Cloth Diapers...opinions needed! (Long)

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sethsgirl
  • 1 Post By countrygirl95648

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Super Mommy
This is my cloth diaper stash so far:

I have:

4 BG OS AIO
2 BG 4.0 OS Pockets
1 Charlie Banana Pocket

6 Happy Heinys Mini OS Pockets (5-15lbs)
4 Blueberry Mini Coveralls (6-18lbs)
12 Bummis Preemie Prefolds (4-9lbs)
12 Bummis Infant Prefolds (7-20lbs)

3 Snappis

Each of the pockets comes with 2 microfibre inserts, so that's 18 overall. I'm wondering what I should add...I'm not too concerned about the OS diapers yet, because I know the newborn stash (once completed) should carry us for the first few months. I didn't intend on buying AIOs, but I got them for a REALLY good deal! I've slowly been adding to my collection every pay day.

I'm thinking about adding...

Newborn:
6 more Infant prefolds
2-4 more covers
6 more Happy Heiny Minis

One Size:
10 more BG 4.0 pockets
6 Flip covers + 18 inserts, + disposable inserts

SO IN TOTAL I WOULD HAVE:

Newborn:
12 Happy Heinys Mini OS Pockets (5-15lbs)
6-8 newborn covers
12 Bummis Preemie Prefolds (4-9lbs)
18 Bummis Infant Prefolds (7-20lbs)

One Size:
4 BG OS AIO
12 BG 4.0 OS Pockets
1 Charlie Banana Pocket
6 Flip covers + 18 inserts, + disposable inserts

Would this make sense? Is this too many, or too few? I want to do laundry every 2nd to 3rd day. Should I go in a different direction? I have no interest in fitteds. The main reason I want more infant prefolds is because I'm now predicted to have a larger baby (heavy 8lbs if baby stays on the same growth curve), but I know I can use the preemie ones for other things.

Should I buy more diapers now, or wait until baby is born and we see what works best for us? The only problem with waiting is that I want to buy more diapers NOW!!! I plan on adding some hemp/bamboo inserts over time.

Should I buy some less expensive OS Pockets to begin with, and slowly add to my BG stash, or should I go for the BG right away (since I'm pretty sure that's where we'll end up, as that is what the majority of people have recommended to me)?

Sorry this is so long. And I feel like it won't make sense to anyone but me. I would have posted this on the CDing forum...but I feel like you ladies know just as much (if not more!).
April 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran
I will honestly say I'm jealous. I soo wanted to do this for our little man, BUT dad and sitters (for when i return to work) are totally against it. GRRRRR Even though I showed them all the price savings and all, they won't seem to budge. I might just sneak some in for when I'm home. Let my little guys heiny have a rest. I think your stock looks great. But still jealous :-) So happy for you being able to do this.
April 17th, 2013, 01:06 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I honestly have no clue because I'm a cloth diaper newb this time around but it looks like you have a really good stash so far. I also wanted to keep this bumped for you so someone could hopefully help you out

April 17th, 2013, 02:34 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I would stick with what you have until you see what you like. I think you have plenty for a newborn which would mean plenty for a while. I still use my infant prefolds on my 30 pound 22 month old there are so many ways to fold them and I think the bigger ones are too big so you'll may be set for almost your whole time diapering with what you have. You and your DH may like different types too, I like prefolds (you can use a cover more than once if there's no poop on it) and my DH likes pocket since he can just put it on like a disposable. But I hear you wih wanting to buy more, it's addicting! Lol
mommamuffin likes this.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

April 17th, 2013, 03:27 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
This is my 1st time cloth diapering so I'm not much help but I don't think you'd really NEED to buy more for awhile. Although, I totally understand wanting to buy more I have 21 diapers right now & I know I should stop until I see what works best & which ones we don't like but I keep ordering more!
April 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran
If you wanted to try a different newborn, for the explosive bowel movements, Green Mountain Diapers, Work Horse Fitted are $5.50 each and have an extra soaker liner, I have 11 of those and 12 prefolds. I really like the work horse fitteds... you do need a cover with them but any will work. PS we have the same dino cover!! I should be set for Diapers from start to finish and have spent just under 300 bucks!
sethsgirl likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would stick with what you have, maybe get a few more NB sizes. My son can't wear BG because of the inners, and this is fairly common with a lot of babies. He is allergic to them, alvas, kawaii and anything else with synthetic fibers (suede cloth inners). I would wait around on getting more OS diapers, for the very reason..you don't know what will work. That being said, it is SO easy to sell and buy new ones just recently had to revamp my stash to get rid of all the suede cloth inners and at one point I was down to 10 diapers...you see what I have now, lol. I was every other day, and you shouldn't go past that too many times. Once in awhile is OK...but not as a regular routine. CD is FUN and addicting
April 18th, 2013, 04:40 AM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Seems you have pretty good stash and like another poster said you may find you like something else better than the other.

I'm using prefolds with duo wraps and wool pull overs which I'm in love with. Lol I used BG pocket diapers with my daughter and found myself always having to strip my diapers I've been told that this is less of an issue with prefolds and easier wash routine for me is heaven sent with my nearly 50 hour work week.

Your stash is super cute and good luck using cloth

April 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree with Colleen, stick with what you have until you decide what you like. You don't want to invest too much money into one kind of dipe and then discover that you hate them.

You also never know what kind of pee-er your babe will be. Isabelle is a SUPER HEAVY WETTER and leaks through the most absorbent dipes. My entire group of fluff loving mamas are at a total loss to stem her pee leakage. That being said, she can't use regular single-stuffed pockets or AIOs. I have to double stuff everything or use fitteds. Hopefully this does not happen to you, but you never know...so you should just take it slowly (easier said than done, right?) and build it up!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search