Hemangioma (Strawberry Mark) Day 7 Update

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shea131

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2013, 03:12 AM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any mommy's have a baby with a Hemangioma? My daughter has a small one above her left eyebrow. She had her first appointment Thursday at a pediatric dermatologist. She started her on Timolol. I am to put it on her Hemangioma 2x a day. I will try to do test shots weekly to see how it is progressing.

This is her day before starting Timolol:

Day 7 On Timolol:

Last edited by LittleMomma09; September 7th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
August 31st, 2013, 04:48 AM
Veteran
i think its cute
August 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
She is reallllllly beautiful!!!!

Im not familiar with that at all but have always heard about it, a couple of my kids had a red patch in the nape of their neck that went away very early in age and I never treated it , is that the same type of marking but just on her forheard?
August 31st, 2013, 03:52 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
My older DD has a quarter size one on her neck that they told us would eventually fade. If she wanted it treated when she is older they would then. I noticed April has one starting on her middle upper back.

August 31st, 2013, 04:47 PM
A hemangioma (he-man-jee-O-muh) is a birthmark that most commonly appears as a rubbery, bright red nodule of extra blood vessels in the skin.

Sometimes called a strawberry mark, a hemangioma grows during the first year of life, and then recedes over time. A child who had a hemangioma during infancy usually has little visible trace of the growth by age 10.

A hemangioma can occur anywhere on the body, but most commonly appears on the face, scalp, chest or back.

Hemangioma - MayoClinic.com

She told me that it should fade by the age of 10. But that she couldn't tell me how big it would get. They rapidly grow and her's is growing so fast I can see weekly changes in it. She started her on the Timolol eye drops because she has been using it on patients for over 2years and there have been no side effects from it. My main worry is they can bleed really easy, and a lot. On top of that since they don't know how much it will grow I don't want it to impair her vision. She told me that the sooner they treat it the easier it is to stop it's growth and for it to go away.

September 1st, 2013, 11:25 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMomma09 View Post
She started her on the Timolol eye drops because she has been using it on patients for over 2years and there have been no side effects from it
I heard a derm near us rx'd the same thing.

B has a big one that wraps around half of her arm. It caused her jaundice from day 1. It has definitely faded. We're going to see the derm in a few weeks.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
September 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
HappilyTogether's Avatar Super Mommy
Trevor has one on the top of his head. We are definitely noticing very rapid growth in it's size.
September 2nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
my 3.5 year old DS has one on his wrist. It's about the size of a nickel or quarter. It has grown with him since birth, has not faded at all. They said if he still has it when he turns 5 they will talk about removal or treatment, but most fade on their own.. They generally only treat ones that are on the face or head unless they are growing or not fading by 5 years.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

September 2nd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyTogether View Post
Trevor has one on the top of his head. We are definitely noticing very rapid growth in it's size.
Are you going to leave it alone?

I went with treatment because her dermatologist said it could cause skin sagging if left to grow. I started her on the Timolol 8/31/13 and I can already see change in it. I will update with pictures this coming Saturday.

September 7th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I wonder if that's what's on Jax's belly? Hmmm I just assumed it was a birthmark. Since its bright red tho maybe this is what it is.
Cicada likes this.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 7th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea131 View Post
I wonder if that's what's on Jax's belly? Hmmm I just assumed it was a birthmark. Since its bright red tho maybe this is what it is.
Can you post a picture?

Day 7 of Timolol and to me it is looking lighter already. She hasn't had any side effects.

September 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Wow that was quick !! Good theres been no side effects !! Is that how fast it usually responds?
September 10th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I think its because we are treating it early and it's not as big as some. It's still in it's early growing stages and the medicine stops its growth.

October 16th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I'm over in the uk and my 7 month old girl has EXACTLY the same birth mark and has been being treated for 2 weeks on timolol gel. I can see that it has begun to fade in colour. Would lie to post a pic but unsure how.

Tags
hemangioma , strawberry mark

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search