Reagan Elise's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stephanieaehenley
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By Mom2twolittlemen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Great Penguin Hatch LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On Wednesday, February 6th, I went to my normal OB visit not feeling well at all, but chalking it up to a nasty cold. My BP was dangerously high the first read, the second read it went down so they let me lay down a bit and checked it again and it came down to 153/98. The doctor said at 39 weeks 3 days that he was not comfortable waiting any longer and the baby was safe to come now so they scheduled an induction the following morning. The next morning we went in at 8:30 am because they had so many labors the night before they had no beds ready until later in the morning. It was perfect because I was able to take my daughter, Madeleine, to daycare and do her normal morning routine so she had no idea what was going on and she was happy. When we arrived and were hooked up I was already having contractions at 20 minutes apart on my own, dilated to 3 and cervix 80% effaced. They started Pitocin at 10:15 am and at 10:20 am the OB came to break my water. I asked to have the epidural knowing it would take a long time for the anesthesiologist to get there because of their birthing boom that morning.

From here I can't remember much except how I felt and it was so scary. I don't remember what time it was they came in to do the epidura, I just remember them saying I was dilated to 6cm and they helped me get positioned on the bed. I remember feeling sharp shooting lightning pains down my legs and in the bottom of my feet while he poked around. He mentioned several times that I had strong back muscles and tight ligaments and he was having a hard time. It felt like forever when he finally said he had it in. By then I was bawling from the pain and just ready for some relief. All of a sudden my legs felt hot and numb and I kept asking if that was normal and I couldn't move my toes and no one would answer me. Then I collapsed on the bed and from here I can't remember all that happened because I kept my eyes closed tight and panicked on the inside and the outside. My BP dropped so low my DH said everyone was in panic and I finally passed out for a bit so they could position my body. All I could feel was a wierd feeling all over my body and I couldn't move anything, I couldn't swallow, I couldn't take a deep breath. I was truly scared. I had no clue what was going on and no one would tell me anything, but I kept picturing my daughters growing up without me or with a paralyzed mom. I felt like I was blown up like a balloon and floating over the bed, but also that someone was pressing on my chest so I couldn't breathe normally. I don't know how long I laid there, but I heard them say I was dilated to 10cm and fully effaced and the doctor was just waiting on the spinal to wear off so I could push.

Finally I was able to turn my head and swallow a little and I could feel my arms and even move my fingers some. They said my BP was back up to normal and if I felt pressure to go ahead and push. I didn't feel the pressure until I could move my legs and then the pain was truly intense. They said I could have a 3rd attempt at an epidural by the head anesthesiologist or I could go without. Both DH and I agreed to go without because we were both terrified and in tears by this point. I was so exhausted and couldn't concentrate fully on pushing at first. Finally after an hour of pushing and praying she would come they said 1 more push and her head would be out. I mustered up everything I had left for the next contraction and her head came out then her shoulders. They let DH cut the cord and immediately laid her on my chest.

All the horrors of the epidural were behind me and I was in love with my new daughter. We are all doing well now and no side effects remain from the spinal.

Reagan Elise Born 2/7 at 4:15pm 7lb 2oz, 20.5 inches

Madeleine and Reagan at home

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

Last edited by CptStargel; February 18th, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
February 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Wow! I had no idea those pics were upside down and not sure how to fix them. Sorry ladies.

February 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
Sorry about your epi experience, but glad your little girl came out healthy and you are okay!
CptStargel likes this.
February 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
She is gorgeous! Glad you are both OK, I know that experience can be terrifying, I had a similar one with my 3rd DD
CptStargel likes this.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

February 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She is beautiful! I'm so sorry about your terrifying epidural experience. I'm happy you both are ok though.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's a cutie! Congratulations! Sorry you had such a rough birth experience! I am really glad you don't have any residual problems now.

February 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is really scary. Glad everything is good now though.

February 18th, 2013, 11:53 AM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you had that experience How's DH dealing with it now? I bet he was worried. Glad you are doing fine now though!
February 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks ladies. ProjectMama, DH did not want to leave the hospital that night, but he had to take care of our 2 year old. Since then he has been doing well and only mentioned it twice. He was scared. He said he never wants to go through it again and if I want anymore children he will not be wanting me to get an epi. I honestly just don't want to get pregnant ever again. We have discussed adoption before and I think we will go that route for future children.

February 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
That sounds terrifying! I'm so so sorry this happened to you! Has the doctor spoken to you about why this happened? Was it the needle placement or bc the drop in your bp?

I think your children are just besutiful! I'm so glad you ALL are home safe and your able to enjoy them both.
CptStargel likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats on that beautiful baby and thank goodness everything turned out ok; it sounds horrifying
February 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Mom2twolittlemen: no, the dr nor the anesthesiologist ever explained exactly how or why it happened. I honestly didn't ask because I haven't wanted to talk about it. I've had a few nights where I woke up with that same feeling of not being able to swallow or breathe easy or feel anything from the neck down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search