At what point

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At what point would you ask about a growth ultrasound? For 3 weeks (I have appointments weekly) I have measured 4-5 weeks ahead and all the midwife says is oh she's just a big baby (even without feeling around my stomach to actually feel her). I'm trying so hard to get an appointment with the actual OB in the practice since I really don't care for the midwife I've been seeing. I know it's normal to measure 2-3 weeks ahead or behind but I'm really starting to wonder about being 4-5 ahead for 3 weeks now. The only time I measured ahead with either of my other pregnancies was with DS1 at 36 weeks and that was 4 weeks ahead and I was sent for a growth scan. I'm not worried about having a bigger baby but I am worried about other things that can cause you to measure that far ahead.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

May 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
From what I know even 4 weeks is normal up until the very end of pregnancy. I don't know anything about growth scans though.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I have bi weekly u/s still for my CX ..... I tend to measure 2 weeks ahead by fundal measuremnet.. but on ultrasound it states he one week ahead and weighs 4lbs ... so it possible it maybe just water or other things .. if you truly concern I will be straight forward and ask for a scan the worse they can do it say no but honestly I would take no for a answer if u are concern

May 6th, 2013, 07:31 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
At my last appt when I was measuring 5wks ahead my doc immediately put in the request for the growth u/s. I'm not sure what he will say tmw if I'm still measuring further ahead. Definitely don't think it would hurt to ask about it.

May 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would ask too. Its hard to say because I read too that up to 4 weeks ahead is normal, especially with more pregnancies.

Oct '11 June '12
May 6th, 2013, 08:36 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I measured 4-5 weeks ahead with my last pregnancy. He was 8lbs. I will ask her this week what I am "measuring", she usually doesn't say. I have a feeling though, I am measuring ahead with the position of baby girl
May 6th, 2013, 08:50 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I measured big with DD & the Dr told me she'd probably be at least 10 lbs. I only gained 14 lbs the whole pregnancy so I knew that wasn't the cause but he never did an ultrasound to check her size. My c-section was at 39 weeks & she was 7lbs 10oz, so not big at all. He said I just ended up having a lot of fluid.
May 6th, 2013, 10:27 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a growth ultra sound because Ive gained so much weight. I measure 2 weeks ahead but that is not as accurate as first ultrasounds to change date or whatever.

May 7th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Super Mommy
Never hurts to ask. During my last pregnancy the doctor ordered a growth ultrasound because I was measuring behind during one visit, but I'm not sure how far behind. Baby was normal sized. Hope you get to see that OB -- it's a bummer not to like who you're working with.
May 7th, 2013, 04:47 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
combined with your other pregnancy issues, i would def ask for a scan! there is usually something they can code it in by so that insurance covers it. in your case, measuring that far ahead i'd assume would be a good enough reason! and i agree about getting an appt with the OB - they tend to do more tests/scans than the midwives.
May 7th, 2013, 10:18 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! I'd be fine with a bigger baby (ds1 was 8 pounds 10 ounces so on the bigger side of average) but with everything else going on I'm going to ask the OB about it. I called today and cancelled my next appt with the midwife and got the last appt the OB has available for the next 2 weeks (or so the receptionist said). Hopefully she can give me more answers than the midwife did. (Especially since she told me I was fine when I told her about the blood streaked mucus).

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search