Clara Grace's birth story w/pictures

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eiramillek

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Great Penguin Hatch LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2013, 07:33 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Clara Grace was born February 1, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. weighing 8 lbs 1 oz and 21 inches long.

Thursday afternoon I had a doctor’s appointment where I was checked and 3 cm, 60% effaced, head at a -3 station. The midwife told me that her head was still floating up really high so I figured I had a few days before labor would come. That evening I had contractions that weren’t painful but were consistently coming. I just figured they were BH contractions.

Friday morning I went to school like normal. Around 10:30 a.m., I had my first contraction that was painful. I waited for a few more to come and decided to start timing them. I could feel them but they weren’t painful enough that I couldn’t talk or do anything. Around 2:30 p.m. they started to get more painful and were coming about 5-8 minutes apart. I texted DH to let him know because I hadn’t even packed my bags yet!

My mom had just flown in at 2:30 and my sister and dad had flown in the day before. They picked me up around 3:30 from school because they had borrowed my car to go to the airport (good thing I didn’t go into full blown labor earlier that day!) I told them what was going on and we headed home. I started packing my bags and the contractions started to get more painful and were coming 4-5 minutes apart. I took a shower to try to take the edge off. Afterwards, I laid in bed and asked DH to run and pick up some food and I would see how I felt after he got home and we’d determine whether to go to the hospital or not. The last thing I wanted was to get to the hospital and be stuck there with a long labor and not be able to drink or eat anything! I would be regretting these thoughts later!

While DH is gone, contractions start to get closer and closer. By the time he gets home, they are 2-3 minutes apart. As soon as he walked in the room to come get me, I started to have another contraction and felt a small pop. I stand up and head to the bathroom saying “I’m pretty sure my water just broke” and sure enough, it had. By that time, DH is silently freaking out. He had wanted me to head to the hospital earlier and since my water never broke with DD, he was freaked out!
So we immediately start packing up for the hospital. I call L&D and tell them we’re headed in, I have contractions 2-3 min apart and my water broke - and the lady about gives me a heart attack. She asks if our hospital was our closest hospital because she was pretty sure they were full! (I go to a military hospital) So I’m having a small heart attack while waiting for her to tell us what to do. Thankfully she tells me to head in.

We get there and they were going to put me in a Triage room but thankfully it hadn’t been cleaned yet because I would have probably delivered there. By the time we get to the room, contractions are so incredibly painful. I’m checked and already at 7 cm. I immediately ask for an epidural and they told me they would try to find the anesthesiologist. I was NOT prepared to handle contractions or have a natural birth so contractions are coming and I am just screaming in pain. Everyone is telling me to breathe and not scream but I felt like I had no control over it and the pain was so terrible.

Things get crazy from here. I have a lady trying to put an IV in my arm but it must have been her first time because she can’t get one in – especially between my contractions. I kept feeling such pressure during contractions plus more water gushing out of me and get checked again and am already at 9 cm. Not even 5 minutes later and I scream that the baby is coming out. They check me again and I’m 10 cm and yelling for the midwife to get in the room. At this point, I looked at my sister and very pitifully said “I don’t want to give birth naturally!” lol

Clara’s head was pretty much born without any assistant from me. I can’t even tell you that I felt the “ring of fire.” The midwife basically had a hand holding her head in while she finished getting dressed. I got my legs pulled up and in 2 quick pushes, she was born. I was admitted to the hospital at 6:40 p.m. and she was born 20 minutes later.

The most fantastic part is she was placed on me right afterwards. I didn’t get this experience with DD because she had meconium in the fluid after my water broke and I had developed an infection. It was amazing having this freshly born newborn laying on my chest. She was checked and suctioned on my chest. DH got to cut the cord right there which was also something he couldn’t do with DD.

I surprisingly didn’t tear. I was not prepared for a natural birth at all. Now that it’s all over with, I can say I’m happy to have experienced both a medicated and natural birth but I can’t say I’ll ever willingly do a natural birth!

We are doing great. She is nursing like a champ. She weighed in at 7 lbs 8 oz at 4 days old today so she’s lost a little bit of weight. She also has a little bit of jaundice but thankfully it has not gotten any worse so I expect it to be gone in a couple days.

And here are a few pictures of her!

Freshly born:

Mommy and Clara:

After her bath:

Home!

Big sister Lillian with Clara:

This was taken this morning during one of her longest awake times:
cheezpoofs likes this.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by eiramillek; February 5th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
February 5th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Regular
Congratulations she is just beautiful!!
February 5th, 2013, 08:29 PM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
She is so adorable!
February 6th, 2013, 08:01 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
great birth story!! congratulations again, she is so beautiful.

February 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
Aww that's amazing! She's so beautiful. Congratulations!

February 6th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Super Mommy
Wow- what a neat story. You are so lucky you made it there in time. She is beautiful and you managed a natural birth without planning it so that is a huge win for you. You are stronger than you thought. Congrats!
February 6th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
She's beautiful! Congrats!
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

February 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
What an awesome story! Congrats

February 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a birth story! Glad you got there in time! Congrats, your little one is a cutie!
February 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Veteran
Congrats!!! Love your story!

February 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you made it in time! Congrats and great story!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

February 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She is beautiful. What gorgeous girls you have. What a crazy birth story! thanks for sharing.

February 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! You did a great job, Mama! Both of your girls are adorable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search