Am I the ONLY one in the GD club?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LeslieRN72
  • 2 Post By LeslieRN72

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Not that I want anyone else to get it! Just wondering if anyone else so far has Gestational Diabetes?
April 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
You're not alone! I went to my class on Wednesday. I got my meter and learned how to manage the diet. I am in the anemia club as well. Today I joined the best club of all. The pregnancy induced hypertension club! My OB ordered Procardia for me. I've never taken an anti-hypertensive, so this should be interesting. I'm praying that I don't start spilling protein and cross over into the preeclampsia club.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
April 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Me!
Went to my class last Friday. Didn't get a monitor though because I am borderline, they just want me to follow the diet.

April 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am too! I was diagnosed earlier in my pregnancy so I've been on the diet and using the monitor for a couple of months.

April 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM
*Another note for iPhone users* I looked at a lot of apps to keep track of my food and BS. I narrowed it down to three then downloaded the lite version of 3 of them. They were Glucose Buddy, In Check, and Track3. After playing around with them I decided I like Track3 the best. I ended up upgrading it to the full version for $2.99. It's worth every penny if you like to be organized.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
April 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I am, but I have to go back in tomorrow because I can't get the stinking meter to work :/

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 25th, 2013, 05:19 PM
What kinds of foods is everyone eating? I am struggling to get in my carbs because I've been so afraid to touch them! But I know carbs are important for babies brain development.
I haven't taken a class or anything yet... I got a prescription for a meter and a couple crappy hand outs and they sent me on my way..
I do have to start seeing a high risk doctor now though.. Maybe they will give me a lesson? I've done tons of research but I still can't wrap my brain around how many carbs and how many proteins and fats I need!
April 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I have my GTT next week and I am gettting nervous not because of my diet but because of my age and because of so many posters surprise diagnosis.

Thanks for info on app ....sounds good if things go that direction.

April 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnesOnTheWay View Post
What kinds of foods is everyone eating? I am struggling to get in my carbs because I've been so afraid to touch them! But I know carbs are important for babies brain development.
I haven't taken a class or anything yet... I got a prescription for a meter and a couple crappy hand outs and they sent me on my way..
I do have to start seeing a high risk doctor now though.. Maybe they will give me a lesson? I've done tons of research but I still can't wrap my brain around how many carbs and how many proteins and fats I need!
I felt exactly the same way, until I went to my class! The internet wasn't as helpful as I expected.

Here is how my GD diabetes educator and nutritionist broke things down for all the Moms in my class. I don't know what they do it in other places:

Check fasting blood sugar before you eat in am.
Breakfast: Carbs 30-45 g
Check blood sugar 2 hours after breakfast
Snack: Carbs 15-30 g
Lunch: Carbs 45-60 g
Check blood sugar 2 hours after lunch
Dinner: Carbs 45-60 g
Check blood sugar 2 hours after dinner
Snack: Carbs 15-30g

How does that translate for me? I generally eat every 2 hours, whether it's a meal or snack. The higher the protein, the better.
Breakfast: 1 english muffin with 1 egg and 1 slice of cheese.
Snacks: Some type of fruit: 1 Banana or 1 apple or other fruit. I eat a lot of peanut butter also.
Lunch: Sandwich with some type of meat, cheese, veggies, mayo, on wheat bread.
Dinner: Anything balanced-meat, veggie, starch. A small potato is fine. I have salad with dinner-no carbs. Regular salad dressing has less carbs than light/fat free.

Anything wrapped in a tortilla is great. Tortillas don't have a lot of carbs. Spread cream cheese on celery. String cheese is great. You would be surprised at what you can and cannot eat out. I could have 6 KFC breaded chicken breasts and still not go over my dinner carb allowance (not that I could do that in a million years).

Make sure you get your calcium-very important for baby. Fruit juice-I would stay away. It has a lot of carbs in a small amount and doesn't really satiate you.

I have cut out all candy, etc. My sugars were really labile in my 3 hour test. I spiked to 200 one hour, then dropped to 49 the next.

One thing our nutritionist taught us is that "a carb is a carb". You don't have to deprive yourself either. If you want some ice cream every so often for a snack, eat it. At least you will be getting calcium. But, make sure you measure your portions. One serving is much smaller than you think.

Also, just because something says "sugar free" does not mean it is Carb free. Check your labels.

I am lucky. I had great educators. Plus, they have me logging my food and blood sugars. I will be communicating with a diabetes nurse daily, starting Monday to adjust my diet/carb intake according to how well my blood sugar is controlled.

I hope they do a better job and offer you education. I'm an RN and still was confused prior to my class. I couldn't imagine them just handing that stuff to a patient and saying, "here you go, have at it". That just doesn't seem right.

April 25th, 2013, 07:17 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I had my 3-hr glucose yesterday...so, I should know by Monday whether or not I'm in "the club"!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
April 25th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One tip I was given was to switch the carbs I usually eat (pasta, flour and such) to wholemeal, as it is slow-release (and of course, not as refined) so it satisfies for much longer and because it is more filling, you eat smaller portions.

I found that I could only eat about 3/4 of the serve of pasta I normally eat with wholemeal pasta than I could with white, and I wasn't craving bread afterwards and I always crave bread after pasta, and it really filled me up for much longer.

April 26th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I got the diagnosis - I am in "the club". I'm very nervous about it because my diet mainly consists of carbs and fruits and stuff. I meet with my diabetic educator-nutritionist lady on Monday immediately after my regular 28 week dr appt. He also told me that he'll be checking my blood sugar levels at every appointment now - I guess that means I won't need to be testing at home?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
April 26th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamuffin View Post
I got the diagnosis - I am in "the club". I'm very nervous about it because my diet mainly consists of carbs and fruits and stuff. I meet with my diabetic educator-nutritionist lady on Monday immediately after my regular 28 week dr appt. He also told me that he'll be checking my blood sugar levels at every appointment now - I guess that means I won't need to be testing at home?

It's not as bad as you think. Portions may be smaller, but you can still eat carbs. I eat fresh fruit daily, it's a great source of fiber and nutrients.

It's really important to make sure we maintain our diets for our children's well-being. We are in control. They are small sacrifices in order to achieve a positive outcome. You will be just fine.

April 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Thank you! Your post was very helpful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieRN72 View Post
I felt exactly the same way, until I went to my class! The internet wasn't as helpful as I expected.

Here is how my GD diabetes educator and nutritionist broke things down for all the Moms in my class. I don't know what they do it in other places:

Check fasting blood sugar before you eat in am.
Breakfast: Carbs 30-45 g
Check blood sugar 2 hours after breakfast
Lunch: Carbs 45-60 g
Check blood sugar 2 hours after lunch
Dinner: Carbs 45-60 g
Check blood sugar 2 hours after dinner
Snack: Carbs 15-30g

How does that translate for me? I generally eat every 2 hours, whether it's a meal or snack. The higher the protein, the better.
Breakfast: 1 english muffin with 1 egg and 1 slice of cheese.
Snacks: Some type of fruit: 1 Banana or 1 apple or other fruit. I eat a lot of peanut butter also.
Lunch: Sandwich with some type of meat, cheese, veggies, mayo, on wheat bread.
Dinner: Anything balanced-meat, veggie, starch. A small potato is fine. I have salad with dinner-no carbs. Regular salad dressing has less carbs than light/fat free.

Anything wrapped in a tortilla is great. Tortillas don't have a lot of carbs. Spread cream cheese on celery. String cheese is great. You would be surprised at what you can and cannot eat out. I could have 6 KFC breaded chicken breasts and still not go over my dinner carb allowance (not that I could do that in a million years).

Make sure you get your calcium-very important for baby. Fruit juice-I would stay away. It has a lot of carbs in a small amount and doesn't really satiate you.

I have cut out all candy, etc. My sugars were really labile in my 3 hour test. I spiked to 200 one hour, then dropped to 49 the next.

One thing our nutritionist taught us is that "a carb is a carb". You don't have to deprive yourself either. If you want some ice cream every so often for a snack, eat it. At least you will be getting calcium. But, make sure you measure your portions. One serving is much smaller than you think.

Also, just because something says "sugar free" does not mean it is Carb free. Check your labels.

I am lucky. I had great educators. Plus, they have me logging my food and blood sugars. I will be communicating with a diabetes nurse daily, starting Monday to adjust my diet/carb intake according to how well my blood sugar is controlled.

I hope they do a better job and offer you education. I'm an RN and still was confused prior to my class. I couldn't imagine them just handing that stuff to a patient and saying, "here you go, have at it". That just doesn't seem right.
Quote:
Maybe they are going to wait and see what your numbers look like in the office?
April 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I hope my class is as informative as yours! I really like specifics and the internet was, like you said, not as helpful as I thought it would be. I'm really hoping to get a good idea of what and what not to eat.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; April 26th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
April 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I'm shocked there isn't more information readily available online! I looked into this appointment I have tomorrow, and it's apparently a 60 minute appointment...wow! I didn't expect it to be so long! I wonder if they'll have me continue to meet back with her throughout the rest of the pregnancy, or if they just have me meet with her once for the information and that's it.

Do you usually get more ultrasounds with GD to measure baby's growth? I want an all-natural water birth like I had with my daughter and I'm worried that with the GD that won't be possible due to "big baby" :/

April 28th, 2013, 07:22 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
Quote:
I'm shocked there isn't more information readily available online! I looked into this appointment I have tomorrow, and it's apparently a 60 minute appointment...wow! I didn't expect it to be so long! I wonder if they'll have me continue to meet back with her throughout the rest of the pregnancy, or if they just have me meet with her once for the information and that's it.

Do you usually get more ultrasounds with GD to measure baby's growth? I want an all-natural water birth like I had with my daughter and I'm worried that with the GD that won't be possible due to "big baby" :/
I think you'll probably be OK, my sister had GD both times & both her boys were 7 lbs, she was so afraid that they'd be huge but they weren't

I don't know yet if I'm in the GD club, I had a 3 hr glucose test early in my 2nd trimester & passed it but have to do another one on Wednesday so I could have developed it since then. My diet has been great this whole pregnancy except for the past 2 weeks I've had a huge sweet tooth so I'm a little worried now :/
April 28th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:

I have to start seeing a high risk OB due to the GD and my first appointment is on Thursday. So I will find out about the extra ultrasounds...
They did mention if I have to go on any type of medication I would have to go in for weekly ultrasounds and NSTs.
BUT.. I am not sure if that's still the case if you can manage sugars on your own.

I wanted to go into labor on my own naturally...and I have a feeling this will be a huge FIGHT. My daughter would have easily been a 6 pound baby if it weren't for all the IV fluids I was given during labor.. so I know I don't naturally have big babies (Me & my brothers were all healthy 5 pounders!).. and I have a feeling even if I keep my sugars perfect they will push for induction! I am tired of the "big baby" scare... they tried to do that with my daughter just to find an excuse to induce me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search