BLW vs purees

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By -erin-

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2013, 12:07 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I've met quite a few babies who never got to play with their food, so I like to let them experiment. It has always been for fun, though, not serious nutrition. Generally I did it after I knew they were full so I wasn't wasting food. Has anyone here tried BLW? How did it work out? What age would you recommend starting it?

Alternatively, has anyone here made their own baby food? How did that work out?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
September 19th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is one of those things where I was so confused when I discovered that there are people (okay, internet people, I have never met anyone IRL who pushes one over the other) who push one over the other and sat here thinking "Is this a thing? Are we doing this now? Why are we doing this?"

Sometimes I feel so out of the loop with these things and I think it's because I am only first generation Australian and I was raised in a cultural pocket in Melbourne where everyone migrated from the same place at the same time (we have a lot of those areas here, but then that said, my parents moved to Chinatown, so I was this odd Euro-Arab girl who lived in Chinatown, my parents were weirdos). Anyway, that's going off topic. Point is, the idea of one of the other makes zero sense to me.

Sometimes we eat pureed foods (I cry a little inside whenever I head the BLW argument of "It's not a real food texture" I have a book with that line in it and it makes me sad and makes me want to bring the person over to my house so I can pump them full of soup, porridge, pate, mashed vegetables, relish, chutney, dip, mousse and so on because I feel like they are missing out on so many glorious foods) and use a spoon and learn how to eat properly, sometimes we eat finger foods and learn about how it feels and what we can do with it, and sometimes we just smear spaghetti on our heads and think that we are pretty tops for doing so. It all works together and I think people that go so hard on one or the other are missing parts about the joy of food.

Sorry, I tend to get on my soapbox about this because I think it is nuts.

So I guess we intend to do both. Or as I like to call it "eating normally and not restricting things". It will be a rare occasion for me to buy baby food because, and I don't know if this is the case overseas, but here, my goodness it is expensive. I don't have money to blow on packaging because so much of the price is just packaging, at least I assume because I refuse to believe that 50g of apple puree can cost more than a kilo of apples. Plus it takes no effort to pull a piece of something out of what I have cooked for us and hack at it with a fork and whack it in a plastic bowl.

Off topic, but funny that you bring up children not playing with food though. If I think back to my childhood more of my playing with food probably came from cooking rather than eating. I got absolutely shot down on a different forum once with posters accusing my parents of child abuse because I mentioned that at the age of 5 I knew the correct way to butcher a goat. 100% true and I found it somewhat lovely that there were people out there who had so little exposure to child abuse in their lives that they had such a kneejerk reaction to a child having this knowledge, yet put some interesting questions in my mind about the funny stigmas we have about children and food.

Last edited by Kiam; September 19th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
September 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
I got absolutely shot down on a different forum once with posters accusing my parents of child abuse because I mentioned that at the age of 5 I knew the correct way to butcher a goat. 100% true and I found it somewhat lovely that there were people out there who had so little exposure to child abuse in their lives that they had such a kneejerk reaction to a child having this knowledge, yet put some interesting questions in my mind about the funny stigmas we have about children and food.
I totally agree with you. DH grew up in Cuba and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, he was lucky to have a piece of bread in the morning and maybe a hard-boiled egg to eat with his rice later that evening. People were so desperate that they would season grapefruit rinds, fry them up, and pretend that they were steaks. His father would buy live chickens and DH would help him chase them around the house and kill them in the bathtub. Sometimes, it was either that or starve. In that context, it makes me upset that people would judge what we put in our child's mouth, since relatively speaking, he is going to live a childhood of privilege that DH never had.
September 19th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Wel, I don't know if I should have included my thoughts on this along with my questions. I am not leaning toward one over the other. I have always done both, I just didn't know there was a whole 'movement' similar to what I was doing. But I think 6 months may be a little too early for blw. I've never given true solids to a baby before 9 months. I'm wondering what age others have started blw.

I see baby food as a nice transition between bm/ formula and non-liquid, non-mush, both because of choking risks and because some kids don't take to the transition from liquid to solid very well. However I'm not fond of store bought baby foods, for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking of making my own purees but I never have and am hoping to hear from people who have, if it is as complicated as it seems, how costly the initial investment is, ect.

Last edited by NinjaCakes; September 19th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
September 19th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I think cost depends on how you do it to be honest.

I know there are products like the baby bullet and all of that that jack up the cost but honestly, cooked food + fork is the only way I've ever seen it done so there is zero investment.

September 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I did blw with my dd and loved it. I plan to do the same with Zachary. We started her around 5 months and she mostly ate whatever we were eating that she could handle. It was very easy and fun. I'll probably wait until 6 months, or seeing more "readiness signs" like sitting independently, for him. I was a bit over eager with Juliet, but it still worked out great.
NinjaCakes likes this.

September 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Oh and we weren't super strict only-blw, we spoon fed her occasionally for stuff like applesauce, yogurt...

September 20th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Super Mommy
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet - I'll have to play it by ear. I have a feeling I'll be introducing solids pretty early, at about 5-6 months, because Marcos is a big eater and I don't know how long breastmilk only is going to fill him up. He's already drinking as much as 6-7oz at a time and he's only 9 weeks.

Someone gave me a baby bullet at my baby shower so I figure I might as well use it. It has a book with instructions on what foods to introduce first and recipes to make, so I will probably try that.

We are going to Cuba in January for a month, so Marcos would be 5-6 months by then. I am debating whether to introduce solids to him before, during, or after the trip. Part of me wants him on breastmilk only because I'm concerned about the quality of the tap water, but I've also been told that because of the heat babies want to be breastfed constantly because they are hot, so I don't know. We will have to play it by ear.
September 20th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
Part of me wants him on breastmilk only because I'm concerned about the quality of the tap water...
You can use breastmilk instead of tap water to make purees. It is a better additive, really. An LC that runs the breastfeeding group I go to also told me that breastfed babies don't have to continually increase the number of ozs they drink because the content of the milk changes according to their needs, so quantity may not be as big of a concern.

September 20th, 2013, 04:57 PM
You can also stick with foods with a high water content naturally if you are concerned about it.

September 20th, 2013, 06:49 PM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
I made baby food for Jen. We started with purees when she was about 6 months old. I already had a off brand magic bullet that I used. We did fruits and veggies first and I never pureed meats b/c by the time we introduced them to her she was ready to eat them in tiny pieces. I would buy frozen veggies when they were on sale and make huge batches. I would freeze them in ice cube trays then put them in bags and date them. Then I would just warm up 1 or 2 cubes when she was ready to eat. Fruits were a little more labor intensive b/c I had too wash and peel everything and then cook it depending on what it was (some fruits you don't cook). You can make so much though and it really is so much cheaper. I will do it again with Will and if you just make a day of it you won't have to make food very often.

September 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
we will do a bit of both, but all homemade

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 24th, 2013, 07:15 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did all homemade purées with DS1. Followed wholesomebabyfood.com. Will do the same this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search