Reading

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam
  • 2 Post By .:fearless:.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2013, 06:51 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I'm a book nerd I guess (though not quite Kiam's level ). I'm on my second read through of a great book series right now, working toward the final book. Before this I was deep in some newish Stephen King books. Before that I was reading this series the first time. I'm on book 10 of 14 now, so I am going to run out of material in the not too distant future. I'm starting to cast out for ideas of what to move on to next. The same person who got me in this book series said I would probably like Eragon and A Song of Ice and Fire. Any suggestions, ladies?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
June 12th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What's the series you're reading at the moment?

A Song Of Ice and Fire is a fantastic series (and frankly, ****s all over A Game Of Thrones as a TV series) Inheritance Cycle is a great series (Eragon is the first book), but it is aimed at a YA audience so the language is set at a slightly lower level to what you would expect from adult fantasy.

June 12th, 2013, 10:11 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use Share Book Recommendations With Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia for book suggestions. You just make a list of stuff you have read/liked and it will suggest books for you. They also have a sections called listopia under explore and it comes in handy also.

June 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
A Song Of Ice and Fire is a fantastic series (and frankly, ****s all over A Game Of Thrones as a TV series)
That is what my suspicions were when I watched the first few episodes. I thought, if this was a book I'd have read so much more information by now.

Right now I'm reading the Wheel of Time. Talk about a life consuming series! It is like crack.

June 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, I don't read anything that requires a TON of thought because I get distracted easily But, I love to read lol!I just read Maternal Harbor and Blacklisted from the PTA. lol I am reading Masons Daughter now. I liked Maternal Harbor and Blacklisted was FUNNY! They were free on my kindle from pixelofink.com That is pretty much what I read, what I can get fro free on there
June 13th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Free books? Why did nobody tell me of this?! Too bad the kindle isn't free too! Though I hate the thought of being part of the digital literature conversion. I think I'd die to see actual books be phased out like VCRs.

June 14th, 2013, 10:29 AM
im not too big on reading, but one of the only series ive finished and enjoyed was James Pattersons Alex Cross series.
If you enjoy murder mystery, those would be good.

Last edited by waiting_for_our_first; June 14th, 2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: stupid space bar doesnt like me.
June 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Before I got my actual kindle, I had a kindle app on my phone. I used it once in awhile, but not often. It was the same though, just smaller. I read a lot more now that I have my kindle though.
June 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaCakes View Post
Free books? Why did nobody tell me of this?! Too bad the kindle isn't free too! Though I hate the thought of being part of the digital literature conversion. I think I'd die to see actual books be phased out like VCRs.
Something interesting I learned at a youth literature seminar last year was that teenage boys have the lowest literacy rate out of any other age range, but the percentage of teenage male illiteracy has dropped since the introduction of ebooks.
Basically, it is 'cooler' to have a iphone/ipad then it is to have a book. I think that alone makes digital literature worth it.

Real books will never be phased out, they aren't comparable to VCRs, which are also digital media. Digital media will always improve upon itself, thus, older models will be phased out and upgraded, you cannot upgrade a hard copy book, it is a stand alone product. Ereaders as we know them today will be phased out long before hard copy books are. Same way that VCRs didn't phase out going to the cinema, or microwave meals didn't phase out fresh produce.

Ebooks/readers are one of the greatest advancements in the literary world in modern day times.
mommamuffin likes this.

June 14th, 2013, 08:04 PM
My 13 year old had a 40 book challenge. In their school year (they only go from the end of August to the end of May) they had to read 40 books. He read most on his kindle...he was finished with his 40 books by the end of March. He is a total gamer/iPod/nerd too, lol. That is a lot of books for a 12/13 year old in that time on TOP of his regular school work. They had to do "reports" on each book too and had to have various books for certain categories and so forth. I was impressed!
Kiam and jkgreen like this.
June 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
That is impressive.

June 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM
He's a good kid He was bored the last month of school in that class because everyone was working on the 40 books book and he didn't have anything to do...so he was allowed to bring his iPod in!
June 14th, 2013, 09:27 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I read A Casual Vacancy recently...it was long and slow to get going, but I ended up really enjoying it!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
June 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
My 13 year old had a 40 book challenge. In their school year (they only go from the end of August to the end of May) they had to read 40 books. He read most on his kindle...he was finished with his 40 books by the end of March. He is a total gamer/iPod/nerd too, lol. That is a lot of books for a 12/13 year old in that time on TOP of his regular school work. They had to do "reports" on each book too and had to have various books for certain categories and so forth. I was impressed!
That is very impressive, go him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Something interesting I learned at a youth literature seminar last year was that teenage boys have the lowest literacy rate out of any other age range, but the percentage of teenage male illiteracy has dropped since the introduction of ebooks.
Had I known that I would have been throwing kindles at BF's head!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search