Items you are loving / not using

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cicada

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A few months back we had a few threads about items we were buying/not buying and "would you buy this" threads.

So to re-hash the idea, what do you have that you think is fantastic? What do you wish you didn't spend the money on?

September 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM
For us, we have been using:

- Newborn-to-toddler rocker. She hates the rocker bit so we keep the legs out but she has developed a love for the monkey that hangs off it and has 'conversations' with him.

- Change table. I know this was one that a lot of people were saying "Don't bother" but it has been a lifesaver on my joints. I tried to change her on the bed the other day and I ended up stuck on the floor, haha.

- This thing:

You measure out the formula into the sections and just pour it into the bottles as you need it when you are out, so I don't have to pack ice bricks and whatever for them. My Mum was watching me use it and exclaimed "You know, there is absolutely no reason for that to have not existed when you were little".

Things I wish I didn't buy:

- (Slash receive as gifts for this one) Baby hoodies and hooded jackets. Yes they're cute, but Audrey always spits up in the hood somehow.

September 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Cicada's Avatar Regular
Glad I bought:

- a breast pump (currently using Medela In Style advanced). Before I have birth everyone told me to not have one because it would gie me an 'easy out' and make me less likely to breast feed. Well, after having a baby with physical issues that made it so he just couldn't latch, I wish I had at least a manual one ready after the birth... Then I could have avoided formula. He's getting breast milk now, but I wish I was more prepared 'just in case' back then.

-hands free pumping bra an a double pump. Going from a single pump to a double and the bra was life changing. It made it SO much less trouble to pump.

-mei tai carrier. I bought 2 carriers before this: a wrap style and a sling. Both proved difficult to put on by myself so I just didn't use them. But then I got the mei tai and now I love it.

Don't really care for:

-the wrap and sling carriers I bought before my mei tai. They just weren't for me.

-footsie pjs that don't have snaps down both legs. We got a bunch of these as gifts and bought one and it makes it impossible to change Lukas diaper without taking the whole thing off in the middle of the night.

-swaddlers. We used these at first but our guy just loves having his arms out. We have a zipper swaddler that we just never used. The wrap ones I guess we still can wrap it with their arms out, but we didn't really need them.
jam121184 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Super Mommy
Things we love:

Pack n' Play - We keep it in our living room and Marcos loves to play in it. The bonus with that one is that there is a change table that clips onto it (we don't have a change table in our apartment) so it's been super useful.

Breast pump - I have a Medela Swing electric pump and it works like a charm. I don't need to "stock up" because I'm on mat leave for a year but it's nice to have a small milk supply if I want to leave the house for a while or if DH wants to feed him.

Carrier - We have a Baby Bjorn and Marcos loves being in it. He falls asleep right away. It's been really useful for us because we live in Toronto and it's very difficult to get around the public transportation system with a stroller.

Thing we don't use:

Swaddlers - Marcos hates the swaddlers and he always gets out of them anyway. We just swaddle him with a blanket.

I have a million lotions, oils, talcum powder, etc... I barely use any of them so far. I guess I've been lucky that his skin has been pretty good.

Nursing tops - I thought they'd be useful to wear when I'm out in public and had to breastfeed but it's such a pain in the butt that I'd rather just bring a bottle of breast milk with me when I'm going out. At home, I just lift my entire shirt up instead. The nursing bras are a lifesaver though.

Baby bag - Someone gave us one that you sling over the shoulder and we don't like that. We ended up buying a nice Osprey day pack that's super light, has good back support, and has lots of compartments. It's way more convenient.
September 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
You measure out the formula into the sections and just pour it into the bottles as you need it when you are out, so I don't have to pack ice bricks and whatever for them.
Those are great, especially on road trips! I love them.

I don't think there's been anything yet that we haven't used. If anything I guess the bouncer, it isn't designed very well, but it is still good for a few minutes when I need hands free and I don't want her laying down.

Things I love - the maya wrap someone gave me, the wet pad for the bed (I change her on it), the small diaper bag (I hate the huge ones).

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
September 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I forgot to buy a diaper bag, ended up using a library bag "just for now" and it's stuck. Works quite well.

September 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Kiam I have the same avent feed holder and I dont like because its easy to spill the powder because the spout is not friendly for me

A good buy---

-A great buy for us is a swing!!! buys me time when I need it plus she loves it!
-love the swaddles for her

Not so good buys---

-Tatget brand diapers, bought just to see because ive always used huggies and WONT be buying them again!
September 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mommy_2layla's Avatar Veteran
Good Buys/Gift

Her Swing.. DH's aunt gave it to us and it has been a life saver she uses it all the time and it is the only place she will sleep besides in my arms or in bed next to me..

infant bath tub.. She looooves bath time.. she would still in there for hours if i let her

Swaddle blankets... she absolutely hates being swaddled.. but the muslin ones come in handy because Florida is hot and humid... but they are light enough to use when we are shopping and what not

Bad buys..

My mom bought us a bassinet and we do not use it at all she will stay in there 5-10 minutes thats it.. it has become a rolling storage unit for diapers and onesies.

Basically her entire room set... i went all out painted, decorated the whole bit but she has never even seen her crib and the only time we go in her room is to grab extra supplies to throw in the bassinet.

September 16th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran
Loves/ Must Haves:
*Change table. People kept telling me "oh youll never use it" actually I do. I have 2x lol. One upstairs and one downstairs (has a built in bath)
*iglider saved many sleepless nights
*lamb swing- great but chews through batteries
* formula dispeners <3

dont use so much:
moby wrap, Only because I am paranoid ive wrapped it wrong lol
September 17th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Super Mommy
Loves:

My Lug diaper bag. It's perfect!

Rock n play sleeper. It's awesome. They are not widely available in Canada, so people that see it love it. We take it with us whenever we go away.

Breast pump. Medela Freestyle= worth it.

Large wet bags- I use these for so much more than dirty cloth diapers. Dirty clothes when away, wet ones when swimming. So convenient.

iBaby monitor. I have my iPad set up beside the bed and can see every little breath he takes.

Don't use:

Pack and play. We used it once when we had to sleep in the basement because it was too hot. The rock n play is just so much easier.

Lamp. Honesty. I got a cute little Lion King lamp, but the switch is on the cord, so it's too hard to find in the dark. I usually just turn the closet light on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search