Which Cricut?

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Meegan
I'm looking at all the Cricut machines, and I see 4 on most websites. Which one do you guys have? Pros and Cons? Thanks!
April 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I have the regular personal electronic cutter. I like it because I'm not going to be using it for anything but scrapbooking, therefore won't be needing anything bigger than 5.5 inches. The Expression gets a lot bigger. lol.

Four? I've only ever seen the 2...

April 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
BentleysMommy's Avatar Member
I have the "old" cricut! And although the Expressions "the new" one is cool - I just can't justify getting one as I hardly use my other one enough. I am able to make titles, and embellishments more than large enough with my 6" capacity.

PS - Are you talking about 4 other cutting systems cause i know there are a few on the market - or do you mean you have seen four cricut machines
April 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the personal cutter and that's enough for me. I too only use mine for scrapbooking and I got a really good deal on mine. I couldn't justify spending money on the Expressions and I do love my Cricut. I have used it for things other than scrapbooking too. If you need some good sites to get decent prices, let us know!

April 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the cricut create. I think it was the third one to come out. I can't really give you much as far as pros and cons, because I am still new to it. I really like, but honestly, I haven't used it for scrapbooking yet at all. I've used it for cards, making paper dolls for my daughter, a project I'm doing for the kids school and other decorative things.
April 19th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Meegan
So the one most of you have is the $199 one? On a site, I saw four Cricut's, they were $199, $299, $349, and $499. All are out of my price range right now, but I'd love to save up for one. Where did you guys get yours?
April 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I got the one that is 199, but you can get them for much less at ohmycrafts.com. I got mine for 99 at Joann fabrics when they were having a really good sale in February. The cartridges are much less expensive there, too. I think they are 129 there and they usually have coupons for 10% off or free shipping. If you don't mind waiting and think you'll save more money, go with the free shipping. If you want your stuff quicker, go for the 10% off.

April 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Michaels has the cartridges for $39.99 I think right now...is that cheap?

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Yes, 39.99 is a good price, but it depends on which cartridges they are. I'll look online and see. You can get a lot of them for less at ohmycrafts.com.

ETA: Yes, 39.99 is a good price. I would check online to see if you can get better deals and then get the ones you can't good deal online. That's what I did with one of mine, Cars. I can get most of mine for as little as 28.75 plus shipping, so make sure it's worth it.

Last edited by mandalyn; April 20th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
April 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Marike's Avatar Super Mommy
40 bux is a so-so price. Almost all of the older carts can be had for $20-$30 without any real effort online.

You can stalk eBay for deals on the machines. There are a handful of web sites that will run deals, too, but I think the best deal I've seen on the small Cricut has been w/ eBay auctions. Just depends on which one you want.

If stalking auctions isn't your thing, sign up for Oh My Craft's newsletter - they have weekend deals and discounts etc for when you're ready. Custom Crops has the personal machine w/ the George cart for $119. (I've shopped from both and have had good service. Just know that when something is OOS, it may be OOS for awhile so it'll eventually come, but maybe not as fast as you'd like). I know there are others who frequent the boards that may know of deals at other scrapbooking sites so keep an eye out

April 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Ok, so I am a dork and figured out which cartridges are a better deal at Micheals for $40. I'm a cost analyst for a living.....There are a couple cartridges that are better deals at Michaels (compared to ohmycrafts.com):

Cars
Tinkerbell
Calligraphy
Graphically Speaking
Life's a Beach
Lyrical Letters
Sports Mania
Storybook
Wild Card
Walk in My Garden

April 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
I have the Expression and love it. I use the page fill feature for Valentines Day cards for my kids lol. I use it for scrapbooking mostly but have used it for kids school projects, cutting fabric is what I want to try next. I also like that I can cut things up to 11"

April 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
Meegan
I think I've decided on getting the smaller machine for now. DH isn't to excited about spending that kind of money, so I'm going to check Craigslist, Ebay and Amazon first to see if I can score a deal. Thanks for your help girls!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search