39 hour labor.....not so much a time but well worth it.

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By GamerMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran
Sorry for taking so long to tell Adelyn's birth story but I've been busy with her the last week and a half. They weren't kidding when they said babies are a lot of work, though I am enjoying it. Now I'll start from the beginning.

On Tuesday, July 9th I was doing some house chores when I started to feel off. I can't really explain it besides that I felt weird all day. Anyways, by around 8pm I was getting period like cramps every 15 minutes apart. I knew I wouldn't be able to go to the hospital yet so I decided to walk it off. I ended up doing laps around my kitchen as my SO and my father was watching Castle. By 9pm the cramps which I knew by this time could be contractions was every 10 minutes apart so I decided to go to bed to try and see if that would help. By 10pm I was having extremely painful contractions though still only 10 minutes apart. So I jumped up and said "I need to go to the hospital". My father and SO grabbed a few things and my hospital bag and we left, father in one car while my SO and I left in another. We didn't even drive 5 minutes before I was in tears. These were definitely contractions but I didn't understand why they were so painful yet 10 minutes apart.

Well we arrived at the hospital and when I told the nurse, it seemed like she didn't quite believe me. She asked me how far I was and I said 39 weeks and then she asked me was it my first. I answered yes and she told me she believed that it was Braxton Hicks but would put the monitor on me just in case. Lord and behold, they were contractions and very powerful. (Take that nurse! I knew what I was talking about). However, the doctor checked me and said I was still only 2-3cm dilated so she suggested I go walk around the hospital for two hours to see if I could get things moving. So I did just that while the rest of my immediate family and my SO's family came to meet us at the hospital. Once I finished the walk (which was extremely difficult to do because of the pain), I was having the contractions every 4 minutes. The doctor checked me again and said I was only dilated 3cm and sent me home even though I was in so much pain I was pretty much crying.

My family and I stayed at my SO's sister's place and when we got back from the hospital around 4am, everyone got ready for bed. I was up all night in pain but I knew I had an appointment with my OBYN that morning so I was going to see what I could do about the pain. Safe to say I didn't sleep a **** wink as the contractions were getting stronger and closer together. So my SO, mother and SIL went to my appointment and when I told my OBYN about the pain he said he wanted to check me out himself to make sure I didn't progress anymore. Well when he checked me I ended up screaming in pain and I started to hyperventilate. I'm not sure what happened or if he touched something but I just had a major stab of pain that lasted about 5 seconds. Once I realized what was happening my OBYN and my SO was standing over me yelling at me to breathe and eventually I calmed down. He said I was now 5cm dilated (from the 3cm to 5cm only 5 short hours earlier) and told me to go to the case room right away. We left to head to the hospital again.

This time I had a different nurse and she put the monitor on me again and noticed I was having contractions every 3 minutes and they were pretty strong. However, I was still only 5cm dilated so they couldn't give me any pain relievers like the epidural I was begging for at this point. So instead I was sent to the maternity ward to try and speed things along. I was like this from 1pm (when I arrived to the hospital) to 8pm. The hospital didn't want to induce me since my body was working it's way to labor though my water wasn't breaking and I was dilated very slowly. Fine and dandy but even as slow as I was dilating my contractions were still 3 minutes apart and crippling. By 8pm they said I was 8cm and could give me morphine which they did. It didn't help much and that's when my patience was wearing thin. I have been in crippling pain since 10pm Tuesday night and this was now 8pm Wednesday night. I told the nurse I wanted the epidural before they couldn't give it to me. Finally, the nurse went to fetch the doctor.

At 9pm I got my darn epidural (FINALLY RELIEF!) and when they checked me I was almost 9cm dilated. I was still dilating rather slow but at least it wasn't painful anymore so I finally got to take a quick power nap. By 1:20am Thursday I was finally 10cm dilated and they got me ready for delivery. My family was with me the whole time (both sides) so we've been up for two whole days and all but ready for this baby to come. I started pushing at 1:42am and she was born by 1:56am. Yeah, I was pretty desperate for her to get out! Haha.

Adelyn Elizabeth had finally made it into the world and I was the happiest person in the world to finally give birth to this beautiful little girl. Yes, it was painful and long but worth every second now that I look back at it.

July 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
You go girl!! What a great birth story and your daughter is beautiful

July 22nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!! She's gorgeous!

July 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran
Congratulations!
July 24th, 2013, 10:42 AM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
Woo! Go you! I'm happy to hear you had such a great support system through it all - they really can make all the difference. And now you have a beautiful little girl to show for it!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
July 24th, 2013, 09:03 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Congratulations

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
July 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! She's beautiful! It's odd how different hospital policies can be. I got the option of an epidural at 3cm with both kids!
July 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
Congrats! She's beautiful! It's odd how different hospital policies can be. I got the option of an epidural at 3cm with both kids!
I wish I was as lucky! Would have saved me big time! lol. But they wouldn't let me have it until last minute pretty much. At that point I was so use to the pain I could have done it without the **** thing. lol.
July 29th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful girl! Glad I didn't deliver at your hospital, what the hell! You only need to be 3 or 4 to get the epidural. With my first my doctor didn't even make me wait, I was only 2 when I got the epidural (back labor, you never want back labor, trust me).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search