Freaking Out :/

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doodoosmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 03:46 AM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor called last week and let me know that I have a UTI. Well she said since this was my 2nd UTI in this pregnancy I would be put on 2 a day Macrobid for 7days then 1 Macrobid every night until I delivered. I have been having some odd symptoms so I got on WebMD and found out that it's most likely the antibiotic. Then I read this: During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. It must not be used if you are near the end of your pregnancy (38-42 weeks), or at the time of labor and delivery. Doing so may cause a certain blood disorder (hemolytic anemia) in your baby. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. This medication passes into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on nursing infants younger than 1 month old or those with a certain genetic condition (G-6-PD deficiency). Consult your doctor before breast-feeding. With this only being my second UTI, and the first at 4weeks pregnant, I don't see why I would need to be on this medicine for so long. I have today and tomorrow until I am done with my 7days.

Macrobid Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

April 30th, 2013, 08:53 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Yikes! Can you call your docs office and maybe speak with a nurse or leave a message with your doc about it?

April 30th, 2013, 08:58 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Just had a look on our NHS website for meds in pregnancy and it says only to be gien in mid trimester heavy UTI. Never 1st trimester or 3rd.

SO yeah I would get a second opinion before taking.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

April 30th, 2013, 09:07 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I'd say definitely call and tell the doctor/nurse what you have found reading up on the med and that you aren't comfortable finishing the RX.
April 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I don't think 2 UTI' s are a lot for an entire pregnancy, especially because I think you're more susceptible to them during pregnancy. I'd ask him to just treat the one you have then be done with meds unless you develop another one.
.:fearless:. likes this.
April 30th, 2013, 09:38 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoosmom View Post
I don't think 2 UTI' s are a lot for an entire pregnancy, especially because I think you're more susceptible to them during pregnancy. I'd ask him to just treat the one you have then be done with meds unless you develop another one.
Agreed. Eesh! That's scary!

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies. I would just let them know you aren't comfortable taking the meds for the rest of the pregnancy.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

April 30th, 2013, 10:51 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
OOH man that is confusing from your doc. I would definately get some more info from your doc.

I am kind of in the same boat with conflicting info on meds. Mine being nsaids during the 3rd trimester. Like you, I will be asking this week more about taking them. I hope you get better answers and hopefully dont have to take it after the 7 days is up.

April 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Super Mommy
I have recurrent UTIs so for my pregnancy, I've been on Keflex. My UTIs are almost always triggered by intercourse so I have to take a low dose of it either right before or right after to prevent an infection from taking place. I've had discussions with both my family physician and my urologist and they agree that it's safe in low doses. I was also told that Amoxicillin would have been a safe alternative as well.
April 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMomma09 View Post
My doctor called last week and let me know that I have a UTI. Well she said since this was my 2nd UTI in this pregnancy I would be put on 2 a day Macrobid for 7days then 1 Macrobid every night until I delivered. I have been having some odd symptoms so I got on WebMD and found out that it's most likely the antibiotic. Then I read this: During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. It must not be used if you are near the end of your pregnancy (38-42 weeks), or at the time of labor and delivery. Doing so may cause a certain blood disorder (hemolytic anemia) in your baby. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. This medication passes into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on nursing infants younger than 1 month old or those with a certain genetic condition (G-6-PD deficiency). Consult your doctor before breast-feeding. With this only being my second UTI, and the first at 4weeks pregnant, I don't see why I would need to be on this medicine for so long. I have today and tomorrow until I am done with my 7days.

Macrobid Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
Yes please seek a 2nd opinion, i had an extreme middle ear infection in first trimester. like 7-9 weeks and the first dr i saw prescribed me a category D drug without hesitation....
i sought a 2nd opinion and dr found me a safer alternative
April 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I'd say call the dr to ease your concerns. I'd like to think that the dr wouldn't prescribe something that's risky to the baby, but you never know...

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
April 30th, 2013, 08:33 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
Tell them to find a safer medication....

April 30th, 2013, 08:46 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do agree, that 2 aren't that big of a deal. I get them ALL the time while pregnant as well as yeast infections. As for prescribing medications that "aren't safe while pregnant", that is something they don't know 100% to be sure of. They can't test while pregnant and only go off what they have witnessed. I was told it was OK to take my antidepressant while pregnant, 5 years ago, and now they are saying it causes birth defects. Personally, I wouldn't take it as a daily regimen for sure. I would look into other ways to help myself. I would cut out my sugars, increase water, take some AZO (or even drink a couple glasses of cranberry juice a week!), pee before AND after sex, wear cotton undies and use unscented soap in your vaginal area. That's just me though, and just suggestions
April 30th, 2013, 11:23 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! She called me back today and told me if I could finish the 7day course of it and they would retest me at my next appointment. Which is this Thursday. She acted mad at me for being allergic to penicillin. Then said I needed to be on this until I was 36weeks or I would end up doing another 7day course treatment. I don't get it, when I talked to her when she put me on it she told me I would be on it until I deliver. She also gave me 3x 30 day refills for it?? I came out and told her I didn't want to feel this way for the rest of my pregnancy and she got frustrated with me and said my only other option would be to take some kind of shot that had to be put in through IV. I think she is trying to scare me into keep on taking it. Either way I am glad I get to see my OB Thursday and not her. She is his nurse so she takes half his appointments.

May 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran
I have had recurrent UTIs during my pregnancy so far and my doctor finally put me on a low daily dose of macrobid for the remainder of pregnancy. I am not pleased about it, but I did some reading on PubMed and it sounds like the benefits outweigh the risks and it's the recommended best practice at present. I should say that this was after the 4th UTI, all diagnosed in the second trimester. They've all been asymptomatic and I've tried all the "typical" advice, like lots of water, cranberry juice, etc.
May 1st, 2013, 08:21 AM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
hope your ob comes to some middle ground that will make you comfortable I agree I wouldn't be comfortable with those meds either .. keep us posted

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search