taking on making my own arcylic albums...

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So it was my biggest scrapbooking fear...or should I say technique that I am scared to try myself. But I am going to make my own arcylic albums using plexiglass sheets from the hardware store.

Pretty much Paul's company has left me no choice, but I am going to have to make quite a few gifts this year. His company has decided to "shut down" the last three weeks of December, and if you don't have unused vacation days, guess what?, you don't get paid! It is all due to the problems with the big three auto makers. Luckily he had enough vacation for two weeks, but that leaves a week unpaid for us. Perfect time with the holidays ( ) and to make it worse they told him this about 5 minutes before I picked him up from work before our vacation last week. So I had to sit in the car with the kids, all packed and ready to go for an extra 45 minutes so he could share "the good news" with his employees.

But on the positive side, aren't hand made gifts the best kind?

I am just hoping and praying that this isn't a sign of what is to come next year for his career. My heart goes out to those employees that didn't have any vacation left and are now facing three weeks with no pay.

So it seems pretty easy, you just score the sheets and snap them. I'll be back to report later on if this technique really is that easy.

The blinky is clickable!!
December 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
oh Chanda i'm sorry about Paul's job situation, what horrible timing for all those employees i hope your albums work out for you, what do you score it with?

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

December 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
i hope your albums work out for you, what do you score it with?[/b]

Well I grabed this glass cutting knife tool they had at the home depot next to the plexiglass. But I just posted a website where a woman made her own using a really sharp utility knife. I guess the key is to make that first score prefect. Then go over it a couple more times, then you just snap them in half. I am just scared that I am going to snap it and have this jagged line that can't be sanded down.

The blinky is clickable!!
December 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
jellybeaninhk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is an aweful situation to be in. I'm so sorry about Paul's work. I hope that things will pick up. Unfortunately it's happening everywhere, the Far East included. We all just have to ride with it. I'm being so much more frugal than before and am turning to handmade gifts as well as much as possible.

Thank you to .hoodihoo.this. for my beautiful siggie

December 2nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to hear about Paul's job. I am glad he has at least two weeks of vacation. Your albums sound exciting. Can't wait to see them!

December 2nd, 2008, 06:36 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to hear about Paul's job. This economy is hitting jobs hard. I'm so glad he has 2 weeks of vacation. And I Love homemade gifts - giving & receiving. I haven't tried acrylic albums yet and can't wait to see yours.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
December 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
As a fellow Michigian I sure do feel for you guys

Stupid CEO's and their private jets! Any how I think the hand made gifts are the best While I was at Staples looking for 4x12 photo paper(which they didn't have) I saw double-sided photo paper and thought of those of you that do those albums.

Can't wait to see how they turn out!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search