DS and will do the same with this little guy. DS would always get his arms & legs stuck if he didn't have something to keep him in.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 15th, 2013, 06:55 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They arent illegal here in Canada but they arent recommended. We dont use one just to be on the safe side. That being said they are still sold here and I know moms that use them...to each their own...I loved my bumbo and some people think those are unsafe.

"Health Canada does not recommend the use of bumper pads in cribs because they pose an entanglement, entrapment, strangulation, and suffocation hazard to infants."
April 15th, 2013, 07:02 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are still sold, yes. They are not recommended no. Cigarettes are still sold, but not recommended.

I had a mesh bumper for my current 11 month old. He moved to the crib when he was 4 months old. I was very thankful I had a mesh bumper. He was always smooshing his face into it. I currently have 2 bumpers for K, not sure what I am doing yet. I will probably get another mesh one.
April 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I will prolly use on right in the beginning before he can move around, but I will get mesh ones though...

April 15th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Twin Mama
i registered for mesh ones and my bedding sets didn't come with bumpers thankfully so no aste on those.

April 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran
I know they do still sell them, They have been frowned on in Australia for at least 12 years when I had my first dd
I dont use them, they are not necessary for me
April 15th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to go for the mesh bumper too. The fabric ones are gorgeous though. I was contemplating making a cot bumper but decided to uses the fabric i have for a cot skirt instead. Each to their own I guess.
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

April 16th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I won't be using a crib bumper due to the risks but they are legal.
April 16th, 2013, 06:02 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still use them.. BUT my babies don't sleep in their cribs until they are 12ish months...

April 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i didn't think they were legal here in Canada..
They are not sold with crib sets here normally.
I found them useful because Indiana didn't get the leg or arm stuck in the crib, but I didn't put them on until the she was older and rolling around. She slept in her bassinet for the first 6 months anyway.
Not sure what I'll do this time around. I like the idea of the mesh ones.

April 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
We used one for DD.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search