Are you going to circumise you baby boy?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree54Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
This has been a touchy subject between Steve and I. I did a lot of research and presented it to him and asked him why he wanted baby circ'd. The only reason he had was because of the way it looked, and didn't have an answer for me about why put the baby through the pain if it isn't medically necessary except that babies don't remember it...
So, even though Steve isn't ecstatic about it, we will not be doing it if our green baby is a boy.
.:fearless:. and appletree like this.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
April 28th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
You shouldn't pull the skin back until it retracts on its own (which takes a few years from what I understand) as its attached to the head at first. Which is why, if you watch a video of the procedure, it's pretty painful and bloody when they use an instrument to separate the skin from the head.

At first you just clean it like you would a finger without pulling back and skin. Eventually it will separate and slide back on its own.

In the US the rate is something like 55% but lately I've heard that its dropped even lower. I can't find a lower statistic though, someone just told me about it.
yes this is right.

I wouldnt even watch a video of the operation so I figure who am i to subject a baby to that for the sake of family tradition... no thanks.
mommamuffin likes this.
April 28th, 2013, 07:33 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
The rate is the US really depends on where you live though. I don't know a single male in my area who is uncircumcised. It is the norm here.
LOL, it does vary by area...but it's not like you "ask" men if they are whole or not

My ex husband was whole. I circumcised my first 2 boys, but not my last one and if this one would've been a boy he would've been kept whole too.
April 28th, 2013, 07:38 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabri287 View Post
I find it shocking that in my birth class they actually had to make a point and say "make sure the circumcision procedure will be done with the use of local anesthetic"... WTFrak are you kidding me? Thats not just assumed it will be?

I will stop there as this is a very civil thread and I would like to keep it that way. But yeah, that remark just shocked me that they had to point it out.

I was looking up info and I think it's pretty common to not use any anesthetic. According to this study (which I only skimmed, and is a little old now) only 45% of docs doing circumcisions use anesthetic. OBs are least likely to, peds most likely.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or.../101/6/e5.full

April 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
I was looking up info and I think it's pretty common to not use any anesthetic. According to this study (which I only skimmed, and is a little old now) only 45% of docs doing circumcisions use anesthetic. OBs are least likely to, peds most likely.

Circumcision Practice Patterns in the United States
just wow.
April 28th, 2013, 11:25 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
i love that you ladies are civil and amazing <3 Best DDC ever, one might say!

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

April 29th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
i love that you ladies are civil and amazing <3 Best DDC ever, one might say!
I'm not sure but i think there's been a few comments moderated.
Even mine where I posted "wow" regarding non use of anesthetic was removed.....

I don't know how much is being filtered out.

The other day I even posted a link to show everyone my own baby's 3d/4d ultrasound via youtube video (as others have been ok to post their own youtube videos etc)
even that was not allowed however I was allowed to post photos...

Perhaps there has been some levels of censoring on this thread, not sure
April 29th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Veteran
Wow! I can't believe how some docs don't use anything to numb! Thats crazy!. I know that at the hospital i am delivering at, all of the ob's (except for 1, he doesnt circ at all, only 1 ped dr circs) use either emla ceam or lidocaine to numb before the procedure starts. I have seen the it done more times than i can remember. If this baby was a boy, we would have circ'ed, (dh wanted no discussion about it) but i am so glad we are having a girl. Its the aftercare that makes nervous even though i've done it about 100 times.
appletree likes this.
April 29th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Super Mommy
We are. By my OB before we leave the hospital. There are a few reasons for this. First, I told DH that since he had one and I don't that he gets to make the decision. I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other. He looked at me like I was crazy when I brought it up, as if it had never occured to him that not doing it was an option.

Secondly, there are studies that show that circumcision done as an infant/child reduce the rates of certain cancers in adults. Interestingly enough, some studies show evidence that having the procedure done as an adult can increase the risk of these same cancers. This could very well be a case of correlation not equaling causation, but if I have to make an educated guess then this is what I'm going to choose with the information that I have available to me at this time.
tela and LeslieRN72 like this.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
April 29th, 2013, 06:04 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
I know if you are jewish it can not be done with numbing injections. It is normally done within minutes of birth.., like a puppy that has its due claws ripped out... owch.

Anyway I have just read the whole thread and love the diversity of it all.

I do not judge anyone for doing it, if its the norm where you are then cest la vie...

I have seen my fair share of dingalings... The man I was going to marry is fully circed.. and his is UGLY! Looks like a thick stick with a helmet on... I dont know its just wrong in my opinion. My other half is partial.. when he was 19 the foreskin would not retract so medically he needed it done but only 2cm of it was taken off. It looks nice.. as nice as they can look. My first love had a fully intact penis and it was kinda cool to play with.. cant believe I have said that.. lol.

I feel aweful comparing dingalings from my past now lol.

Anyway I find full cut males have ugly ones..

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

April 29th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamuffin View Post
This has been a touchy subject between Steve and I. I did a lot of research and presented it to him and asked him why he wanted baby circ'd. The only reason he had was because of the way it looked, and didn't have an answer for me about why put the baby through the pain if it isn't medically necessary except that babies don't remember it...
So, even though Steve isn't ecstatic about it, we will not be doing it if our green baby is a boy.
Evan felt this way originally too. He knew nothing about the actual procedure or pros and cons.
I provided a lot of info for him with pros and cons and then let him make the decision. I did not pressure him.
He has since changed his mind. I think fathers always want their kids to 'match' them and its really only something they understand.
mommamuffin likes this.

April 29th, 2013, 09:44 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahruska View Post
I could really just leave him as he is but DH really wants to circumcise, so we will since he's the one who understands boy parts more. I guess we'll do it in the hospital? Not really sure how that all works.
Same, here. We talked about it before the gender ultrasound. I really don't think one way or the other about it, but BF said he wanted to do it. I've heard some doctors do it at the hospital and others want to do it in their office.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Cicada's Avatar Regular
If you're Jewish, traditionally the bris is on the 8th day, not immediately. My husband wasn't numbed but he did get alcohol rubbed on his gums to kind of drug him up a bit. I believe anaesthetic is now used in a lot of Jewish circumcisions however.
April 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
If you're Jewish, traditionally the bris is on the 8th day, not immediately. My husband wasn't numbed but he did get alcohol rubbed on his gums to kind of drug him up a bit. I believe anaesthetic is now used in a lot of Jewish circumcisions however.
A friend who is a jew had it done within minutes. Maybe it isnt tradition doing it that way but he said it was better for his Son.

Someone who just wanted for no apparant reason their Son done tried to go over to Germany where you can get it done lawfully privately but they got done for attempted child abuse. That was back in the 90's so here its been against the law for a while.
appletree likes this.

April 29th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
If baby is a boy we will be having the procedure done. Hopefully they do it in the hospital but I haven't asked yet.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
April 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
My coworker told me that she had her son circumcised and she had to pay $200 for the procedure... and that was 8 years ago so it's probably even more expensive now.
My cousin had to pay $300 when her sons were done (their 3 and 4). It was done at the hospital.

My husband wants to have it done so we will be having it done. Presumably at the hospital before we leave. I'd rather we didn't. I may try to talk to him about it or I may not. He's got pretty strong feelings on it though I know he hasn't done any actual research. He's circ'd so he wants his son to be.
April 30th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There has got to be some really fascinating psychology behind how adamant some men get about their son's penises looking like theirs.

I can't say my mother ever approached me and said "does your labia look exactly like mine? I hope it does so our genitals can match"

April 30th, 2013, 05:30 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
We will do it and will do it before we leave the hospital. My OB did it for Cole and he will be the same one doing it this time for this little guy.
April 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
There has got to be some really fascinating psychology behind how adamant some men get about their son's penises looking like theirs.

I can't say my mother ever approached me and said "does your labia look exactly like mine? I hope it does so our genitals can match"
As its against the law here it is not even a option. I did ask Tony if it was optional he said over his dead body would he have someone hack at his sons man bits if there was no reason too. He then looked at me and said would you remove Serenitys appendix if they never grumbled? I said yeah good point lol.
.:fearless:. and appletree like this.

April 30th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post

rotflmao

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search