Bad news...I failed

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kiam
  • 1 Post By Logiesmomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
I failed my 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I am waiting for someone to come out from behind my curtains and say, "just kidding".

This perplexes me. I didn't have GD with my last two pregnancies. I started this pregnancy healthier than my last two. I was exercising and eating very healthy and controlled. I was overweight (size 10) but not obese by any means.

This has easily been the most miserable pregnancy of the three symptom wise though.

Off to the diabetes educator to learn how I will manage it. My concerns don't lie in how this will affect my quality of life. My concerns are for our son and the dangers it poses to him.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
April 17th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I an really surprised that so many ladies on here keep mentioning weight and GD. Weight is one risk factor out of about 10 for GD, and it is a risk factor, not a cause at all. There are so many other things, such as family history, age, ethnicity and number of pregnancies that also come into play. The cause is hormones released during pregnancy interacting with insulin in a negative way.

Sorry, I'll hop off my soapbox now, but it's grating on me how so many people don't seem to know what it is (or that it is not at all the same as type 2 diabetes).

Good luck at your appointment
sethsgirl and appletree like this.

April 17th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes weight can play a role but there are many other factors also. This is my 3rd pregnancy with GD. It's quite easy to manage and your son should be completely fine as long as you stay on your diet and monitor your sugars. Good luck!
keekopeeko likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 03:35 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bummer mama,,, it can be managed though! You and baby will be just fine

April 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
That is a bummer for sure. I don't know much about the implications of GD but what I do know is a little frightening. Hopefully they can shed some light on ways to keep the impact on baby to a minimum.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search