Opinions on registries/baby showers for 2+ children

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By keekopeeko
  • 2 Post By sethsgirl
  • 2 Post By apradams
  • 4 Post By MeggysMommy
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 2 Post By .:fearless:.
  • 1 Post By bklynfinest77
  • 2 Post By OceanGirl
  • 2 Post By Jessifer
  • 1 Post By tela
  • 1 Post By Lexzmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
My BFF created my baby shower invite on facebook and had asked in a separate thing on my timeline what kinds of things I needed or didn't need and if I was registered anywhere. I told her I really only needed like diapers, wipes, baby soap, etc. Also that I was registered at Target(I more did this way back to get the free samples and stuff) Well my teacher from middle school posted on the comment and said "I thought you didn't register after the first kid". My BFF and I both responded that basically we did it so in case someone does ask "Hey is there anything I can get you?" "Or do you need more clothing?" etc it just gave people ideas. My biggest reasoning for doing it also was to keep track of things that I wanted to buy and since it was on a registry then I could get the discount at the end of my pregnancy For the most part it is items that are like $20 or less. The few things that I had on that were more expensive I deleted when I realized I wasn't going to be buying them.

May 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeh I see nothing wrong with it the way you did it.. But I don't see any reason for a baby shower after the first couple kids.. And I for sure don't want one for this baby.. Diapers and wipes are always nice but it's not needed .. Anything I do need is very specific anyhow and I wouldn't want people to waist money on clothes i DON'T need
MeggysMommy likes this.

May 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not having a shower but I also don't know more than 2 families here. I do have a registry because some family (aunts and cousins) have already asked me and my mom what we need. Also you get a discount on whatever is left on your registry! I see nothing wrong with what you are doing, I think it's a little rude that she wrote that (but I'm in a bad mood today so maybe it's just me lol).
getnthere and MeggysMommy like this.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

May 6th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran
I'm not in a bad mood and I find it rude. I am on my third kid who was a complete surprise since I was int the hospital waiting to have a hysterectomy when I found out I was PG. I was also raised to you get one shower and that's it. Well my friends don't agree anymore and made me complete a registry to things we need and items we may want. They also are throwing me a shower even though we have big stuff (i.e. crib, dresser, swing) bc they feel in today's society things are not like they used to be. I understand the old school mentality and am not judging anyone who disagrees with my opinion as it is only an opinion. Hold your head up high and be greatful and appreciative of any and all help. Those who don't do anything aren't being asked to do anything out of the normal motions of life.
OK -- sorry for my soap box.
Have a great evening
April and baby Emmit
MeggysMommy and sweetie77 like this.

Last edited by apradams; May 6th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
May 6th, 2013, 05:48 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Oh and I want an excuse for cake! Lol.
sethsgirl, tela, pearlica and 1 others like this.

May 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I know people who have had baby showers for more than one of their children. I don't see an issue with it. Maybe she should learn to keep her nose in her life where it belongs
MeggysMommy likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a BIG shower for my first, a medium one for my second (lol!) and smaller ones for my last 2 boys. It wasn't my idea, nor did I ask for ANY of them. I am not having one at all this time though, lol...for obvious reasons
I feel every baby should be celebrated. My DD asked me about her baby shower when she was at Jaxsons baby shower with me, I was happy I was able to tell her about it
MeggysMommy and Lexzmom like this.
May 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a baby shower for all my kids maybe cause they are all 8 years apart it different but I don't understand what the big deal .. I don't t really have the shower to get anything it more to celebrate the baby and to see family and if anyone want to bring something that up to them... I just confuse on why some people make such a big deal out of it
Lexzmom likes this.

May 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think your reasoning sounds right on! Registries ar great for people who want to get you something but have no idea what. (Like all my wonderful but childless friends) Also, I don't think you can go by set rules anymore. This is our second baby but our daughter is 5 and we don't have much baby stuff left. I have never had a shower before and want the chance to celebrate our new baby. I don't expect presents but will be thankful for anything we do receive.
I also think the comment you received was very rude.
getnthere and MeggysMommy like this.
May 7th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Super Mommy
One "tradition" that I do want to break for my own shower is that I made it clear to my family that if they were going to plan one for me, I want both men and women there. I don't like the idea of having just a gathering of women. A lot of my friends are males, and I am also friends with some gay male couples as well. I would hate to leave them out simply because they aren't women. So my baby shower will be more of a gathering of friends and family to celebrate the baby, more than anything else.
MeggysMommy and mjbaby like this.
May 7th, 2013, 05:39 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that comment was completely rude and uncalled for! i was raised that showers are for 1st babies only, but times have changed. "sprinkles" are very popular in my area. and my MIL insists on throwing one for me. yes, it makes me a bit uncomfortable as it's baby boy #2, but i am being gracious and am looking forward to a small celebration, mostly with family. and yes - we registered!!! i have a total of 30 items on the registry, but second-time parents are picky about type of diapers, wipes, lotions, etc. if people want to buy something, they may as well have guidance as to what we need. i never register for clothing - we are grateful for any cute baby clothes that people happen to pick out. oh, and i totally registered for the %off registry completion too!
MeggysMommy likes this.
May 7th, 2013, 06:28 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
In my opinion, a baby shower is to celebrate the coming baby no matter what number it is. For me having these two boys so close though, the only thing we are really going to need is a double stroller and diapers. So if anyone asks me, I say diapers.
MeggysMommy likes this.

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search