Which Cricut should I buy?

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2010, 04:26 AM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I don't really post here, but I like to lurk Anyway, in the Sunday paper they had a coupon for 50% and one for 40% off any item at Michaels and I am really wanting a Cricut. I'm either going to get the Cricut V1 or the Cricut Expression. I'd like to get the cheaper one, but is it worth it? I'm sure the Expression is a lot more advanced. Also, does it come with any cartridges, and which would you recommend for a beginner (best fonts to have on hand, etc?)

Thanks in advance!
December 13th, 2010, 05:02 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! I hope you decide to stick around with us, we're a fun bunch of ladies!

With the 40/50% off coupons, hate to be a downer, but they typically exclude the Cricut and cartridges. (read the fine print on them). BUT on the other hand, the stores are typically having great sales right now on the machines and carts. I personally have the small cricut. It works great for me, others here have the expression and love it. I couldn't justify the price of the expression at this time. The cricut typically comes with 1 basic cart to get you started, as well as 1 cutting mat - everything you need to start playing. Mine came with George which is a basic font & shapes cart. With the carts, most retail price is $69, $89 but I've never paid that much for any of them. The stores periodically have sales, most right now are $35 for the $89 ones and Michaels had alot on clearance for $29 when I went on Saturday. You can also check ebay, I've gotten many carts there for $30 and less and most have free shipping.

Good luck & let us know if you decide to buy one. They are alot of fun!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
December 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Oh gosh, you sure are right. The very last thing in the fine print says no Cricut or Cricut cartridges...arg! Well I still really want one, and I'll see if it's in our budget this month. I'll probably end up getting the smaller one then, especially since I'm just a beginner. Thanks for your response!
December 13th, 2010, 06:33 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're welcome! Can't wait to hear if you get one & the fun you have with it.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
December 13th, 2010, 06:52 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the cricut create. I haven't seen it in a lot of stores, so if you're interested I'd check online for it. I got it for a good deal and it's between the personal cutter and the expression. I had the personal cutter for a very short time and was frustrated at a few things it couldn't cut (size wise) and the expression (I just got) has some REALLY cool function, but honestly the create has been more than enough (even with all the cool features of the expression, I really just bought it to cut large background shapes, but have done over 100 pages without, so it wasn't a "need" just a "want")

And I only use 2 fonts cartridges. Base camp (mine didnt' come with the george cart, but that would have worked in its place) and cuttin up. I use them for everything and haven't felt like it was repetitive or anything.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the personal cricut and am getting the expression for Christmas. I am really looking forward to being able to cut larger items with the expression. But the personal cricut has gotten me by so far. As for cartridges, I would reccomend the Lyrical Letters Cartridge. You get 7 fonts on that cartridge.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

December 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Ditto Lyrical Letters. I have it and I love it. I use it for just about everything. I have the personal cutter, and I honestly have never wanted to cut anything bigger than it cuts.

December 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Hi and Welcome, please stick around and post, this is a great group of ladies and we would love to see some of your pages

I have both, i don't use the small one anymore though, it quit cutting properly and i can't seem to fix it. However i love love love my expression, i love being able to cut out a perfect 11 inch circle for a background and i love it for cards, i have the wild card cartridge and i don't think it would work that well with the original, but i wouldn't trade it for the world, i use it so much. the smaller one is perfect though for smaller shapes and titles. the whole reason i wanted one was to cut out titles. I hope you get one, you will love it, a couple other great cartridges are alphalicious and zooballoo

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

December 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the advice and suggestions! I can't wait to get one. I'm gonna keep looking at reviews and prices and I'll let you guys know!
December 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
Hi and Welcome!!! I had a post written but I hit back and lost it, grr.

So I'll just sum it up - I have the expression but I don't use it to cut large things all too often, especially for pages, so if thats your main purpose I wouldn't find it necessary as my original cricut worked fine for me (was having some power issues which is why I bought the E). If it came down to the create vs. cricut and you found a really nice deal on the create, I'd go with that just for the extra features. I've seen the regular cricut for as low as $60-$70 and if I caught that deal and was in the market, I'd jump on it over the create. Personally I don't use the extra features (multi cut, fit to page, flip, etc) enough to justify double the cost (or more, I haven't priced them out recently!)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
December 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
the flip feature is great for making party decorations, you can flip the image and then have double sided images like these dinosaurs, they are 10" in height

side one

side two

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

December 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you're interrested and you look around you can find a good deal on the create. I got mine for $85 (95 after shipping)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 13th, 2010, 06:48 PM
ToonTownGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I have both as well, just got my Expression about a month or so ago as my early Christmas present. DF found a really great deal on ebay, so he jumped at the opportunity. I'm in the process of selling my little bug because I know that I won't use it.

Now that I have the big bug, I love it and couldn't ask for more. Like Tamara said, it's great for cards. And if you have kids, it's great for decorating and fun things like that. DSS and I made his invitations for his birthday party with it, and I just don't think that we could have done it with the little one.

I have a couple of different font carts that I use, George, Calligraphy Collection, Learing Curve, Cuttin' Up, Printing 101 and Stone Script. And I love them all!

Good luck, but truthfully, check out ebay, and online stores, 9 times out of 10 you can find them wayyyyyy cheaper than at Michael's. I got my little bug at Walmart a few years ago.

Thank you
*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggie!

1st Miscarriage - not planned - June 29, 2010

Saskatoon Scrappin'
- visit my blog!

December 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My scrappy time is so limited that I only use my cricut for titles and the small one is perfect for me.

Actually it is not even my cricut but my mother's she lent it to me and then stopped scrapping due to health issues. The cricut is noice but I wouldn't have bought it myself and I still have only one cartridge.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search