Tim Holtz Grungeboard

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I love it! This stuff is so cool. When I opened the package it smelled like leather - so it brought me back to my childhood days playing hide and seek in the closet with my Dad's winter jacket. Hehe.

Okay, here is the low down.

This is a fairly new product from Tim Holtz Idea-ology that was first shown at Summer 2007 CHA. It comes in various embossed designs such as stripes, dots, swirls, and harlequin or you can buy it plain. It is available as basic sheets or diecut into a variety of shapes, numbers, or alphas. (NOTE: For those of you who have a cuttlebug or other embossing machine, I recommend the plain because grungeboard WILL go through your embosser and you can make it wahtever design you like so it is more versatile).

Price Range:

Alphabets: 16.99 - 19.99 USD, CAD
Elements: 10.99 - 14.99 USD, CAD
Both an extremely good value for the amount of die cuts you receive!!

Pros:

You can do ANYTHING to grugeboard!!! Grungeboard is the new chipboard. Observe:

Numero Uno: It bends and you can roll it up. No creasing like you get with chipboard.

Numero Dos: It moves with the page as you are turning pages in your album. No popping off like stiff chipboard. It just goes with the flow.

Numero Tres: You can paint and ink it, and the colors remain vibrant and you don't need heavy coats to keep them that way. The paint doesn't get dull or soaked up like it does on some chipboard.

Numero Cuatro: Paint and ink both dry quickly on grungeboard.

Numero Cinco: The shapes are totally cool and versatile. You get so many different styles in a pack.

I have inked, painted, glued, glittered, flocked, and embossed grungeboard and it has withstood it all! It is really awesome!

CONS:

The only thing that I can think of is that when you buy the elements pack, there are some die cut shapes that you may never use. I am not a fan of skulls or a fan of keys and hinges, so when I saw the amount of those that were in the elements pack, I was a little bummed. But, I have made use out of one skull which is good! But, you can always swap them in a kit of some kind, right?

Here are some examples of what I have done with my grungeboard:

(Dropshots is giving me a hard time so I am uploading via sb.com)

These letters are massive and I don't think that you would typically use them on a layout (I did on one, and it worked out okay, but not your typical size) so I used them for wall art instead. You can see that in the canvas featuring Aiden I just inked the grungeboard letter and then stickled around it, but in Micah's I inked it and then used Sakura quickie glue and loose glitter over the inked letter.

Aiden Canvas
By Rusha

Micah Canvas
By Rusha

Using grungeboard on a layout:

The first one is a style of letters available in the alphabet pack. I inked them with two different types of ink and then stickled around them. The second is a heart from the elements pack that I inked in two different colours, then used mod podge adhesive and 2 different colours of loose glitter.

Love
By Rusha

This Is Summer
By Rusha

I haven't used it on a card yet, but I think that I will in the near future. I also haven't covered it with paper, but I will try that soon as well. If you want to use it on your cricut, I would advise you do it at your own risk. Because the cricut is made mainly for paper, it only has settings that go the depth of paper. Grungeboard is quite thick, so it might not work in the cricut. If you have used chipboard in your cricut, you COULD give grungeboard a try. But the replacement blades for a cricut are expensive...so it could be a costly experiment!

All in all, If you ask me, grungeboard is a worthwile investment. It is low cost, with lots of options for altering it and lots of ways it can be used. I would give it a try! It's worth it!!!

November 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM
jellybeaninhk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for the review Rusha. I'm definitely getting some next time.

Thank you to .hoodihoo.this. for my beautiful siggie

November 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Grace! I just learned about a new “deep cutting” blade for the cricut that has just been released! This blade enables you to cut grungeboard, foam, chip board and many other items. It is hard to get a hold of right now but if you can find one to pre-order I highly recommend it!! Cutting grungeboard to whatever shape you would like would be AWESOME.

November 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM
jellybeaninhk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Grace! I just learned about a new “deep cutting” blade for the cricut that has just been released! This blade enables you to cut grungeboard, foam, chip board and many other items. It is hard to get a hold of right now but if you can find one to pre-order I highly recommend it!! Cutting grungeboard to whatever shape you would like would be AWESOME.[/b]
That sounds brilliant. Thanks Rusha. I'll definitely look out for it. I don't have a cuttlebug or quikkutz, just the cricut and I really want to try out some grungeboard.

Thank you to .hoodihoo.this. for my beautiful siggie

November 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM
SAHM and scrappymommy
Jerusha - I love what you did with it. Especially the canvas that you did of both boys! That would be a perfect thing for me to do for Logan's room. I have been trying to think of things I could do to decorate his room and that is PERFECT!
November 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
great review Jerusha, i will definitely be adding this to my christmas wish list, thanks for suggesting this Grace

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

November 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
YAY! So glad you liked this ladies! Please request more items for review!

December 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard of this, but at the time didn't pay much attention because I wasn't even using chipboard much. Now I use chipboard more so I will definitely give grungeboard a try.

Thanks for the info.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search