Are you going to circumise you baby boy?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree54Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2013, 09:57 PM
#5 = the "Newbie"
Yes, all of our other boys are and this one will be done by the pediatrician before we leave the hospital!

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
April 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
All our boys have been circumcised, as will this one. Our Pediatrician could do it if we wanted. But my husband insists that our OB does the circumcision. His reason is that he would rather have a trained surgeon cutting into his son's penis. It all works fine for me. There is very little our husbands get control over. This is one that runs very dear to a man. I support whatever choice he makes.
jersey_gray likes this.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
April 27th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoamountie View Post
It's not as common anymore in Canada, so he'll be part of the majority uncirc'ed.
It's so interesting how strongly it differs from country to country. I have to be honest, I have never seen a circumcised penis in real life, and I know this is going to sound awful, but we will just leave it at I had issues as a teenager, but I have seen an awful lot of penises. Never seen one circed, the idea is so foreign to me.
.:fearless:. and appletree like this.

April 28th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
If we were having a boy then no.
Hospitals do not do them here and most pediatricians will not do them. It's very uncommon.
its very much frowned upon in many countries now, especially mine. Hard to even find someone who would do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlica View Post
circumcision isnt as common here in Canada only 32% of baby boys have it done these days. I wouldnt if we had a boy but I think we are done at 2 girls so we dont have to worry about that.
only 13% Rate here in oz

Quote:
circumcision isnt as common here in Canada only 32% of baby boys have it done these days. I wouldnt if we had a boy but I think we are done at 2 girls so we dont have to worry about that.
only 13% Rate here in oz
April 28th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wait... does this make it 3 Australians on the board?
WOOHOO!

(sorry, that's completely off topic... ignore me)
appletree likes this.

April 28th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Veteran
should our team green baby be a boy we wont be circumsizing unless it becomes medically necessary -somehow-
April 28th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
My mother had my brother circumcised so I didn't realize that it wasn't so prevalent here (although this would have been back in the 80s - maybe it was more common back then).. I looked up the rate of circumcision in Cuba and it's not specific, it only says "less than 20%". My husband said he's never even heard of anyone back at home being circumcised.
April 28th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran
I left this decision up to DH, and he wants to circumcise, so we'll do it. I haven't researched it far enough to find out which doc performs the surgery or where it's done. I'll leave that up to DH, too. This is his department.
April 28th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Super Mommy
Ok, this is a bit of a weird question but I'm going to need the answer one way or another so here goes...

I had a coworker tell me that for uncircumcised infants, you shouldn't pull back the foreskin to clean underneath.

I thought it was kind of weird advice, because I naturally thought that you should clean underneath there to keep everything sanitary and prevent an infection.

Any thoughts?
April 28th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Cicada's Avatar Regular
You shouldn't pull the skin back until it retracts on its own (which takes a few years from what I understand) as its attached to the head at first. Which is why, if you watch a video of the procedure, it's pretty painful and bloody when they use an instrument to separate the skin from the head.

At first you just clean it like you would a finger without pulling back and skin. Eventually it will separate and slide back on its own.

In the US the rate is something like 55% but lately I've heard that its dropped even lower. I can't find a lower statistic though, someone just told me about it.
April 28th, 2013, 06:08 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The rate is the US really depends on where you live though. I don't know a single male in my area who is uncircumcised. It is the norm here.
April 28th, 2013, 08:20 AM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
Its crazy how different each area and country differ .. i grew up in nyc most of my life and i honestly dont know anyone whos not circumised .. no at all... i wonder if it cause of the time of year i was born .. maybe the younger you are the more educated and opininated people got they stop just going with the flow of the world and start making there own decision .. DH personally want it done but we will also do it cause it part of our religion.

April 28th, 2013, 09:48 AM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh doesnt want us to. I disagree. I want it. I realize its sorta vane for me to want this. I wanted it to be similar to my dh and I like the look better. Oh well not my choice. My dh said that if our son wants it and gets the anesthesia at an older age wed pay for and support it.
offthewallfilms likes this.

April 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM
sweetie77's Avatar Mommy to 3+1
Yes we are and before we leave the hospital
April 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
but I have seen an awful lot of penises.
sorry this made me giggle I too have seen my fair share of penises so I was trying to remember now what the ratio would have been on circ'd to uncirc'd. Then my daughter crawled into my lap and my husband came and cuddled and I felt bad mentally tabulating prior penis's during the sweet moment
Probably 50/50 and I didnt find one way any better than the other.
jkgreen likes this.
April 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Twin Mama
I find it shocking that in my birth class they actually had to make a point and say "make sure the circumcision procedure will be done with the use of local anesthetic"... WTFrak are you kidding me? Thats not just assumed it will be?

I will stop there as this is a very civil thread and I would like to keep it that way. But yeah, that remark just shocked me that they had to point it out.

April 28th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't discussed it this time around (even though we dont know the gender).
We did discuss it thoroughly when I was pregnant with Indiana 5 years ago.
Even though my DH is circed himself, we did research and determined we would leave the decision to baby boy once he grew up. We would pay for it then if he still wanted it. I'm assuming our decision is the same.
To be honest, its getting less and less common here. Doctors don't even bring it up unless you pursue it and I don't think its covered under our universal health care.

April 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're having a girl this time but our other 3 boys are all uncircumcised.
.:fearless:. likes this.

April 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Here in England it is against the law and classed as child abuse if it is done against medical reason.

The only times it can be lawfully done here is if there is a medical reason which is very rare or you are a non English person with a religion which states it needs to be done.

Its a very high touchy law subject over here.

So no.. ill not want to hurt my babe. x

The UK info on it here

Circumcision - NHS Choices
.:fearless:., MindyRambo and Kiam like this.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

April 28th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewallfilms View Post
We haven't discussed it this time around (even though we dont
To be honest, its getting less and less common here. Doctors don't even bring it up unless you pursue it and I don't think its covered under our universal health care.

My coworker told me that she had her son circumcised and she had to pay $200 for the procedure... and that was 8 years ago so it's probably even more expensive now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search