Intense Baby

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andrewbe7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Super Mommy
I'm a FTM so I don't really have anything to compare this to, but I've been talking to some friends and family about Marcos' behaviour and it seems that he is a fairly intense baby.

I wrote a few weeks ago about how he refused to sleep in his crib or pack n play. Well now he goes but ONLY after 9pm. It used to be that during the day I could only get him to sleep in his swing, but now he refuses to even do that. He will not sleep at all during the day unless he is held. I can't even put him down for 5 minutes without him throwing a fit. And this is even after he's been fed and diaper changed. Also, when he cries, he will only stop if pick him up and walk around with him, bouncing him up and down until he falls asleep. And when I say "cry", I mean intense crying to the point where he gets so worked up he is covered in sweat and starts coughing and choking.

He's been checked from head to toe by both midwife and family physician and he's perfectly healthy. To be honest, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with him. The problem is clearly that he wants to be held 24/7 and gets very upset if he's not - and he seems to be getting worse. Plus he gets overexhausted because he cannot get a solid chunk of sleep during the day. I've been given advice to wear him in a sling but I don't find it helpful at all because I'd still have to carry around 12lbs of baby all day long.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I enjoy being a mom and spending quality time with Marcos, but his constant need to be held is exhausting. Some days I feel completely helpless and wonder how much longer this will last.
September 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Breana_Ashlee's Avatar Veteran
Layla is the same way, she will not sleep in her bassinet or crib at all... during the day she will sleep in her swing for short periods of time and at night she will sleep next to me in bed but if there is no one in the bed with her she wakes up and starts crying. so she constantly sleeps on my chest.. i feel useless because i can't do anything when i'm home alone with her..

[/CENTER]
September 4th, 2013, 11:17 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Please try not to let this get you down by feeling helpless!! hugs>>

My oldest son and my oldest daughter wanted to be held and so does D. It is very tiring . The positives in this though is that it will get easier as baby changes demands and with age. Also, although the crying is heartbreaking, thankfully its not something like colic where no matter what you do, the baby cries and cries.

D is always wanting to be held now also and that has been difficult because I have 4 other very young kids to take of and cook for and clean ect ect...and just like you I dont have the option of wearing her either because of my back and neck problems.

We will get through these sometimes tough times, your doing a great job as his mommy because you are very clear on his needs and is otherwise healthy and happy!!
September 5th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! It's been hard not to beat myself up over this because sometimes I think that maybe there's something that I'm not doing right. I've been reading up on the topic quite a bit and some of these sites make it seem like I should be holding my baby all day long with a big smile on my face because that's what a good mother does. It makes me feel guilty that I don't feel that way.

My saving grace is that Marcos is so good at nights. Every evening at 9pm I give him a bath, put him in his pajamas, and nurse him in the rocking chair. Then when I put him to bed in his crib he will stay there and will wake up at midnight, 3am, and 6am to feed and then go back to sleep. At 6am he will not let me put him back in his crib but I can at least have him lie down with me in the bed and he's quiet. In the mornings, he won't sleep but is generally in a good mood and I have more energy to deal with him. It gets pretty bad after lunch, though.

I am almost wondering whether the daylight has something to do with it - doesn't seem like a coincidence that his behaviour starts when the sun comes up and then stops when the sun goes down. I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness fall/winter is coming and the days are getting shorter!
September 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
wow that is a great sleep cycle!!!!

Ya its oppisite of what I read and hear about colicky babies with the evening being most common for fussiness or straight out crying.
September 5th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran
I feel your pain. My DD is the same way but SLOWLY getting out of it. The only thing I did was give her something interesting to watch and it worked for me. The aquarium and other toys didn't work. Instead, I bought a little light that shines on the ceiling and displays a "light show". It keeps her interested long enough for her to fall asleep.

The other thing I did was let her watch Pocoyo on my computer. She doesn't watch other kid shows but Pocoyo she will. I think the white background and the colorful characters help, not too much going on for her.

I don't blame you for not holding him all day, I only have one child and I still don't have the time of day for that. At least he has a good sleeping schedule!
September 5th, 2013, 07:58 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I have a friend who has a baby that sounds similar to yours. She started bouncing with him on an exercise ball and she said that was a life (and back) saver! He's starting to outgrow it, so there is hope!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
September 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran
I bought one of those fisher price i gliders. Not on the swing function but the glide. works great.
I personally bought a co sleeper...one of the ones that go ON the bed. I lay him next to me and sneakily slide him into it for peace

This is just offensive to me. Absolutely ridiculous bratty outlook.
Why do people like this even bother to have children...
sick
September 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
what?
September 7th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
^^ditto

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Veteran
I thimk (and hope) that she was trying to leave the end of that response to the post about the mom and dad not wanting twins.

My baby is also like yours -he wants to be held ALL THE TIME. I can only put him in his swing for like 5 minutes at a time while I run around like crazy, refilling my water, or making food, and going to the bathroom. This phase will end though, as soon as our babies start crawling they will lose interest in being held all the time. Hang in there
Shea131 likes this.
September 7th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbe7 View Post

My baby is also like yours -he wants to be held ALL THE TIME. I can only put him in his swing for like 5 minutes at a time while I run around like crazy, refilling my water, or making food, and going to the bathroom. This phase will end though, as soon as our babies start crawling they will lose interest in being held all the time. Hang in there
The sad part is, he used to love being in his swing and would stay in it for a good 20-30min awake and up to 1hr asleep. Then last week he suddenly decided he didn't like his swing anymore! He cries the minute we put him in it (whether awake or asleep). I don't get it!

Ironically, the swaddling that didn't work a few weeks ago is now working! I was desperate for him to go for a nap yesterday because I was beyond exhausted, so I decided to give swaddling one more try. I wrapped him up like a giant burrito (he's a big baby) and set him in his pack n' play, and he took two naps in the afternoon: the first lasted 1hr and the 2nd lasted 2 hours. It was such a relief!
September 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
^^^ yyyyaaaaahhhh !!! thats great !! Hopefully he will continue !!!
September 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just busted out our swaddling blankets (with the velcro fastener), and Lachlans a big boy too - so I think the velcro keeps the swaddle tighter, and he's out like a light in it. Hope he continues to sleep well for you!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search