Tell me about Cricut

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have done some research on this, but I just don't have enough information about it. I am thinking about getting one, but don't know if it is worth it. What I really want is something to make getting titles on scrapbook pages easier. I don't see myself getting the cartridges for the characters so much, but more so for the fonts. I have one in my cart and it's like $180 for the original machine and I can get the shipping for $5. Any info is greatly appreciated.

ETA: Ok, so I found one for $140 and I can get free shipping!

December 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Oh I LOVE my Cricut!!!I started out with the baby Cricut and it was so easy to use.

But with all the cutting that I use I sold it to upgrade to the 12x12 Cricut, which I use with the Cricut Jukebox(you can use up to 6 cartridges with out trading them out, only the keypad)So I get a whole lot done in a short time.

Now since you plan on pretty much just using the font cartridges I suggest getting the smaller one and also getting the software. The software is great because you can connect the letters into a banner. You can also flip, mirror and other things that are very cool. You do have to have the matching cartridge in order for the software to work and have Windows XP. I have the software but not XP on my dino of a computer lol.

Hope I didn't confuse you about the software and how it works. Say you have the Doodletype font cartridge, if you had the software you can then use it to make letter or such on the software and then the Cricut will cut it out.

If you have any questions I'd be happy or some of the other ladies on here can answer.

December 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have one, but I am one of those that seldom use it. But there are others here that use it a ton and absolutely love it. Most of my cartridges are font ones, I finally black friday bought the storybook cartridge, but that one is still a font cartridge but has a lot of other things that I think I would use.

I'm not sure why I don't use mine often. I even took the time to bring my cricut with me and all my cartridges to the last crop I was at. Even spent the time to cut out some words, and found that they just didn't "fit" my page and just ended up throwing them in the garbage.

But just an example on your pages I did for you. The 1st part of happy birthday was made with the cricut. Then I put some diamond glaze over it to try to get it to resemble the rest of the epoxy sticker title. Then I used the cricut again on your st. patrick day's page. And also on the 1st batch I sent you, the word "loved" is from the cricut.

It is really really easy to use. I haven't had any issues figuring out mine or mechanical problems. And 140.00 is a good price for the baby bug. I think I got mine for 139.00.

The blinky is clickable!!
December 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have XP on both my laptop and desktop. I didn't think I needed it to print anything? Is it easier to do that so you can see what it looks like on the screen? It sounds like the Cricut does not come with the software? Thanks for your help! Oh and Michelle, you can ignore my PM, I dug more and found the link. It looks like they changed the site around.

December 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Marike's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had my Cricut E for a few weeks now and love it. I got it for the same reasons you're looking to get one - for titles- because I thought I was spending way too much on letters and text and had lots of random leftovers and it was driving me nuts. I didn't think I'd really care for the graphics/dingbats but I'm actually enjoying them quite a bit. I've made a few really cute cards and am trying to use them on pages without going overboard lol

The only thing I'm frustrated with is the mat because it's retardedly sticky out of the package. But now that its original stickiness is gone and it's just tacky, it's much better. I got the Cricut Spatula because I had read that it's a must-have and I absolutely agree, especially if you do'nt have anything similar to it to use. I watched the CD program they send with it and they make peeling the letters off look sooooooooo easy but the first time I cut out letters it was not as easy as I thought it'd be and the spatula was super helpful.

I don't have design studio, but I'm thinking about getting another program that allows you to use the fonts on your machine to make what you want. But overall, I'm just fine without either software and am at my limit for spending on hobbies for this year.

If you're looking to get the lil one, Custom Crops has it for 129 w/ free shipping and 1 cart. I got mine there recently, which is why I mention it. Sometimes they're backordered tho and you won't know it til they tell you . They've also "extended" their Cyber Monday sale and carts are still $30. Costco also carries them online (if you're a member), but have to pay shipping iirc, but I guess that small price is worth it if you end up not liking it, if ya know what I mean.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search