New Here!

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
...and now I need help!!!!

Where do I begin? It was gift from my dh who thought I'd enjoy it since 7 or 8 years ago - before kids- I was into scrapbooking. I'm worried I won't find the time to use it... but I do want to give it a shot. I love doing crafts, when I can...but it's usually stuff that kids can do with me. I love photos and back in the day I enjoyed doing small simple scrap albums but TBH I am more into digital stuff. Less mess, not alot of room space is needed. Ack! I just need to get inspired again. And add a room onto my home for me to have just for crafting!

So....

I got just the machine, and what came in the box with it. One cartride, the cutting mat and the machine. I know that the cartridges are expensive but what about the other 'supplies'? What all do I really NEED to buy?

I was reading the manual and it sounds like I should use the cricut paper. I have a bunch of scapbooking supplies but it's just random paper, stickers, and so on.

Can I use that paper? Maybe cut it to the right size for the machine? I have normal scrapping paper and cardstock.

Any input is greatley appreciated.

Thanks!

Cindy

December 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I don't own a cricut, so I can't answer those questions for you. There are several ladies on the board that do though and I'm sure they'll be happy to help once they hop back online.

December 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
Thanks!

I'll be around!

December 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
SAHM and scrappymommy
I use any and all paper with mine. It doesn't have to be cricut paper (which can be expensive). When I first got mine I just played around with it with different papers. Some are thicker than others so you need to adjust the settings.

You can use it for more than just scrapbook pages. You should check out the cricut.com message boards to see all of the stuff people do with them. There are some talented ladies there!

Michelle will probably be able to answer a lot of your questions as she is the Queen of Cricut around here LOL
December 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
WOOHOO you are going to love your machine!!!

You can use any paper you like,but you do have to cut it down to fit the mat. Like Jen said you do have to play witht the setting for the different paper thickness. Example Bazzill cardstock is thicker and should be cut on a 5 or 6, while thinner paper can be on 3 or 4. Vellum is a lower setting and a slower speed.

You can find good deals online or even at Michael's or JoAnn's for a great sale and a lot cheaper.

As far as other supplies there are pens that are nice to have for drawings or fonts.

If you have any other questions just ask and

December 27th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the input girls. I might become a pain in the rear once I start playing around with it!

So....other than paper...will I need any specific tools? I was looking at the Cricut products and saw the Essentials starter kit. (sadly this one is sold out at this price!) But do you think I should invest in it? I'm also liking waaayy too manyc cartridges and other accesories but I need to play first, huh?

I've been given the "thumbs up" to buy what it is I need so I might take a trip to ACMoore soon. Any tools or items that I'll need?

December 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have that kit and keep forgetting to use it, so I wouldn't waste the money.

If I can suggest a few. For font cartridges you really can't go wrong with any of them. Graphically Speaking is very versitile and one of my faves because of all you can.

To make choosing easier get what you will scrapping, that is how I started out. I was expecting so I got New Arrival and had Zoo pics to do and got Animal Kingdow and Zooballoo

December 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm itching for a few theme cartridges but I might need to hold off a bit.

I tried it today and just did random names and words. My oldest daughter got a kick out of what the machine does. She's my crafting buddy.

December 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
lovemyluke&joel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cindy~ Welcome! I can't help you much with your machine....I don't have one. But I do know the girls here that have one love it! Good Luck and hope you find scrapbooking fun again! We have lots of inspiration to help you out!

Jen

Jen & Eric
Luke (2/23/06) & Joel (3/23/09)

December 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have one either, but the girls who do have given you some good tips. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

December 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Marike's Avatar Super Mommy
The only item that I use is all the time is the spatula. I dunno about the other tools in the pack, but for most of my projects, I just use the spatula and sometimes an x-acto knife if part didn't fully cut or I need a pointy edge to knock out the pips in i's.

Did your cricut come with a cd (or maybe it's a dvd) to watch? If so, I found it helpful to watch, tho my letters and images were not as easy to peel off as the ones in the video.

My favorite font cartridge is alphalicious atm. But my font favs are highly dependable on my moods . I get most of my carts at customcrops.com when they're 29.99. My mom's local Michaels had the baseball and Indie Art solutions carts for 24.99 so I picked up IA cuz I don't see me using the baseball one anytime in the near future. IIRC, the solutions carts are $30 at Michaels this week.

As for paper, I've learned that the cheaper the paper, the more lint it leaves on the mat and sometimes it doesn't peel off as nicely as higher-quality papers/cardstock. A lint roller will take care of most of it.

December 31st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Quote:
The only item that I use is all the time is the spatula. I dunno about the other tools in the pack, but for most of my projects, I just use the spatula and sometimes an x-acto knife if part didn't fully cut or I need a pointy edge to knock out the pips in i's.[/b]
You reminded me that I need to get an Xacto knife, since I can't find mine

December 31st, 2008, 09:14 AM
My local ACmoore only has a small selection of cartridges and supplies for the Cricut so I'm thinking I'll buy online.

I want more font carts and the Disney Princess one! But at ACMoore they are $99!!! Crazy! The font ones were about $50

December 31st, 2008, 10:17 AM
You could check out Ebay, that's where I got a llot of mine when I first started out.

Hallmark Scrapbook is having a sale right now.

Custom Crops is having a sale also

Cricut Machine is having a great sale. This is where I got my last 4 cartridges. $33 for a cartridge is a great deal!

January 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I'm "new" here too (I posted a long time ago and then stopped) My MIL bought me a cricut for Christmas as well. I'm SOOOO PSYCHED because I've been eying one for a while, but never told a single soul. She just knew I'd love it! I'm still learning to use it, too, so I'm not a whole lot of help.

I do want to say that for crafts with your kids, since you mentioned that you like having them do crafts, there are really cute gift bags you can make with the cartridge it comes with. You can also make embellishments on it. I'm sure your girls would LOVE to decorate their own little bag and you can help glue it together. There are instructions for a cute bag on the DVD that is in the box.

Mine came with two cartridges

I'm enjoying reading the advice on this thread. I think I'll get a lint roller (good tip!!!!!) and the spatula tomorrow. I'm going to con DH in making a michael's run when he thinks we're going to do other errands LOL

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search