Hello ladies!

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By Kiam
  • 1 Post By mommamuffin
  • 1 Post By jkgreen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM
So, I am new here, just created my account. I was with babycenter and got tired of all the drama and rudeness, so hopefully I don't experience any of that here. I am due July 13 and having a little boy. =]
I cant wait, im so excited. He is my first and me and my fiancé cant be anymore excited.
I have been researching like crazy on everything that is going to be happening and all the options we have with our birth. I plan on going natural (hopefully that will work out the way I want it to) and doing delayed cord clamp (which I am still researching).
pretty much I just feel so clueless and most things ive posted about on baby center the ladies have told me to find a different board within bbc, or to look up posts that are like mine bc they don't want to explain things again (which I get, but bbc is difficult to use in my opinion bc it pulls up posts from every board and I have to search for the correct one and can never find it!)

so I guess my first question for you ladies is how long are you planning on waiting to clamp the cord? WHO recommends 1-3 minutes, some ladies are waiting til the cord stops pulsating, and others are waiting til they deliver the placenta. I want my son to be able to receive all the blood from the placenta that he can before clamping the cord, but I also don't want him attached to it for a very long period. what would be the ideal time to wait, in your opinion.
June 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran
Welcome! I'm Sarah and expecting my 2nd, another girl July 9th. I think you'll like it here, its a great board. Everyone seems very kind and supportive

I don't really have any advice on the cord clamping but I'm sure some of the other ladies know a bit more. I'll be keeping an eye out too cause I've been meaning to look it up.
June 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital I delivered my two previous children at practices delayed cord clamping, though my first had meconium issues and they had to cut it right away, but with my son they waited a while (I was in babymoon/sleeping stage and have no idea how long it really was, but it was more than a few minutes). With this baby we're going to request to wait, but I've been told they already do delayed clamping as well, so it could be a moot request

June 11th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the group and Congrats on baby!

I don't have any idea about the cord situation as with my first I was wiped after laboring for a long time followed by an unplanned C-section.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

June 11th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello, congratulations and welcome

(I will say, I think we are a very undramatic group, compared to some others I've seen, were saints, HAHA, hopefully you feel a bit more at home here)

Personally, we are not delayed cord clamping, we will be donating instead, and the more they can get for donation, the better. Reason being we feel very lucky to be using one of the very few hospitals here that participate in the donation program through the Royal Children's Hospital here, and the way we see it is, whilst it certainly has it's benefits, delayed cord clamping isn't a matter of life or death, but for a child with leukaemia a stem cell transfer can be, we have the opportunity, so we are certainly going to take it.
tela, mommamuffin, jkgreen and 6 others like this.

June 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Regular
Hi I'm Camille and my daughter was born on 6/7!

I don't remember what they did with the cord tbh... 22 hours of labor and an unplanned c section left me a little dazed.
June 11th, 2013, 04:26 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I haven't talked to my midwife yet about my options, but my goal is to keep it until it has stopped pulsating

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

June 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Hello welcome I dont have any advice on the cord either.
June 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
Welcome! I like to think we're fairly drama-free here - We each have our own little personal dramas, but not with each other. I think this group is great

As for the cord clamping, I'm planning on waiting until it stops pulsating. I don't know what that is in minutes -- although a quick google search just told me it's like 2-6 minutes. I haven't seen anything about any negatives about leaving the cord attached "too long", though.
apradams likes this.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
June 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Welcome to the group!!!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
June 12th, 2013, 04:20 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
Hi and welcome!! Like everyone already said, we're pretty easy going and never once have I heard anyone here tell someone to look back at previous posts. Lol!

I'm doing delayed cord clamping. My doctor will delay it until the cord stops pulsing, about a minute or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamuffin View Post
I haven't seen anything about any negatives about leaving the cord attached "too long", though.
My doctor did say that you don't want to keep it attached too long after it stops pulsing because it could cause jaundice.

I really hope I said that right, we talked about that option awhile back.

June 12th, 2013, 07:00 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Hi and welcome to JM! I'm Lisa and I'm due with my 2nd boy on the 11th.

I didn't know there were options on cord clamping! I had an emergency c/s with my ds, so I'm not sure how long they waited. I hope others have some better advice!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
June 12th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello!
I am also going to wait until the cord stops pulsing so all the circulating blood ends up in baby's body. I think waiting for the cord to stop pulsing is better than a set time limit since every baby is different.
June 13th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you ladies for all the replies! you guys have definitely been a ton of help on this situation! congrats to you all on your babies as well. im definitely going to talk about the cord clamping in birthing class tonight and ask my doctor about it tomorrow... (I don't even know what all my hospital practices... that's the only thing I haven't done much research on)
I cant wait... due date is exactly a month from today!!!
June 13th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No advice on how long to delay the cord clamping. I did want to say that feeling the cord pulsing in your hand is really awesome. I got to feel the cord pulsing with my second and it was just an amazing feeling. I have no idea how long it was before the cord was cut though. Your just not that with it right after delivery, it's a crazy crazy time.
June 13th, 2013, 11:43 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and congrats on your boy! I agree this group of ladies is great! I have an account on BBC but never comment. I have seen A LOT of drama over the smallest things on there. I do like there breastfeeding board. As for delaying cord clamping I haven't read much about it or talked to my OB about it. I might ask him at my next visit how long they wait. Also I am due July 4th with a repeat c-section on June 27th. Now y'all have me wanting to google.

June 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Welcome If you haven't also found the natural birth board here, I definitely recommend it! The ladies there are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting_for_our_first View Post
so I guess my first question for you ladies is how long are you planning on waiting to clamp the cord? WHO recommends 1-3 minutes, some ladies are waiting til the cord stops pulsating, and others are waiting til they deliver the placenta.
I settled on 2-3 minutes.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search