Any Canadians Enjoying the Cold?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran
Cause I for one am not!!! BRRRRRRR. It was -21 here with a windchill of -36....yeah, -36. It's absolutely gross and too cold to do anything! All I want to do is stay inside, drink hot beverages and wrap up in the thickest blanket I can find.

If this continues, the USA might be seeing a new resident...haha.

January 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Super Mommy
Here it's -17C, about -28C with windchill factor. It's not a big deal for me, considering I'm originally from Northern Ontario where this would be "typical" Winter weather, but for Toronto this is pretty cold. I have been living in this city since 2006 and I think this is probably the coldest Winter I've seen here so far.

I haven't mentioned it in this board yet, but over the Holidays when they had that big ice storm that hit Southern Ontario, I was one of those people that ended up almost a week without power. It went out on the afternoon of the 22nd and came back on the evening of the 28th. My flight leaving for Ottawa was cancelled because of the storm but luckily my sister managed to get one of the last train tickets left, so I was able to leave town with Marcos and avoid the whole fiasco. DH had to stay behind because he had to work, so he spent the whole week including Christmas sleeping at our friends' house. I was due back on the 27th but when I heard there was still no power, had to change my plane ticket to the 29th. All in all, it was a real nightmare. We tried to salvage the contents of our fridge and freezer by putting all our food out on the patio but the problem is that on the 26th it started to warm up and the temperature went above freezing. We thought that in all probability the food would have been okay but we weren't 100% sure it hadn't thawed at some point throughout the day. Since we have a trip to Cuba coming up on the 5th and we just didn't want to take any chances and get sick before leaving, we threw everything out. Now my fridge and freezer are really sad (no point in stocking up since we'll be gone for a month).
January 3rd, 2014, 12:37 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd offer some of my summer but so far there hasn't been much heat this summer... hmm.

January 3rd, 2014, 06:55 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Wow that is realllllly super cold..I have never experienced that kind of cold...but glad you all are making the best of it....

Jessifer thats crazy!! hopefully they didnt make you pay for changing the tickets..

Canada is sooo beautiful though...I think it would be worth the cold for a a week or two, I ve only been in vancouver and like 2 other near by cities.
January 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Super Mommy
I got a refund (actually, a credit) for my cancelled flight on the 22nd. However, I had to pay a change fee for changing the date of my return flight. The worst part is that I wanted to used my credit towards my change fee, but they said that the credit was a one-time use only. Since my credit was for $150 and my change fee was $100, I would have lost $50, so I shelled out more money out of pocket.

What made me even madder was when I went to the airport to take my return flight, it was delayed by 30min. Then right before we were supposed to board, it was delayed by another 45min AND we were told that we would be diverted to Toronto's other airport instead (which ended up costing us $50 in taxi to our home rather than $25 had we been brought to the other one)! Then later on, the flight was delayed by another 30min. I was not a happy camper.
January 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I live in Florida (previously Maryland) and I can't even imagine that cold of weather! Today is "cold" for us, in the 40s (Fahrenheit). But it will be back to the 70s-80 this weekend. All my family in MD is dealing with a bit of cold and snow right now though. I'm happy to be where I am

January 5th, 2014, 06:08 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I'm in the USA and it's supposed to be 25 below today. Tomorrow and Tuesday it's predicted to be wind chills of -55. UGH. I always wonder why I don't move south!! This weather is not for me.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
January 6th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Veteran
Oh dear lord, what a week! I live in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador and we've been experiencing black outs and rolling black outs all week. There is no gas in any of the stations left because the pumps can't pump it up without power. The whole province is in pretty rough shape. Spent last night freezing and trying to keep Adelyn warm in the bed with us. Oh my....what a start to 2014!!!

January 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
That is crazy!!! It's cold here (we will be on day number 2 of schools being closed all around us) but we've had power fortunately! I hope things turn around for you guys!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search