Fur Moms!

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Twin Mama
So my fur moms how are the little animals of the house adjusting to the new arrival(s)? Got any suggestions for keeping them feeling the love?

My cat seems to avoid the twins and is not really interested. He is very clingy to us though and will try to get in our faces when we are on the couch feeding babies at night, his love me hours. I don't get to pet him much though because I am allergic and have to wash my hands after or if I touch my face I'll pay. I also don't want to pet him and touch a baby without washing, and honestly it's rare I'm not touching a baby.

The dog, poor poor dog. She sniffs them and checks on them occasionally but HATES the crying and runs to the other side of the house to get away from it. She mostly sleeps in the office all day while i tend to the babies, I noticed I went a whole day without petting her last week and felt awful! I really need to set aside some time and take her to the dog park while DH has the twins so she can have some fun. I can't wait until they are old enough to interact with her or throw a ball for her and we can teach them how to pet nicely.

How are the other fur babies faring?

August 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran
I live with four cats right now, and the two males love Ryan. They are so protective over him, and if anyone other than me is near him they will sit in between the "intruder" and the baby, it's so cute. The two girl cats are pretty much indifferent to him, although if he ever does start to cry they run away - I don't know if they really understand what he is lol.

I do really miss giving all my cats love though, and I know that they really miss it I'm a stay at home single mom, and so Ryan never really leaves my side.
August 22nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Super Mommy
I'm in the same situation. My cat has no interest in the baby but whenever he sees us giving Marcos some attention, he'll come right next to us wanting attention too. I'm relying a lot of DH to giving our cat some love. Luckily, kitty got a whole lot of attention this week because I was out of town with Marcos for a few days so DH was home alone with the cat.

Lately he's been having some feline acne on his chin. Before giving birth, I was taking care of it and washing his chin a couple of times a day but for the past 5 weeks I just haven't had time and it's been worsening. I made a firm commitment today to take at least 5 minutes of my time every day to do it.
August 22nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
My dog just thinks she's the most lickable thing she's ever seen. She thinks that about everyone, but still.

Our cats are two different kinds of "I don't care." The bigger one knows she is there but isn't really afraid anymore. He likes to sleep with us so if she is in his usual spot, he will curl up right next to her. He doesn't really acknowledge her other than not stepping on her.

My baby kitty is my super lovey guy, and he is attached to my hip. For about the first week he didn't come near me because she was always with me. He finally got over it and started coming for cuddles and love. The problem is he treats her like part of the furniture - he'll step on her, lay on her, try to knead her if she's on the boppy. One night I was nursing her and he decided he had to lay on my chest right then, so I was holding my boob with one hand and holding him off of her with the other He did lick her head a few nights ago, which is a good sign. It was cute. If she moves, though, he is out of there.

Really the only thing you can do is give them time. There's no forcing it. They'll either warm up to the babies or they won't. I don't think my cats ever will because they've been around too many kids who chased them. Maybe when it cools down you can take babies and dog out together for the evening.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; August 22nd, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
August 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
My cats have all done the baby thing before so they don't act any different.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
August 27th, 2013, 08:00 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea131 View Post
My cats have all done the baby thing before so they don't act any different.
Ditto, we have two cats and a dog. They didn't react much to the first baby either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search