Solid Foods

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Super Mommy
I was looking at my baby book and my mom started putting rice cereal in my bottle at like 1 1/2 months old, and by 3 months old I was eating mashed potatoes, carrot pures, bananas, etc... I was a little taken aback, since Marcos is going to be 4 months old in 11 days and I'm only giving him breast milk.

Has anyone started introducing their LO to solid foods yet? When do you plan to do it?
November 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's funny looking back on our baby books, things used to be so different.

In mine it was apparently 'mandatory' to feed babies liver. I asked my Mum why, she just shrugged and said "Everyone said that babies needed to eat liver", it cracked me up.

November 7th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Super Mommy
We'll start solid foods at six months. We'll probably skip cereal altogether and go straight into fruits and veggies. He's already showing signs of being interested in food, but he's got about 6 more weeks to go.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
November 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Super Mommy
I think I might atart at 4.5 months. We are leaving for Cuba in early January for a month and Marcos would be turning 6 months halfway through the trip. I don't want to start while I'm there cause if he's having a hard time with it, I don't want to run around trying to find a pediatrician (although I must admit that the DRs there are excellent and know their stuff).

Anyway, I was thinking of initiating it in early December so that he has a bit of time to get used to it before we leave. I'll talk to my DR about it when I bring him in for his 4-month vaccines in a couple of weeks.
November 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Its funny how times have changed the way and time table for introducing solids over the years.

When I had my first ( who is now 23! ) starting oatmeal at 4 months was totally normal. But as I had each child after it all began changing for me. I now wouldnt think of starting till at least 6 months if there was interest and if weight was an issue.

I do have a couple of friends that introduce 4-5 month mark and they had zero problems with baby and starting then. So its really a matter of what baby needs IMO. To me theres no right or wrong time to start.
November 7th, 2013, 10:10 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I plan to start around 6 months doing baby led weaning (aka baby led solids). I did the same with DD, but we started around 5 months, which I blame on over eager first time mommy-ness I'm excited to start, but really in no rush this time around.

November 7th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Twin Mama
I'll probably start when they can sit up in a hi-chair, likely 6-ish months. Not sure exactly what route we will take, purees, veggies & fruits ect. I don't want to do cereal bottles though, if we dop cereal it will likely be oatmeal to play with/eat.

November 7th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to eat all my brother's rice cereal when he was a baby, I'm so buying some just so I can eat it.

November 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran
I think the first time I'll try feeding him will be on Thanksgiving he'll be 5 months and almost 1 week old. I'm gonna give him a spoonful or two (if he even accepts) of bananas. But then I'm gonna wait until 6 months to start solids for real
November 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran
I have Adelyn on the single grain rice cereal now. The formula just wasn't doing it for her anymore. She was eating a lot more and a lot more frequently. Only when the doctor suggested I try it did I finally cave and bought some. Luckily Adelyn can sit up on her own for long periods of time now so that made the decision easier since they can't eat it lying down. Now she lasts longer throughout the day without feedings and sleeps about 11 hours a night. It was a plus in my books and luckily it seems Adelyn was all but ready for it.

November 15th, 2013, 06:20 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I have given Elliott prunes mixed with cereal a few times and I think we will start some foods this weekend. He is a little over 4 months and is only on breastmilk but doesn't poo very often and then when he goes it is a TON! so I'm hoping some food may help a little. I figured prunes wouldn't make him constipated with starting more solids so I'm going to make some apple sauce, carrots and peas this weekend.
November 17th, 2013, 07:00 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
We are going to wait until closer to 6 months or until he starts to show he's really interested/ready to eat solids. I think it's totally up to you and your baby to decide when he's ready.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search