Ok ladies need your thoughts and input

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here’s my dilemma.

I have never wanted a cricut and have never even been tempted to want one. My reason…you can’t do anything without the cartridges and they are too expensive. With each cartridge being themed, you would have to buy a lot of cartridges. I have a xyron personal cutting system with a good variety of font and shape books. I don’t use it too often, but have found it does come in handle for projects/signs other than scrap booking and card making.

I heard people talking about the cricut expression and never even looked into it to see what it was because I just figured it was an upgraded version of the cricut. Well…..I saw this cricut expression infomercial last weekend and it peaked my interest. I wanted to change the channel, but didn’t and even commented to my hubby and kids that I wish I wasn’t watching this infomercial….all week I have been going back and forth in my head about getting the cricut expression. The fact that you can use it with vinyl is what really got me considering it. I had no idea that you could do so much more than scrap booking and card making. I am really interested in the vinyl, glass etching, stenciling and fabric cutting capabilities you can do with this machine. The fact is I want it for everything other than scrap booking. I’m sure I’ll use it for that too, but scrap booking is not why I want it. The TV offer comes with a font cartridge and a shape cartridge. The shape cartridge seems to have a good variety and I still have no desire to purchase additional cartridges because I do not agree with the cost versus limited theme. I do realize that I will have the added cost over time of buying new mats, vinyl, blades etc.

So what do you think? I would really like your opinions based on what I’ve stated above. Do you think the deal is good? Do you think for making only this purchase without any additional cartridges that I would have a good variety of options for different uses? How quick do you go through mats?

I would have to do the monthly payments option as I cannot afford to pay for it all at once. If it is as easy to use as they made it seem on the infomercial, I am considering selling custom vinyl words, phrases etc either on eBay or at craft fairs.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

January 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am in the same boat as you, but I haven't seen any infomercials. I really want one as well, but you can find it for less at other places if you look hard enough. I just can't justify it right now as much as I want one! I think I saw it for $219, but I can't remember where that was right now.....

January 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have only ever used it for scrapbooking. BUT my MIL (who bought it for me) keeps telling me she has tons of projects in mind for it. She bought it because she, like you, is interested in the wall lettering etc. She knew I would be into the scrapbooking, so she bought it as a shared christmas present.

She was disappointed with the cartridges it came with. She is curious about the new cartridges I just ordered, and she has mentioned making some signs for the organization she is in charge of. She still talks about some of the projects she has in mind, but I think over all she is a little disappointed whereas I am over the moon using it for scrapping.

I don't know if that helps at all

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
I did the same thing!!!! Watched the infomercial AFTER the holidays when my DH gave the personal cutter Cricut. The expression seems to blow mine away! The idea of using it on material and vinyl hooked me in.

But ...with that being said... I'm 'new' with using the cricut so I'm having plenty of fun with the smaller one. If I had the Expression...I'd be doing about the same thing with it. Cutting stuff for scrapbooking. I don't quilt so to cut material...don't need to. The vinyl lettering and shapes or whatever...um...not sure what I'd do with that. If I want to have word on my wall...I'd hand paint them on.

Yeah...I came up with a thousand reasons why I'm happy with my little ole personal cutter Cricut. But...if I came into money...I'd totally buy the Expression. I just can't justify a NEED for it.

Also...I saw the Expression in Walmart for $219...had 2 carts with it.

January 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Thank you ladies, your input is helpful. twice since posting this I have gone to the website and almost bought it. I just keep coming up with all these great things I could make with it, but then I really have to give thought to wheather I will really do those things or not. I am looking around too at other sites that have it cheaper and am trying to price the other things to see if the deal is really a good deal or not.

January 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I'm not too much help. I just wanted to say that my MIL has the expression and I have the regular smaller one, and I have not really felt like I wished I had the expression instead. To be honest, there are a TON of people that cut and sell the vinyl lettering all over the web, so do take that into consideration. You would really have to price them right and be cheaper than a lot of the really established sites in order for it to make you a profit! However, for scrapping, I absolutely LOVE it!! Yes, the cartridges are a little pricey! However, you CAN get them on sale! The store right around the corner from me has them for $65 and I would NEVER spend that! With just a little searching on the web, I found a TON of them for $29.99! There are SO many different combinations of letters and shapes on each cartridge if you consider the different effects they offer like the shadow and outlines, etc. I would not think it would be a wise investment if you are only hoping to make money from it by selling letters and what not, but it is SO MUCH FUN for personal use!! Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Please check out my blog and click "Follow!" http://wilsonfarmlove.blogspot.com/
January 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Rich, Darian and I watched the infomercial. Even I didn't know it could do all that they showed. Rich was impressed lol. Keep us updated on what you deside.

January 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to nurse as I type, so hold on with me LOL
I did not know it can cut fabric! Is the infomercial online somewhere? I never seem to catch it

Oh, and I wanted to add to my PP, that the ladies here on this board have a plethora of knowledge of where to get the cartridges for super cheap! It really makes it worth it when the cartridges are only $30. It seems steep at first, when you consider that they ARE themed, but then I figured I would be spending much more than that on embellishments for pages and cards etc that I could be using the cricut for. I just offered to make my friends' baby shower invites and matching thank yous. That project alone would cost about $80 not including paper. I also have three baby themed scrapbooks to finish. These projects make $30 on th New Arrival cartridge, and even the money for the machine, very ecomical. I guess it depends on how much you would use it vs other methods of embellishment or othe ways of doing the projects. KWIM?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Quote:
I'm trying to nurse as I type, so hold on with me LOL
I did not know it can cut fabric! Is the infomercial online somewhere? I never seem to catch it[/b]

go to the link I posted above in my original post and click on demo. From there you can choose what demo you want to view. The fabric one is there.

Thank you all for your input. I made my decision and I will NOT be purchasing the cricut expression at this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search