cool birth plan template... do you have a birth plan

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Kiam
  • 1 Post By bklynfinest77

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 11:16 AM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I found this the other day .. but im wondering if it to many pages
http://images.thebump.com/tools/pdfs/birth_plan.pdf

May 4th, 2013, 12:35 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it print out with 6 pages I would say it's probably to long. Mine is 1 1/2 pages. If you like what it says though you could just type it out, it may be easier for the doctors and nurses to read then too.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

May 4th, 2013, 01:09 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I've found the term birth plan to be kind of funny, because who can plan a thing like that? Unless you're having a c-section anyway. I do have a list of things I want to discuss with my doctor - things that I do want or don't want to do/be done provided the situation allows - so I guess it amounts to the same thing.

That's a pretty in depth list but I've seen similar things on others, I wonder how much shorter it would be in just plain text? Or even without the blue headers?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah mine is more of a list of wishes and expectations (assuming everything is going fine and that is listed on there as well). It also says what my wishes and expectations are if I end up needing an emergency csection or if something is wrong with our baby and she needs to go to the NICU. It also has things that I don't want as long as everything is fine. I will go over it with my midwife and OB and I will have 2 copies with me in my labor bag so I can give to the nurse and whoever is on call since there's a chance it won't be my midwife or OB.

May 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We discussed birth plans at my last appointment, my hospital is quite strict with them (they give everyone a template and advise to use that template) however, obviously they cannot stop people from bringing in whatever they want, so my midwife ran through with me what is the most effective birth plans and what are the most ineffective ones.

The two that she said, in her 40 years experience, the ones that cause the most issues are:

1. Written in full paragraphs like an essay because you have to hunt for the information so things get missed.

2. Long, pretty, colourful checklists off the internet. Simply because they are full of information about things that are irrelevant to you and in case of emergency (prepare for the worst but expect the best) it is too easy for someone you are being handed over to (such as a surgical nurse) to flick through and two pages get stuck together, so information isn't seen or for someone to quickly glance at it and match the ticks up incorrectly.

She said that the birth plans that are usually most effective are simple, concise, as few pages as physically possible, just brief dot points about what you want separated into categories because the birth plan is not for you, it is for everyone around you, so it needs to be as easy to read as possible.

May 4th, 2013, 05:52 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree .. I think I will go through the ones I seen online and just type out what I want and try to keep to one page no more the 2
jkgreen likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 06:28 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I remember correctly when I did my (easy) birth plan for daughter I don't think anyone even looked at it. I will try a few points again with this one, but I feel like they are looked at as a joke in a lot of places.

Oct '11 June '12
May 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I agree it depends on your hospital. With DS1 I don't think anyone read it but I was firm on certain points like minimal fetal monitoring and no hep/saline lock and no meds unless I ask. These were all unless medically necessary of course. But with DS2 my midwife was awesome and read it during an appointment and agreed on all of it and all 4 nurses I had durin labor stood in my room an read it as well. I doubt I'll be that lucky again but I will be firm on certain things as long as everything is going well.

May 4th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that is a great list just to jog your memory so you can include the important items in your birth plan. It is definitely too long though. I plan to keep mine to a page or less with concise bullet points and to include only the things that are important to me. I think a birth plan is important because there is a good chance I won't be able to communicate my wishes during labor or immediately after the birth. I plan to have mine complete by about 32 weeks. I figure if I give birth before then, most of our plans would go out the window anyway. I am excited about this birth though because I know more of what to expect and what issues (big and small) that are really important to me.
May 5th, 2013, 07:30 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally find birth plans silly. But, I'm a go with the flow type in the hospital. I trust my doctors and nurses. More importantly, I trust my DH and my mom (who is a nurse and is with me during L&D). They know what I want, so if for some reason I am unable to communicate, they make the calls. With DS, I was induced due to PIH. I was open to all meds, including the epi (love the epi!) and pit. The only thing I didn't want was a sleeping pill or the IV pain meds since I hate feeling loopy. I just don't think you can "plan" a birth! I certainly never wanted my BP to be 170/102. I didn't plan to be induced. But the medical professionals did what was needed to get my baby out so that we were both safe. I was lucky not to need a c/s, but I would be open to that as well, if needed.
May 5th, 2013, 10:52 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I may do the birth plan for my own personal use (so I'm prepared for different situations). I attempted one for DS but he ended up as an emergency c/s so my plan went out the window...

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
May 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
We discussed birth plans at my last appointment, my hospital is quite strict with them (they give everyone a template and advise to use that template) however, obviously they cannot stop people from bringing in whatever they want, so my midwife ran through with me what is the most effective birth plans and what are the most ineffective ones.

The two that she said, in her 40 years experience, the ones that cause the most issues are:

1. Written in full paragraphs like an essay because you have to hunt for the information so things get missed.

2. Long, pretty, colourful checklists off the internet. Simply because they are full of information about things that are irrelevant to you and in case of emergency (prepare for the worst but expect the best) it is too easy for someone you are being handed over to (such as a surgical nurse) to flick through and two pages get stuck together, so information isn't seen or for someone to quickly glance at it and match the ticks up incorrectly.

She said that the birth plans that are usually most effective are simple, concise, as few pages as physically possible, just brief dot points about what you want separated into categories because the birth plan is not for you, it is for everyone around you, so it needs to be as easy to read as possible.
Totally agree! Keep is short sweet and to the point! A bullet point template is super, and if you can title each section "Labor" "Birth" "care of baby" "In case of C-section", etc.. that's also helpful so they can quickly jump to the section that is relevant to the time.

I probably wont write one this time, because both of my midwives are at every appointment and we talk in depth about all my wishes, so they know me and know my desires. I will however have something written up for hospital staff in case a transfer would ever need to happen. Mostly regarding care of my baby. Ie; complications arise and we transfer and get separated, I don't want them giving my baby any shots/vaccinations or formula without consulting us first.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search