my fellow GD ladies!

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I had my meeting yesterday with the diabetic educator. I feel like we ran in circles for a little while, but I have *some* understanding of what I'm supposed to be eating and stuff.

I have to test 4x a day, once in the morning and then 2 hours after each meal. Plus I'm supposed to eat a snack between each meal and before bed. Is this the sort of regiment everyone else is on?

That being said, the past 2 days I've been testing and I don't always eat what I'm supposed to. I had a crispy chicken & ranch mcwrap, medium fry and half a small mocha frappe. I tested my blood sugar 2 hours later and it was only 109! She said as long as I was under 140 I was OK, but ideally I should be under 120. That was a lot of carbs and sugar to test so low 2 hours later for a diabetic, don't you think?

She also started talking to me about the increased risks of a c-section, and early induction, and how I'd need an amnio to test the babe's lungs before induction and really freaked me out. Doc says I have to have an ultrasound at 32 weeks to check on babe's size and we'll know a little better then what is going on, but for now I've only gained 11-12 lbs the entire pregnancy and my fundal height is right on. It's all really overwhelming for me. I'm thinking I'm not the only one that feels this way?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
May 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to test 1 hour after eating and be under 120 and if I do test 2 hours after I should be in the 90s. My GD doc is really strict though. I know different docs follow different guidelines. I remember feeling super overwhelmed the 1st time I was diagnosed 2 pregnancies ago. This time I figure I'm a pro. I know what I can an can't eat and how different foods will affect my sugars. If you stick to your diet your baby won't be huge and you numbers will be fine. I think women with well managed GD don't need csections because of baby's size.

May 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I am on a similar program! 4x a day testing... fasting, 2 hours after meals, etc.
I will not follow their eating plan though. I don't believe in high carb/low fat diets.
I am getting wonderul numbers following a paleo/primal type eating plan with occasional splurges.
I had a double double cheese burger & fries last night and my number was 103! Fats= good!

I am concerned about my fasting number, it's never been above what they want but it's usually in the upper 80s.. which seems close to the cut off. My doctor isn't worried at all though.. but it's interesting how each provider has a different opinion! I talked to some ladies where their fasting number can be below 100.. and others it's below 90...
May 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Either I am on another planet of the GD diet is low carb high protein...
Logiesmomma likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I haven't seen the educator yet, so I only know what I've gleaned from the internet (none of which seems to be accurate). But yes, four times a day, below 100 fasting, below 140 two hours after the three 'major' meals is what they told me. I've had it drop on me very low a few times which I think is another risk with GD, hence the snacks? I don't have that confirmed, though.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed not knowing what I'm supposed to eat. I was equally overwhelmed trying to read online, though. Definitely in that boat with you.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post

Yes, Kiam you are right. GD is low carb and high protein. All the focus from my educators was put on limiting my carbs. I don't know of any diet that is high carb.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
May 1st, 2013, 06:28 PM
Another note*

I've been communicating with a diabetes educator via phone/internet who manages all the GD Moms referred by OBs (I guess I am getting pretty good care. I've always loved my OB/Gyn office and hospitals here).

I thought I was doing awesome because my BG have been staying below 120. I have been vigilant and following the diet like a champ. I'm a determined person. I find this challenging and want to succeed.

I was disappointed when I talked to my educator Monday. I guess I am not doing as great as I thought. It sounds as though the "telling" BS is the fasting one in the a.m. My OB wants mine below 95. Mine has been hovering around 105.

I was disappointed. But it has motivated me to work even harder. I am hoping that my OB will let me try to bring it down on my own without putting me on medication. My husband suggested walking in the evenings together. My educator said that may be exactly what I need. I have my weekly appt. with my OB tomorrow. I'll see what she says.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
May 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Leslie, thanks for mentioning the exercise thing! That's one of the hardest parts about all of this, I think. Sometimes I skip snacks because I'm just sooooo not hungry and a greek yogurt or half a banana or an apple with almond butter just does NOT sound appetizing...which I guess isn't a huge deal...but I NEED to get to walking.

I'm also pretty determined, but I also love naps. They are my vice! My goal is to walk or bike at least 6 days a week. How is everyone else doing with their exercise routine?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
May 1st, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Leslie you could ask try eating protein before bed. Our body naturally gives you a boost of sugars in the morning so that you'll have the energy you need to start your day. The fasting sugar is the one most out of your control. My doc wants mine to be mid 80s and that's impossible for me to do without insulin. I take it before bed and have had no problems with my fasting numbers since. I don't need any insulin to control my sugars after eating.

May 1st, 2013, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiesmomma View Post
Leslie you could ask try eating protein before bed. Our body naturally gives you a boost of sugars in the morning so that you'll have the energy you need to start your day. The fasting sugar is the one most out of your control. My doc wants mine to be mid 80s and that's impossible for me to do without insulin. I take it before bed and have had no problems with my fasting numbers since. I don't need any insulin to control my sugars after eating.

Yes, that was what she told me to do. She told me to make sure I didn't miss my evening snack and to make sure it was high protein. She told me it's not the end of the world if my OB puts me on Glyburide. It's only temporary and doesn't have a lot of side effects. It just irritates me that I can't control it myself and might have to take another med.

Here is the email response she sent me when I asked about exercise:

"Boy do you have a very smart husband. I would say take a 20 minute leisure walk in the evening as long as the weather is nice –you do not have to pace walk or run the mini just walk. This may turn down some hormones that stimulate the liver to give more sugar at night while you sleep.Lets see if this works and will go from there and keep me posted-Donna"

If this doesn't help and I have to take medicine, then I will. I will continue to eat healthy and follow the guidelines they set in tandem with the medication of course.

May 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to check ketones in my first urine of the day and test my sugars four times a day-right when I wake up and then 1-2 hours, preferably an hour, after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Blood sugar is supposed to be between 70 & 90 fasting, between 100 & 130 at one hour after meal or between 100 & 120 two hours after meal. I'm supposed to eat every 2-3 hours so three meals a day and three snacks a day roughly. No sugar obviously and watch the carbs. I was referred to the Sweet Success program. Nothing was said about having to do anything extra in regards to baby. I just had my appt yesterday so today was my first day of my new eating habits-NOT HAPPY!!!!!! But necessary. I love cold cereal and it was my pretty much daily breakfast but it is not allowed now My fundal height is measuring right on track so doc is not worried about the baby being big at this point. I actually lost two pounds at my last appt, yeah (I went into pregnancy very overweight so losing a few pounds is a good thing).

Last edited by jersey_gray; May 1st, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
May 1st, 2013, 10:55 PM
Kind of eye opening how much added sugar is in things.

Can anyone explain to me why my tinned beetroot needs sugar added to it? Canning is a preserving process, beetroot contains natural sugars, what was the point of lumping some more in there?

May 1st, 2013, 10:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Kind of eye opening how much added sugar is in things.

Can anyone explain to me why my tinned beetroot needs sugar added to it? Canning is a preserving process, beetroot contains natural sugars, what was the point of lumping some more in there?
They add sugar to EVERYTHING, it is ridiculous!
May 1st, 2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Here they want you to have a minimum of 180 carbs... minimum! That is high carb in my book-- expecially for a diabetic! And everything has to be "low fat"...

Here is a link to an article that is similar to my beliefs:
http://blog.naturalbirthandbabycare....onal-diabetes/

(deleted some of my post because I don't want it to come across as offensive.. I just don't believe in the modern establishments guidelines for gestational diabetes)

Last edited by OnesOnTheWay; May 1st, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
May 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Well. This morning I got up and my sugar was 92. I ate 1 egg, 1.5 pieces of whole wheat toast with a little butter and 1/2 a glass of plain almond milk.

2 hours later my blood sugar was 87! Doesn't that seem really low?

May 2nd, 2013, 03:49 PM
It does seem a little low for after a meal.

I got my little fingerprick machine yesterday. I only have to record my fasting blood sugars in the morning though.

May 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
mommamuffin, your #s are perfect! low would be 50s/60s.
when do you go back to show them your numbers? if you were seeing my high risk dr they would probably tell you to cut back on your testing to just once or twice a day (or when you think you ate something you shouldn't have lol)
but there are no set guidelines, which is kind of frustrating... every practice seems to have a different opinion on everything!

Also, what do your numbers look like as a whole? How many times do you go over the 120, etc (if at all..)
My OB said that as long as you can pin point what gave you a high number, you are in good shape. But sometimes women eat what seems like a good meal and they get a really high number out of the blue..
May 2nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnesOnTheWay View Post
Here they want you to have a minimum of 180 carbs... minimum! That is high carb in my book-- expecially for a diabetic!
Do they want 180 per day or per meal?

May 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnesOnTheWay View Post
mommamuffin, your #s are perfect! low would be 50s/60s.
when do you go back to show them your numbers? if you were seeing my high risk dr they would probably tell you to cut back on your testing to just once or twice a day (or when you think you ate something you shouldn't have lol)
but there are no set guidelines, which is kind of frustrating... every practice seems to have a different opinion on everything!

Also, what do your numbers look like as a whole? How many times do you go over the 120, etc (if at all..)
My OB said that as long as you can pin point what gave you a high number, you are in good shape. But sometimes women eat what seems like a good meal and they get a really high number out of the blue..
You would think they would want me to come back soon after my initial appointment to see how I am doing (if I'm having a hard time, if my numbers are wonky, etc), but I'm not scheduled to see the diabetes educator again until June 3 and I see my regular doc again for my 30 week appt on the 18th. Until then, I guess I keep writing my meals & numbers down and maybe he'll allow me to stab myself less often.

I ate a granola bar and half a greek yogurt for snack, then I had a sandwich for lunch (with tomato and mixed greens on rye), and when I tested 2 hours later I was at 122! That's the only time I've been over 120, though, even though another night I had a crispy chicken mcwrap with fries and half a small mocha frappe (I was still in the low 100s that night).

How have you adjusted your diet (if at all)?

Quote:
It does seem a little low for after a meal.

I got my little fingerprick machine yesterday. I only have to record my fasting blood sugars in the morning though.
Lucky you! Did they tell you to do anything if your sugars come up high? And are you testing for ketones? I'm supposed to be but I keep forgetting to buy the strips...

May 2nd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Just to ring them.
Nah, don't have to do anything other than the fingerprick.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search