Baby shower activities for kids

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Logiesmomma
  • 1 Post By .:fearless:.
  • 1 Post By bklynfinest77
  • 1 Post By Hsmom85

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I have a long, long laundry list of things that are really stressing me out about the baby shower. I'm regretting ever agreeing to it at this point.

Anyway, one big issue is that a lot of kids ages 6m-10 years are going to be there in an enclosed space with absolutely nothing to do. The host seems to think that everyone should just get a babysitter. Now I've never been to a baby shower that didn't have kids present. I don't know how things work elsewhere but around here people don't pay for a sitter so they can spend gas money to give you a gift they also put out money for. It is very rude to expect them to. So despite the fact that people are RSVP'ing with their kids, and that people have asked her if there will be something for kids to do, she still has no plans. I am not going to listen to that many children running, shouting, and crying because they're bored - or the babies because 20 other kids are making all that noise and overstimulating them. My stress level is already going to be through the roof.

I printed off coloring pages and have a tub of crayons, but some of the kids are either too young or too old for that. Any ideas what else I can do? Something simple and indoor-friendly that won't make a huge mess?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 13th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Beading necklaces (with beads, pasta or cereal depending on the age), playdoh (although that can get messy), books, cars, puzzles. The dollar spot at Target and the birthday party supply aisle are good places to find little cheap toys that you could put on the tables for the kids.
Sorry the host hasn't considered this. Expecting children to sit quietly for 2 hours just isn't practical.
NinjaCakes likes this.

May 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when you say a lot...how many is a lot? 5? 15?
And, when I take my kids...I always just watch them and they are well behaved. I allow my daughter to participate in the games (using my turn) and so on. Hasn't ever really been an issue.
Soooo..hmmm, yeah. I would do the coloring pages, maybe if you (or someone you know) has the mega blocks, bring a thing of those. I wouldn't do anything with too small of parts for fear of another little one choking.
apradams likes this.
May 13th, 2013, 07:55 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
honestly I wouldn't have to many things they can actually play with .. I will have only activities.. and a room where you can set up and TV and DVD player and play movies and anyone who acting up will have to stay with there parents
apradams likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
My estimate from the beginning was somewhere around 20, maybe a few more depending on who shows up. Definitely going to try to find some big blocks. Maybe my little cousin will let us borrow some of his bigger toys. He is so eager to do whatever BF or I ask him just for the sake of making us happy. Such a sweet kid. Thanks

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 16th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hit up the dollar store for cheap toys. Paper and crayons are always good. Why not plan some baby shower activities the kids can participate in?
May 16th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Super Mommy
Is it possible to hire someone (teenager) to watch out for the kids/keep them entertained? Maybe not "babysit" them, but try to keep them out of everyone's hair so they're not running to Mommy every 5 minutes? I would do that, and set them up in a separate room for a "movie night" with a new movie, popcorn, treats, etc. If hiring someone isn't possible, I would put the older children in charge and 'pay' them with a prize.

Other than that, I would say if someone brings children, the children are THEIR responsibility. It's nice of you to have some things for them to do, but don't stress yourself out. Ultimately it is the parent who needs to take responsibilty for entertaining them!
apradams likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search