Why is eating healthy so hard?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By AmiraX4
  • 2 Post By Kiam
  • 1 Post By Jessifer
  • 1 Post By GamerMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran
Lately I've been really lazy, to put it nicely, to make myself good breakfasts and lunches. Most days my meals consist of pop to drink and whatever sodium filled can food I can quickly put on. Now I do babysit on and off during the day and I am usually cooking only for myself. Though that shouldn't be an excuse. Salad is just as fast and much healthier. Now mind you, I do have really good suppers since my SO is home and I cook for my brother at times as well.

As for the pop (Diet Pepsi and Coke Zero) habit, I really need to kick it. I've replaced a lot of it with chocolate milk and apple juice but still, I have about two to three cans a day easily. I wish I could give it up but it's so addicting!! Wondering on how to make this easier.

Anyone else trying to eat healthier to either lose weight or just because their diet, much like mine, is terrible?

Do you know any tricks on how to stick to it when you start?

November 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
For me eating healthy is easier because I make what we eat at home from scratch. I dont buy boxed, frozen processed or premade meals. I also allow the kids to help when they can and gets them involved and enjoy eating what 'they make' ect.

I think thats great that you are trying to drink healthy too, water and real juice is best. I am careful to read ingredients to make sure theres no sugar ect, and even the juice is very limited as its full of empty calories.

I saw on dr oz one time ways to eliminate soda, and he suggested to water it down either with water or carbonated water . it may help?

KUP on your progress , and be easy on yourself at first because you want this to be a way of eating forever not just for weight loss. allow yourself some special treats once a week and go from there when your cravings are far less.
GamerMom likes this.
November 30th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got into a really bad habit when I was working of buying really junky lunches so I started cooking extra for dinners and putting the leftovers into the freezer in single sized portion containers then just taking them to work and microwaving them. Would also work at home, kind of like a homemade quick microwave meal.
AmiraX4 and GamerMom like this.

December 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM
Super Mommy
I think it's better to set small, achievable goals for yourself rather than go on a full-blown diet. For example, before you reach for a can of diet coke, have a big glass of water first. After you drink it, you might not even be thirsty anymore.

I think making your own baby food might be a good place to start as well. Make it a rule that whatever fruit or veggie baby is eating, your are going to eat it too. If you're giving her peas, then make peas as a side dish for dinner. If you give her apples, then have an apple for a snack that afternoon.

This website is great because for every baby food recipe, they give a recipe for an adult meal too!

Baby Food 101: Simple and healthy food for you and your baby
GamerMom likes this.
December 1st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is a really clever website.

December 10th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran
Oh wow, thanks Jessifer! That site is very helpful. And thanks to all the advice ladies. I've been trying with small stuff like for every can of pop I have, I have to drink a glass of water as well. It cuts down the pop a little bit more each day because I am less thirsty.

December 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
thats a great start!!
December 18th, 2013, 08:22 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
How are things going?? I think it's super hard to eat healthy, especially with the holidays! I feel like I'm on the Christmas cookie diet lately!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
December 20th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
How are things going?? I think it's super hard to eat healthy, especially with the holidays! I feel like I'm on the Christmas cookie diet lately!
Definitely slacked off thanks to the Holidays, lol. I cut back on the junk food and the pop but I started to pick it back up again since we had guests. Of course everyone is bringing desserts over and pop is just an easy and quick thing that everyone enjoys having. So yeah, safe to say I am going to have to start over after the Holidays. :/

December 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Holidays or not, sometimes we fall off but then we get back on again...thats best part , dont be so hard on yourself!
December 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerMom View Post
Lately I've been really lazy, to put it nicely, to make myself good breakfasts and lunches. Most days my meals consist of pop to drink and whatever sodium filled can food I can quickly put on. Now I do babysit on and off during the day and I am usually cooking only for myself. Though that shouldn't be an excuse. Salad is just as fast and much healthier. Now mind you, I do have really good suppers since my SO is home and I cook for my brother at times as well.

As for the pop (Diet Pepsi and Coke Zero) habit, I really need to kick it. I've replaced a lot of it with chocolate milk and apple juice but still, I have about two to three cans a day easily. I wish I could give it up but it's so addicting!! Wondering on how to make this easier.

Anyone else trying to eat healthier to either lose weight or just because their diet, much like mine, is terrible?

Do you know any tricks on how to stick to it when you start?
WOW you sound just like me after my last child was born. Looking back I'm not ashamed that I kept up the bad eating habits because it prompted me to get motivated and really get my diet in check.

My lovely husband started cooking good meals for me and helped guide me to lose 30 pounds.

Here's a bit tip that helped me:

1) Slowly try to add just 1 good snack a day to your current eating habits. For example, just 1 apple first thing in the morning is what I'm talking about.

2) That 1 apple may not sound like much, but this habit will start to change the way your mind thinks about food. Plus it will curb your craving in the morning for that bad stuff

3) After 4-5 days, add a 2nd item to the mid-day time, but ***keep that 1st item***

4) Still eat your JUNK FOOD! You don't want to feel miserable, but by slowly adding single health snacks your body will naturally start to diminish the craving for this stuff.

5) Repeat until you get into the habit of eating at least 3-4 health snacks each day, then go from there.

Hope this helps.

- Angie
January 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran
Been having a lot of trouble with our power lately thanks to our substations having a lot of issues. Been having power on and off for days now and it's getting worse before it gets better.

On the bright note, I've been forced to eat fruits and juices and all sorts of healthy things! haha. I guess this is a good a start as any!
LilSunshine likes this.

January 6th, 2014, 05:44 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Way to look at the positive side of a cruddy situation!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search