The Problem with Advice....

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Veteran
...is that I hear so much of it I don't even know what to listen to anymore! I got advice from my nurses while at the hospital that tell me to do this a certain way. Then I go home to hear all kinds of advice from my SO's family that contradicts what the nurses say. And then there is my family who also has a list of advice I should take. It's hard to listen to any of them because they don't like what I am doing but insist I do something the way they think is right.

She's my daughter, I know how to take care of her and how I want to take care of her. she may be my first but I think I have it covered. If I want/need your help with something I'll ask and THEN you can give me your advice. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant but I needed it off my chest. Anyone else in the same situation?
August 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be surprised if there is someone who isn't.

For me, there's advice and there's 'advice'.

Advice:
- I tried this and it worked for me, just an idea
- I see you are struggling with abc, I had the same issue and tried xyz and the outcome was pretty good

'Advice':
- THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD DO THIS BECAUSE I DID IT AND IM RIGHT ALSO I AM AN EXPERT ON THIS BECAUSE I JUST AM!
- I have a 'parenting philosophy' for how I raise my children and you aren't following it and you should because me.
- I don't understand why you are doing what you are doing but you are wrong (because me me me).

I like advice and I actually enjoy 'advice' because it gives me giggles. But that's probably more to do with my sense of humour than anything else.
Leanne Marie likes this.

August 5th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is my fifth baby and people still try to give me advice. Especially my mom. I try to just let it go in one ear and out the other because my mom and I parent very differently. It does get a little annoying though.

August 5th, 2013, 08:46 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Thankfully people know how strong willed I am and do not try to takr the reins. I have been taking care of kids for years and know what I am doing. I do what I do and they do not do without asking. That is the way I like it. Before I stopped being nice, easy going, quiet me though, I was very much bombarded too. I definitely know how frustrating that is. They still do try to undermine me by getting in BF's ear but I make sure he knows the logic or proof behind why I do what I do since he won't help or even support me. Sometimes you have to step on toes to wake people up.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; August 5th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search