infant carrier / sling

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going to need one this time around and I have a wrap, but it is too hard to wrap and tie so I am thinking of getting the carrier that has clips like the Ergobaby. Does anyone have a carrier that they like or don't like? I need all the advice I can get. I am going to have to wear this baby more than I did my other too because I'm running out of hands for my kids..(this will be #3) and I'll have 3 kids under 4 years old.

Last edited by TerriLF; June 12th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
June 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I just got myself a used moby for $15.... I have NO experience with baby wearing as I didn't wear my daughter.
I keep hearing rave reviews about the ergo baby but not sure if they are good for newborns?
June 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a Moby and an Ergo. The Ergo isn't great for newborns and the infant insert is bulky and would be hot to use during the summer. The Moby is a thick material too that maybe too hot for the summer. I'm thinking of getting a Baby Hawk Mei Tai or woven wrap for the baby and wearing my toddler in the Ergo on my back.

June 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You want a soft structure carrier? Like an ergo, but not an ergo?

June 12th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran
I have an Ergo but agree that it is not great for newborns. Also, I am not the flexible type, and I find it hard to clip the strap at my back. A lot of people love the Ergo (it's my DH's fave carrier), but it does not work for me. I have a narrow frame and sloping shoulders, and the Ergo is just too bulky.

I like slings for the newborn stage, but there has been a bit of chatter about babies suffocating in them, so you do have to be careful. For very early newborn if the baby is very small, I actually like the Bjorn. It's not good for extended wearing because of the way the baby hangs in it. But every other carrier I have feels too big for a newborn. Once the baby is about 2-3 months old, though, it fits better into other carriers.

My personal fave for back carrying is the AngelPack. It fits my shoulders nicely, is easy to use, and has always fit my kids, too. Once they get older I move them to a Kanga, which has a higher back for more head support. You can carry a newborn in an AngelPack by sitting them frog style in it, but I never felt I could get it secure enough. It always felt like my kids were going to fall out until they were a few months older.

Really... the best thing to do is try out what you can. It's going to depend a lot on your body shape/type, as well as the size of your baby.
June 12th, 2013, 07:05 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also love ringslings for the newborn stage.. But stretchy wraps (like a moby) made out of jersey knit are great as well.. (Like a loveyduds) .. What kind do you already have?

If you are looking for a buckle carrier (ssc) ... Beco geminis are good for newborns ... Beco soleils have an infant insert that seems like they may be hot like an ergos.. Not sure.. But really anything outside in the summer will be hot. Boba 3gs go from newborn stage on up as well.. Those are just a few other ssc options other than an ergo..

June 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Boba 3G works well for an infant too. I want one but I'm saving for a toddler Tula.

June 12th, 2013, 10:41 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved my baby KTAn I got htat with my dd. It is for babies 8 lbs and larger. You can wear it where its like a ergo and legs are m shaped to help with the hip formation on baby. Its only trick is getting the right size. I had a large but it seemed to big then I lost weight. Now I will get another one ( I lost my old one) Its like a thick stretchy cotton and it feels great with older kids too.

June 13th, 2013, 05:26 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had a hotsling and bjorne with DS. hated the hotsling for the newborn stage. used it a bit on hip carry when he got big enough. but soon he weighed too much and it strained my shoulder. i loved the bjorne. this time i have a light-weight moby style wrap that i plan to use early on. i also have a ring sling that i friend made (beautiful woken silk fabric). plus i bought an ergo but don't plan on using that for the newborn stage.
June 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not worried for the newborn stage as much because I won't be going out alone with the 3 of them until the baby is probably 3 months old. My mom will be here for the first month and the kids will stay in daycare while I'm on maternity leave so if I need to run out with the baby I can do it while the others are in daycare. I have a sleepywrap which I believe is like the moby, but again it takes me awhile to get it all wrapped and tied.
June 13th, 2013, 07:58 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a linen ring sling and a baby hawk Mei Tai. I am about to rid the MT though and go back to a buckle carrier. Too much wrapping for me lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search