Abigail's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Great Penguin Hatch LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On the evening of the 27th I had contractions for the first time which lasted a few hours. On the 28th i went to the hospital at around 5pm, because I had been having contractions for the last few hours. I hadn’t previously been checked for dilation so I felt I should go in. I was dilated at 3 and 70% effaced, but i didn't progress so i was sent home. The next day from around 3-midnight I had contractions again, but they were not the 5 mins apart/lasting a minute/for an hour the hospital said they had to be for me to go back. I would have a few at 4/6 mins then a couple at 10/12 mins apart. Several times Kevin wanted to go into the hospital again, but I didn’t want to be sent back home. Around midnight I went to take a shower/bath. I was able to doze in the shower some…and finally i ran out of hot water. So I tried to sleep for a bit and at 2ish they started to get worse and were 5 mins or less apart, so finally at 3 when it didn't stop and they were intense i woke Kevin up and we went to the hospital.

I think at that point i wasn't anymore dilated but i was effaced at 80%. It was a long day. The contractions were very rough, I found it was best just laying down, or sitting on the toilet. I would shake my legs and open and close my legs trying to distract myself from the pain. I didn't want to get an epi due to my experience with Sam's, but finally i caved. First guy tried, couldn't do it. They called someone else in...it hurt so bad when he was doing it so finally after he tried a few times i told him to stop, i couldn't do it. I had a bit of a breakdown after that and sobbed for a bit. I felt so defeated that I had caved for the epi when I wanted to go without, and then so afraid of the pain I imagined I would have again from the failed attempts.

I wasn't progressing so they spoke of breaking my water and pitocin around 2, i believe. I was terrified, i was already having a hard time with the contractions and the first thought was that i would go to long with my water broke, and the harder contractions from the pit and i would have to have a c-section. They said there was a new epi person and i should give them a try. At my husband’s urging I agreed. She got it on the first try! She said "they were trying to put it in the wrong spot". Shortly after that they broke my water, and at around 4 i was complete. The epi made it so I didn’t feel the contractions, but I had a lot of pressure in my butt.

The nurses asked if I was ready to push, but didn't feel ready, my gut told me to wait. But i was having periods of increased pressure in my butt, i felt like i had to poop. I’m guessing those periods came with the contractions. I started having this urge to push/try to poop. So, finally I gave. I would push as if I was trying to poop, at first slow and carefully but over time I started pushing harder. I felt that it was pushing the baby down. And they kept having to move the monitor down. The nurses asked if i was ready to push, i tried to explain i had been pushing but i didn't want to do the knees up hard labor pushing. Around 5 i started asking for my midwife. The nurses said she wouldn't come until i was "ready to push". Closer to 6 i started to feel like if i continued the pushing i was doing baby was going to come out... so i said i needed my midwife. She came in a few minutes after 6. She checked me and said the baby was right there, and asked if I wanted to feel. I felt and was so surprised to feel my baby’s head. The midwife applied some oils I think…and she had me hold my knees and push. I felt it was urgent for me to push…she told me a couple times to relax, slow a little or I would rip. It hurt so badly, I felt the burn. Before baby was all the way out the midwife noticed the cord was around her neck. The cord was too short and tight for her to unwrap it, she had to cut it. Baby was purple. And then she was with us.

Kevin announced “It’s a girl!” And at 6:17 Abigail Katherine Scott was born. <3
8 lbs 14 oz, 21 1/2 inches long. (but at her one week apt she measured only 20 inches long)
1-30-13

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by birdblue; February 19th, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
February 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! Enjoy your new baby girl! Was her sex a total surprise, or were you thinking pink all along?

February 19th, 2013, 05:11 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! Honestly, i thought she would be a boy.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

February 19th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!
February 20th, 2013, 02:19 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! She's beautiful!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 20th, 2013, 04:44 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search