Cricut Design Studio

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Last question for a while

Does anyone have the DS? I watched the pretty lengthy video on it. While I agree the welding is a great tool, I didn't see much else that I'd probably use it for. So I didn't know if it would be worth getting?

January 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mother in law has it, but personally I do not think it is worth buying. Mainly because you can only use it with the cartridges you already have, so it doesn't really give you any new fonts or anything-just allows you to play around with the ones you have! Just my opinion tho!

Please check out my blog and click "Follow!" http://wilsonfarmlove.blogspot.com/
January 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
I don't own it but had looked into it....and I'm passing on buying it until I'm bored with using just my cartridges. I'm satisified using them as is for now.

January 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
The wielding is one reason why I bought it, no XP so no using it

January 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
I have it but I donít use it as much as I thought I would. Iím hoping to start playing around with it a little more but for the most part I just use my cartridges as is.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
January 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Veteran
yeah I was wondering the same if it was worth buying or not

January 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also like the Design Studio because you can see the placement of whatever you are going to cut. So, if you are making a card or a LO(I only have the smaller Cricut, or I would probably use it a lot more for 12X12 layouts), you can cut shapes/letters into it at the precise place you want (such as a window on the front of the card).
It is also a great paper saver since you can rotate the letters/shapes in whatever direction you choose and place them wherever you want- so if you only have a 3X3 piece of paper that you want to fit all of your items on, you aren't at the mercy of the machine to see if they will fit or not. If you find your cutting mat is wearing faster in some spots than others, you can also place the items to cut in a different position on the mat so that you can get more use out of your mats as well (like if the mat is wearing faster on the left side, you can position the shapes to cut on the right side, and trim the paper accordingly).
Using the Design Studio, you can also alter shapes/letters. If your cartridge will cut a house that is a square shape, you can change the shape of it- you can make it taller or you can widen it. You can also do the same with the letters.
I also like that you can combine cartridges. If you like a tag on one cartridge and want to cut a shape from another cartridge inside it, you don't have to figure out any placements, you can just arrange the one shape inside the other and then cut.
I know that welding has been talked about, especially in terms of letters, but don't forget about welding shapes (welding a triangle to a square to make a house, welding a combination of circles together to make a flower, etc...I know those aren't too creative, but you get the point).
I also like to use mine when I don't feel like sitting in front of my machine the entire time- I plan what I want to do and then get all of the shapes/letters together on the design studio and cut them and I am ready to go.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

January 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks lizard for some insight. My Bday is in March, so once my cricut gets here next week and I use it for 6 weeks, I'll see if it's something I'm interested in. There is a free trial you can use right? Anyone know how long you can use it for?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search