Lactose Intolerate Baby.

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Veteran
I'm a first time Mom and never throughout my history of babysitting have I come across a baby that is lactose intolerate so of course I don't know the signs of one that is.....until now. I've been having trouble with Adelyn's formula's since day one.

The first formula, Enfamil A+ gave her an upset stomach. She would cry almost after every feeding. So after a week we changed her milk to Parents Choice, a Wal-Mart brand formula milk. It was cheaper and we assume it might solve the problem and it was the Enfamil upsetting her. Well by the time she was 5 weeks, we noticed that this formula wasn't working either. In fact we spent nights with her screaming in agony. Couldn't figure it out, just assumed she was being fussy or possibly colic. When I asked my family doctor she said that wouldn't make since because Adelyn can burp fine so it might be a fussy time. So my doctor suggested putting her on Similac Low Iron until she was old enough to drink the powdered milk (3 months).

The Similac Low Iron (which we didn't want her on long because my doctor said she needed the iron in the regular formula) seemed to be doing good at first. She would spit up a lot more but there was no more crying and screaming in pain. We were talking about how sad we were that we would have to change formulas again since Adelyn was doing so well on this new milk. After about three days in, she started to squirm and get cranky again. The spitting up was getting worse and we figured this was another fail. I called the doctor and she told me to add a little more water to it for the time being and see if that would help. It did for the most part. When she was 10 weeks (last week), my doctor told me to try and and lessen the water since we were drowning out the stuff she needs with more water and thus she was drinking more and more and getting up earlier and earlier. So once we tried going back to the normal measurements of water, the pain came back at full force. I didn't know what the heck the matter was. We figured it still might be the UTI she had earlier but once I told my doctor, she had a suspicion that Adelyn might be lactose intolerate.

So starting last night we are trying her with the Enfamil Gentlease. Yes, it's not completely lactose free but we only have a suspicion so for now we are trying her with this. My doctor assumes she can handle the little amount of lactose in this formula since she managed to keep the other formulas down for the most part even though it caused her stomach pains. This formula also comes in powder, only powder, so we had to start earlier than 3 months but we didn't have a choice. Can't have the poor girl in pain all the time. So hopefully this will work and later on she grows out of this lactose stage if that's what the problem is.

When I hear of babies being lactose intelerate, I always think of babies power puking the milk across the room. My doctor told me that wasn't always the case and some babies keep it down but suffer from stomach pains and bad cramping, much like a woman's menstrual cycle that can be on and off throughout the day. Well, I learned something new.

Any other Moms have/had experiences with a lactose intelerate baby?

September 25th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Vomiting is actually quite uncommon as far as lactose intolerance goes.

Audrey is, after I had breast cysts rupture in hospital and she was put on formula (our brands are different but it was standard Nan Pro) I noticed she was getting cramps, the nurse brushed it off as change in diet but once the frothy dihorrea started I knew what it was and she had a hydrogen breath test which showed she was lactose intolerant. She's been on Karicare-Aptamil Delact since then and has been fine and dandy.

I only picked itbup because I am lactose intolerant and could recognise the symptoms.

September 25th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran
<uses Karicare Aptamil Delact
knew to use this due to extreme tummy pain after the other formula.
September 25th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Veteran
Ryan is. He used to be really really gassy where he would cry in pain every time he had to pass gas because it was so hard for him. And then there was a point where all of his poops turned green. I took him to the doctor and he immediately thought it must be the dairy in my diet, Ryan is EBF. So as soon as I cut out all dairy he stopped all that And I know he still can't handle dairy because if I slip up even a little his poop turns green again.
September 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appletree View Post
<uses Karicare Aptamil Delact
knew to use this due to extreme tummy pain after the other formula.
Do you find it really hard to find? I can only ever seem to find it at Chemist Waregouse or Priceline and even then there is never any more than two tins on shelf.

September 25th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran
Kiam, now that you mention it Adelyn has a lot of diarrhea as well. I didn't realize that was a symptom. And all of this didn't add up to lactose intolerance because I had never dealt with this before. At least I know for the future.

And Andrewb7, Adelyn was fussy a lot as well with stomach pains. Again, I just thought it was a fussy spurt. Thank god we found out what the real problem was.

September 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I thought I've read its really rare for babies to be lactose intolerant, its usually a milk protein allergy or something?

September 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Rare, but those babies that do have it have to be somewhere
GamerMom likes this.

September 26th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
I thought I've read its really rare for babies to be lactose intolerant, its usually a milk protein allergy or something?
Yeah, I heard it was quite rare as well. That's why SO and I didn't even think about this being a possibility when Adelyn was so upset. Though I recently found out that SO is also lactose intolerant. Not completely intolerant to it but he can't take a lot or he'll get really stomach sick. I guess that's where Adelyn got it from.

And like Kiam said, as rare as it is it has to come from somewhere. lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search