Need help with paint color..

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By writergurrl
  • 1 Post By bellabri287
  • 1 Post By Hsmom85
  • 1 Post By Kiam

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
So I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a color scheme for baby's room. I was originally planning on doing a color like pink/purple/yellow.. or whatever on the walls to match the theme. But now I kind of feel like I should just do something very neutral on the walls (like a light tan that is in the rest of my house).. and then just add pops of color through accessories, curtains & the bedding, etc.
That way when baby is older we don't have to worry about repainting if we want to change themes and do something that fits their personality.
I guess I am just trying to save myself another paint job in a few years!!

What do you think?
May 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Veteran
My vote would be go with the neutral and add color as an accent, but I am not very 'designer' oriented.

Although, speaking from experience, by the time your kid is 4ish, the walls could probably stand to be repainted anyway. Kids are hard on walls. And you'll hang things when they're a baby that you'll want to change out/remove when they become toddlers or so, so you'll also have nail marks and such you'll want to cover.
OnesOnTheWay and jkgreen like this.
May 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Twin Mama
i agree, DH has a fantasy the walls wont need to be re-painted till the kids can do it themselves... ha! we chose a really light yellow/white and it looks fab, I think it will go with whatever I put in the room. i would stick with light yellow/tans if you want to be safe.

however... if i wasn't having one of each i would have painted that room SUPER purple &/or prink if it was a girl. might as well go into that room where pee/poo & vomit rule and have pretty walls to look at?
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

May 8th, 2013, 06:24 PM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
We did a neutral with pops of color. It worked out better that way with the decals that we put up on the wall. They were so many different colors they would only all look good against a neutral. But do whatever you like the best. Maybe do some googling and get some ideas.

May 8th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are going gray. I figured right now I can do the pink theme and as she get older it will be very easy to change pink out for just about any color like teal, red, orange, purple... my options are many!

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

May 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree neutral with pop of color will be best that what we did with the twins .. added decals is always cool for color

May 9th, 2013, 02:13 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
My walls are beige, and I'm using very colorful stuff around the room. I LOVE color

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

May 9th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Super Mommy
We had planned on going neutral, because we're selling our house soon and didn't want to have to repaint, plus we're team green.

Then when we went to pick out paint, DH changed his mind and wanted something "fun." It's so cute when he gets excited about baby stuff that I can't say no to him. So now the walls are a BRIGHT turquoise...anything but neutral! Does it look like a boys room? Yes. Does it match our Lion King theme (another DH idea that I couldn't say no to)? Not at all.

But it's really cute and only took a couple of hours to paint, so repainting when the time comes won't be a problem.
offthewallfilms likes this.
May 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I think bold colors are great and inviting for babies and children. Wether you do that with accents or solids or whatever its a great idea.

I agree that kids are brutal on walls at times and walls/doors need a wipe down daily. So painting may be an earlier than expected chore than one may think. To me its all about making it fun for the kid/s .
May 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I'm definitely for a pastel base. It would make redoing the room much easier later on, you could just pop out different accessories and be done. Also, too much of really bright colors can be overstimulating for young babies.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have not decided at all with this one but when Indiana was a baby--her first nursery, we did not paint the walls. We just added a cute colourful border in the room and some paintings. It looked great!
When we moved into this house, we did paint her room and she chose the colours. She chose a light purple/pink.

May 9th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're sticking with neutral, mainly because we are renting and the landlord painted our whole house a lovely cream just before we moved in, so I doubt he will allow us to paint a room when it has only been done so recently. But also because it is less work.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

May 9th, 2013, 04:48 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I did gray walls with white trim for Bug's room. The decorations will be fun colors.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search