Are you going to circumise you baby boy?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree54Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
This thread keeps sparking little disagreements with my Steve, lol. I told him about it being illegal in the UK and all that, and he went on and on about how that's wrong and it's just skin and they shouldn't be able to say that they can't do it. I politely told him I disagree and that if a country cuts pieces of a woman's genitals off, it's not considered okay.
(That being said, I don't judge other people's decisions to circ their sons. I just don't want to do it to mine.)

Also, medicaid in New York State doesn't cover circumcisions anymore. I looked into this when I was pregnant with Isabelle, and that's one of the tipping points for Steve - I refuse to pay for it so he would have to figure out a way to get the money together from his pocket/spending money on his own. I know a lot of couples that have decided not to have it done simply because their insurance doesn't cover it.
.:fearless:. likes this.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
April 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamuffin View Post
Tand he went on and on about how that's wrong and it's just skin and they shouldn't be able to say that
When he comes home next, just sit on a chair tapping a scalpel in your hand and smile and just say "Hey Steve, it's only skin, lets see how much more we could take off"

I dont really care what others do to their babies but I kind of think the parents should at least watch the procedure... is there any reason they would not want to watch?

Just interesting to me how many people jump up and down condemning ladies having elective c-sections but.. its ok to slice up a newborns penis with no particular reason besides "matching willies"
.:fearless:. and Logiesmomma like this.
April 30th, 2013, 09:44 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
I watched a few up close during my OB clinical rotation in nursing school. I really didn't find it all that horrifying. The boys really hated being held down and stopped crying pretty quick.

I also asked my husband if he has flashbacks and nightmares from his circ as an infant, his answer was "no".

That's good enough for me.

Why punch holes through infant and little girls ears and traumatize them with that pain? So she looks pretty like all the other little girls? Some might argue it's just a source of infection, puts the child in danger of getting her ear caught on something and hurt, or she could pull out and swallow the earrings.

There are arguments against everything.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
May 1st, 2013, 06:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with two things:

1) Anyone who chooses to have the procedure should watch a video to see exactly how its done.

2) I agree that its like getting a girls ears pierced. Its purely for cosmetic reasons as there is not enough evidence about whether or not there are health benefits. I'm not trying to get into arguments here. Just saying. So for that reason, Evan and I also agreed that we would not pierce my baby girls ears for the very same reason. Much like the 'circ' choice, we will leave that up to her for when she is older.

Just want to clarify: any parent has the right to make a choice for their child. Just DO your research. That's my philosophy of parenting
appletree likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran
We are having our first boy, already have 2 girls. I dont want to have it done but my hubby does. My hubby is so I am assuming that is why. I have never been with anyone that is not so I dont have any experience with it HOWEVER I read about everything an I watch a youtube video and was totally horrified! (No judgement) Its just that my second daughter has had a few surgeries and I am the one that is with her when she is in pain and hurting and it really kills me inside. So, I told my hubby, if he wants it done he has to be the one in the room with our little guy because I am not sure if I can handle it with out smacking the hell out of the person that is hurting my baby. I hope nobody takes any offense. I would probably feel a little different if my daughter had not been through so much!
May 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I was there during the procedure when my first son had his done, they numbed him & he barely cried. It was not pleasant to watch by any means, but I did still decide to have our 2nd son done. My husband was there for that one. I have mixed feelings, I guess. I wish I knew then what I know now, I may have made a different decision back then but I don't regret my decision necessarily. 8 & 5 years ago pretty much everyone here did it, it was never even a discussion of "if" you would have it done. I think people are more aware now that it's not necessary but it's still very common here, they did not even ask me at my appt today IF we'd be doing it, just gave me a list of doctors that do it & how much it'll be & how to schedule it. Hubby is adamant about having this baby done since our others boys are, so we'll be doing it.
May 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
If this is a boy, yes. All of our DSs have had it done. It will be done in the hospital by their primary physician before we leave.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search