oversupply / overactive letdown

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Houghtie
  • 3 Post By Jessifer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
Anyone having this problem? I am, and it sucks. I just feel bad for Mila thinking of her little tummyaches. I'm trying to counter the problem but I can't stand the feeling of engorgement. So I squeeze some out and I think it's defeating the purpose.
September 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Squeezing some out by hand is better than pumping IMO. I've been dealing with both as well and pumping always made it worse. I was told by an lc to hand express just enough to have relief. I know it is painful and frustrating, and I hate how block nursing just perpetuates her tummy aches and gas, but in time (I hope) it will level out.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
September 21st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Super Mommy
I wish I had this problem :/

I'm still taking 9 domperidone, 9 fenugreek and 9 blessed thistle a day. Plus oatmeal and drinking Nursing Mothers tea. And pumping multiple times a day.

Even with all of this we still have to supplement from time to time. Henry went 3 days last week without getting any formula and I was so happy I cried.

I'm not against formula in any way, shape or form and I was only planning on breastfeeding for two months...Until I had trouble breastfeeding and I became too determined and stubborn to stop trying!

It seems that no one has a 'perfect' breastfeeding experience. Everyone I know either makes too much or too little milk, both with their drawbacks.
AmiraX4 likes this.
September 21st, 2013, 09:11 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houghtie View Post

It seems that no one has a 'perfect' breastfeeding experience. Everyone I know either makes too much or too little milk, both with their drawbacks.
I have to admit that for me, I have absolutely no problems with the breastfeeding so far. I produce enough to feed my son and fill up a 5oz bottle every 1-2 days which is exactly the quantity I need. It's shocking because while pregnant and as a FTM, this was my biggest concern.

And please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it to make anyone feel bad. On the contrary, I'm saying it so that people know that it is possible have a very positive and "easy" experience with breastfeeding. Perhaps not with their current child, but maybe for the next one? (Could go the other way for me too - maybe my next child, breastfeeding will not be so easy).

Hang in there, ladies - I really admire your dedication because to be honest, if I had been having difficulties I might have given up on breastfeeding a long time ago!
GranolaMamaOf3, tela and AmiraX4 like this.
September 22nd, 2013, 10:23 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I have EB most of my 8 children and a few for almost 2 yrs. my last couple of babies I introduced Formula because of medical reasons for ME, so I appreciate ALL your views on doing what you can to BF and at the same time not knocking down those of us who for whatever reasons FF!!!

I hope you get supply to fit your babies/your needes without troubles real soon!! hang in there

September 23rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
We have had a little bit of trouble with oversupply. We had a rough first week and had to start pumping when he was about 4 days old. He had a lazy latch and was swallowing a lot of air when he nursed. He was almost exclusively bottlefed breastmilk for about two weeks while we worked on his latch, but managed to transition to a decent latch eventually. However, I think those first weeks contributed to an oversupply. It's finally started to level out and I was able to build up a lovely freezer stash, so I can't complain too much about it.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
September 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
I have to admit that for me, I have absolutely no problems with the breastfeeding so far. I produce enough to feed my son and fill up a 5oz bottle every 1-2 days which is exactly the quantity I need. It's shocking because while pregnant and as a FTM, this was my biggest concern.

And please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it to make anyone feel bad. On the contrary, I'm saying it so that people know that it is possible have a very positive and "easy" experience with breastfeeding. Perhaps not with their current child, but maybe for the next one? (Could go the other way for me too - maybe my next child, breastfeeding will not be so easy).

Hang in there, ladies - I really admire your dedication because to be honest, if I had been having difficulties I might have given up on breastfeeding a long time ago!
This exactly. BF is so easy for me. DS1 self-weaned at 26 months. I pumped at work FT from 8 weeks to 1 year! It was tough, but I always had a perfect supply for him. It's been super easy with this baby. I too pump 3-5 oz/day for my freezer stash for returning to work and make the perfect amount for baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search