We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
DH and I are pretty much alone in our city. My parents live about 5hrs West and my sister and BIL about 5hrs North. My sister and BIL will be in my parents' city in 2 weeks to attend a wedding, so I opened my big mouth and said that it would be a great idea for DH and I to go that same weekend with Marcos, then drive back with my sister and BIL to their city and spend a few days there.
So my family has been pressuring us like crazy to come over despite the fact that adapting to having Marcos around has been rather challenging. Neither of us drive but there were some really cheap flights although the sale ended 2 days ago. I caved and ended up buying some tickets. However, I ended up second-doubting myself afterwards. Marcos will be 4 weeks by then, he won't have his shots yet, and his behaviour is still very unpredictable. On the other hand, it's only a 1-hour inter-provincial flight and it's from a small local airport rather than a large international one.
Still, I feel edgy about the whole thing, probably due to the fact that this will be our first trip with him.
Is anyone else planning on travelling soon with their little one?
My cousin passed away suddenly last weekend and today is his funeral. I considered going, but it would be a 10-11 hour drive, or a couple hour flight with a layover (nothing direct). I decided that Zachary is too young for all that, although, honestly, if it were a family member I was a bit closer to I would have made it work. My plan, if we had gone, would have been to wear him in a sling or carrier in the airport and on the plane and hope that he'd just sleep through it all.
No, but then I have nowhere that I want to go! I can understand you being hesitant. That's a lot of potential germs and a possibly upset baby you'll have to deal with. I'd say if you aren't comfortable with it, don't feel bad just telling them no. They can wait.
This is entirely your decision, but here are my two cents: (a) 4 weeks is pretty early for an airplane trip given immune system development and (b) it sounds like you'd be doing this to make your family happy, but I expect it will be a stressful trip for you. I think that second reason is enough to skip it, personally, though it may be a bit of a hairy family situation.
If you decide to not go one option would be to say that your pediatrician strongly advised against the travel. That way it doesn't seem so much like you were the one who made the decision.
Also, I want to point out that having already bought the tickets is a classic "sunk cost" in economics. You will have spent that money regardless of whether you go or not so it doesn't matter whether you do. Definitely don't fall into the trap of feeling like you HAVE to go simply because you bought the tickets.
Again, feel free to ignore this, but I wanted to give you my thoughts.
I have been travelling with my LO since 2 weeks old but that's only a three hour drive and having her on a somewhat predictable schedule. The biggest reason for travelling on the road was to visit my grandparents since my grandfather's health is not the greatest and he wanted to see LO. Also, an aunt I am close with also passed away so I dropped her off to a babysitter (SO's parents) so I could attend the funeral.
But in terms of going any large distances (more than 5 hours for me) or flying anywhere? I would hold off until the baby gets his shots and you can get him on a more predictable schedule. Even when my trip was only 3 hours, it wasn't easy and at points stressful. Besides, my predictable schedule is also shagged up so now I am spending my time trying to fix that as well.
We've done a 4 hour drive with Mackenzie when she was 2 weeks old. It wasn't bad at all. We had to stop once on the way there and once on the way home to BF her. We're planning another trip to the same place in a week...
Quite honestly, it's up to you. If you feel like the only reason you're going is because you're being pressured, then don't go. If you WANT to go, then go. Just my two cents.
we have made several trips since delilah has been born. one at 10 days to see grandparents - 2.5 each way. one where we went three hours there and back in one day. and one that was 6 hours there on a friday and 6 hours back on monday. she did great. it is just requires more frequent stops.