Eyelet question...probably a stupid one. :)

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Wifey2Jordan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought a crop-a-dile big bite a few weeks ago. I finally decided to try it out tonight, and I get out the eyelets I bought (making memories) and I can't figure it out. I think I needed to buy the backs seperately, is that right? Or maybe i'm missing something...

Fill me in. Sorry i'm a dork.
April 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Regular
Did you read the directions? On the directions there is a little chart which tells you which way you need to have the knobs turned for certain size eyelets. Then you punch the hole, place the eyelet in the hole, then use the cropadile to squeeze it into place. You have to make sure you have the correct side on top of the eyelet (the side with a little protruding part that fits thru the eyelet hole) and the bottom side is the broader side that will clench the bottom of the eyelet to hug the paper. Its kinda hard to clench the cropadile while you are doing it, but when the eyelet gets in place you will feel a little quick give. Wow, that is really hard to explain! I hope u figure it out...maybe check youtube to see if there are any tutuorials??!!
April 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the eyelets you use for scrapbooking do not have backs..the crop a dile squeezes it down and creates the back for securing purposes

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ditto what the gals said. It takes a bit to figure it out, but once you do, then it is easy peasy from there. Basically the neck side of the eyelet squishes down flat to make a lip on the backside of your paper. You just have to make sure you have the right size on the knob turned up before you press down.

The blinky is clickable!!
April 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Meegan
Hope you figure it out! I haven't done eyelets before, but maybe that Crop A Dile tool is what I need!
April 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
The chart was on the cardboard in the packaging. I almost threw it away without saving that part, but I did. If you don't have it, I can scan mine for you.

April 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
SAHM and scrappymommy
First off i am jealous you have a crop a dile. A while back I back the Big Bite but then took it back to Michaels because I thought I would never use it. Just last week I was at a card class and used the crop a dile and now I am kicking myself for getting rid of the big bite. So now it is back on my wish list of things to buy.

Have fun with it and I can't wait to see what you come up with for layouts and eyelets.
April 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Can't waiit to see what you do with it

April 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I found the chart. I guess I was supposed to buy a seperate piece for the back that wasn't included in the eyelets I bought...from what I can figure out anyways. Frustrating!!!!

Wefrogy- So when you do yours, do you punch a hole first still? I thought the instructions I read for the cropadile said when doing eyelets, punch a hole first, and then set the eyelet.

I promise, i'm usually not this slow.
April 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah, you punch a hole first.

Really, you need a backing? I've never had eyelets that need a backing. Take a picture and post it

April 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I figured it out, i'm such a dork!!! I just thought you needed a backing because thats what the directions on the cropadile said. It totally works without a backing though!
April 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey2Jordan View Post
I figured it out, i'm such a dork!!! I just thought you needed a backing because thats what the directions on the cropadile said. It totally works without a backing though!
My instructions don't mention a back...

Last edited by Brittanie; April 23rd, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
April 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
My instructions don't mention a back...
Ok, just so you don't think i'm completely crazy.... this is what mind said. Keep in mind, I have never used eyelets, snaps, grommets, any of those fancy things.

Setting eyelets and snaps:
"Select your snap, or eyelet or other metal embellishment. Determine the correct TOP and BASE combination (see chart) for the type of metal embellishment selected and rotate to the correct position. Place eyelet, snap, or other embel. in the hold and then line up the BASE of the tool in the hole of the snap or eyelet and compress."

Would you be confused too? SO then I checked the chart which it was referring too, and it says I needed 1/8" eyelet and snap flare as the bottom block.
April 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I admit, I was confused when I was first reading it when I bought the thing. But it's the base of the big bite, not the eyelet. I think the wording is difficult, but I have no idea how they'd word it better. It's the bottom rotating block on it that needs to be set to the flare for the eyelet.

April 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brittanie already answered this, but yes i do punch the hole first.

Can't wait to see what you used the eyelets on.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
I am now glad I didn't buy the Crop-a-Dile...or I'd be just as confused!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search