Reflux mama's

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Hey ladies. I've had this suspicion that squirm has reflux for a few days now. We saw her doctor today and she agreed it sounds like it. She's growing really well so neither of us felt like medication was needed at this point. I do want to try to keep her in as little pain as possible, though. I was wondering if any of you who have been here could give me some pointers. Is there anything else I can/should be doing besides cutting the caffeine and dairy, inclining her bed, and keeping her upright after feeding?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
August 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey there, popping in from June Playroom. My little one has it terribly so we are on Prevacid. She is gaining weight and growing just fine but she was so uncomfortable from the acid that we tried Zantac and then switched to the Prevacid, and what a world of difference. Zantac is pretty gross as is so I imagine that coming back up wasn't fun. The Prevacid is a sweet tasting dissolvable pill. Just a little info if you decide to go the medicine route.

We burp her every ounce if possible, but for sure every 2 ounces (she is eating 4oz right now). And then keep her upright for at least an hour after feedings either on my chest or in her bouncer. She also sleeps in the Rock N Play because it is already inclinded and seems to help so much. And she sleeps on her side. Her reflux was coming up at night and choking her so the side sleep (with props on front and back so she can't roll) has eliminated the choking at night almost completely.

Good luck!!

~Kristin~
August 14th, 2013, 09:09 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
When we went for her one month I turned down meds because she is growing so well. Had I known how much pain she would be in that night I would have taken anything for her! She is miserab lle. I didn't know it but my holding her for 30 or so minutes after eating so she would go into a deep sleep was probably helping her. I'm afraid to let her sleep out of eyesight because she has choked. I will definitely keep the prevacid in mind, thank you!

On a side note, I'm noticing she wakes up less and makes less noise (grunting) on her side. Any correlation between reflux and noisy sleepers?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; August 14th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
August 19th, 2013, 01:35 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes there is a correlation or so I have read about being noisy sleepers and breathers. Supposedly the spit up gets in their noses and the burning acid causes them to sound asthma like.

I am a big advocate for sleeping on the side because it has helped her so much.

The main goal of the medicine is to stop the pain from the burning acid. The spit up will most likely not go away because the only way the reflux goes away is when their muscle grows and that happens as baby grows. So keeping her upright will definitely decrease the spit ups.

As far as the choking, I just saw my doctor today and he said as long as baby isn't turning blue or going limp the choking is normal because the airway is closing from the spit up. But as long as baby "convulses" and doesn't stop breathing or going limp from not breathing, the choking and "convulsing" is babies way of reacting to the airway being closed for a few seconds. Totally normal, but scary as heck for mommy and baby.

Aubrey is 2 months and her reflux is getting so much better. It is really just a game of trying things to see what works for you and what doesn't as it is so different for every baby.

Hope she is doing better!

~Kristin~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search