Hi!

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Marike's Avatar Super Mommy
Aloha mommies!

My name is Kelly (Marike is our furbaby) and I've been lurking for some time now (hope ya don't mind). For Christmas, I asked for a Cricut Expressions and, it came on Wednesday! I got dh to order it early so I could finish my MILs gift, so I hope Santa forgives me hehe. I'd put myself in the beginner's category I suppose, tho I have lots of page design experience under my belt as I used to be a newspaper page designer before I became a mom. I got into paper scrapbooking over digital because it's nice to not be sitting in front of the computer sometimes and I like playing with glue.

I love typography, lines, white space, and big photos. However, my biggest challenge is taking the things I love and put them on a 12x12 or 8x8 page lol. It's so funny because when I'm designing pages on a computer, I am so much more comfortable sticking to "less is more" and I have no issues with photos and photo placement with any amount of text. Yet, when I'm sitting at the table with pens, glue and paper, I tend to want to put as many photos as I can because I have such a hard time choosing. ahhh! I turn into a 2nd grader during arts and crafts hour. I think it's because I am biased toward my baby - I want his cutie face everywhere! - whereas the folks on news pages are just regular folks to me and I don't know 'em, so it's easier to pick, choose and crop. My other challenge is combining patterns, colors and textures and making it not look tacky - but I don't have tons of paper, etc, laying around so it's not such a big deal.

The only thing I'm adament about is handwritting things on my pages. Don't get me wrong - I love printed type and it looks spectacular and tidy - but handwritten journaling just seems so much more personal and if my scrapbooks are still with my son when I'm gone, it's kinda like a little bit of mom is still with him. The downside is that my handwriting is horrible lol ah well...I hope to find a balance between both so he can read what I'm writing

Anyhoo, I thought I'd also share this! I didn't see it posted, but I noticed many of you love Scrapbooks, etc magazine. I'm not sure if this is a huge deal on it, but you can get a 1-year subscription for $15 or a 2-year subscription for $20 at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002VJZE...amp;s=magazines - discount is done at checkout).

I look forward to sharing my pages and looking at more of yours! <3

November 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
lovemyluke&joel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Kelly,

Very nice to meet you. I glad you are joining us! It is just great when we get someone new! I'm Jen I have a 2 1/2 year old Luke and am expecting baby boy #2 in March! I have been married to my DH for 6 1/2 years. I love to scrapbook and I would say that I am intermediate. It is my #1 hobby! Jump on in and start yourself a gallery. While you are there check out some others to to get ideas.

Happy Scraping!

Jen & Eric
Luke (2/23/06) & Joel (3/23/09)

November 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome!! I started scrapbooking when I got married four years ago because I didn't want to pay a fortune for my album. I ran out of time until a couple months ago when I picked it back up. I am still a beginner though. I have a 2 year old DS, Xavier and expecting our second in June.

November 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
jellybeaninhk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello Kelly, welcome to the board. I'd love to see some of your layouts. It'll definitely be interesting to see your style and how you put your page designing skills to your scrapbook pages. I tend to agree with you on the handwriting bit. I mostly handwrite my journaling (I do print sometimes though) as I feel I need to make it personalized (plus it's so much easier to handwrite than to mess around with formatting and getting the journaling size right on computer). Also, there is no tacky in scrapbooking. I've matched some of the unlikeliest colours and they magically seem to work.

I'm Grace, btw and I've only been scrapbooking for less than a year and I love it. It's such a great outlet for my "dubious" artistic skills (says I, who cannot draw a straight line to save my life) and of course to preserve those precious memories and showcase my beautiful daughter.

Thank you to .hoodihoo.this. for my beautiful siggie

November 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Marike's Avatar Super Mommy
oh thank you for mentioning the gallery! I hadn't even noticed it up there and there are lots of great pages in there! I started peeking and my mind just started doing flips and was overloaded with ideas. It made me want to redo some of the pages I kinda finished, but I think I'll leave 'em be. They're not bad, but definitely lots of room for improvement, ya know?

And I just realized I didn't share anything about my baby! His name is Jaxon, he's 7mo and a kick in the pants. His first tooth came up about a week and a half ago and now No. 2 is coming up, so we're having tons of fun NOT sleeping...lol. I've been trying to get photos of him and the tooth, but his teething page may just have a cranky face on it, which I suppose would accurately describe the event

It's great to meet you ladies. I'm off to the store with my photos and ideas and hopefully I'll have something to share this week (if my teething kiddo gives me the chance ha). <3

November 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Nice to meet you! Glad you are joining us.

LUCKY YOU! I bet that Expression will bring you lots of cheer! WOO HOO!

Can't wait to see what you make of it!

November 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello & Welcome! I'm Becky and I've been scrapbooking for just a couple of years. These ladies here are very creative, and I'm sure you'll get alot of inspiration. We're having our monthly crop on December 5th - 7th - hope you can join in the fun.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
November 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Kelly!!!

I'm Michelle, expecting #12, our 9th boy on valentien's day

I've been scrapbooking for8+ years and I just love my Experesion!!! I gave my sister the baby Cricut since I didn't hardly use it(she's helping to claen my house, awesome trade if you ask me)she can now just get cartridges.

I can't wait to see your LO's!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search