SCAL question for Cricut users

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2010, 07:25 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
Hi Ladies! I haven't been to this board in ages....but since I just got the Cricut Expression - you might find me around again more often. Hope that's OK?

Anyhow...I had the Cricut Personal Cutter so I do own many carts but I am now looking into purchasing SureCutsALot to use now that I've gotten the Expression.

Do any of you ladies use it? If so, how often?

Basically, is it worth it?

I like the idea of being able to set things up in a certain order or pattern. Otherwise, fonts aren't a big deal for me as many of my carts are fonts.

Thoughts?

December 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'd never heard of that until yesterday a friend told me about it. I've been thinking about downloading a trial. Maybe you can do that? I don't know where she downloaded her trial version though. I think googled it.

December 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
I saw the trial too and it's definitly an option! I was just wondering if anyone here has it.

I have a Friend who has it and we've used it with the vinyl to make stencils for etching beer mugs. Very cool to do! But...Other than that...I'm not sure how much I'd really use it.

Can you tell I'm torn?

December 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Can it only be used with the expression? Because I only have the personal cutter.

December 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
SAHM and scrappymommy
I have the first version of it. My hubby found it for me online somewhere. I just got it so I haven't used it much. I loved that you can use any font on your computer and cut it out.

I just haven't had a chance to play with it. Hopefully I can do some stuff with it this week.

There is a site you can download patterns from to use on the SCAL. If you sign up for their email they send a weekly message and in it there is a free pattern you can download.

Paper Piecing Patterns & Digi Stamps for Scrapbook, Card & Tag Embellishments

Oh and no it can be used on any of the cricuts.
December 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
I've have heard alot of good things about it, but i also heard that if you use it your warranty on the cricut machine is void. I have never seem proof of that but have heard it from a few different people. That being said i don't know how provocraft would find out you used it. i'd like to try it myself

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

December 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
SAHM and scrappymommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaralynnb View Post
I've have heard alot of good things about it, but i also heard that if you use it your warranty on the cricut machine is void. I have never seem proof of that but have heard it from a few different people. That being said i don't know how provocraft would find out you used it. i'd like to try it myself
I have heard that too but my husband pointed out the same thing that there is no way for provocraft to know you use it. The actual SCAL software goes onto your computer and then you just use a USB cable to your cricut.
December 29th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I'd probably try it on my personal size Cricut first just in case... LOL....but I'm still going back and forth about trying it out.

December 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
I don't think Cricut would be able to tell if you used SCAL or not, plus after a year there is no warranty anyway. I have heard though that in updates to your firmware PC has been trying to include aspects that would not allow SCAL to work with your machine. I don't think they've actually accomplished this, or if they have that ways around it have been found, but I do believe that PC would love to find a way to make programs such as this not work. Whether or not thats possible I don't know. If they ever did come up with a way to update the firmware so that 3rd party programs wouldn't work you just wouldn't be able to update your firmware, but that means things like a gypsy and DS wouldn't work if you have them. But again, thats a big if and I don't think its really an issue, not now at least.

I've considered getting SCAL in the past but never did and I don't think I ever will, especially not now that I have a gypsy and the cost of carts have come down. My expression is downstairs and I don't feel like having to drag my laptop downstairs to scrap and enjoy not having to use a computer, so I think thats the big reason why I wouldn't get it. I stopped using DS a long time ago for that reason. But if you have a set up with a computer in your scrap space or aren't lazy like me, then I think it could be a great program.

There is also another program similar I think - I saw some stuff on it a while back and it looked pretty neat. I believe its called Make the cut and it might be something to look into as well!

eta here is the link to make the cut Make the Cut! - Offical Website - Cricut Compatible Software Program

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
December 30th, 2010, 07:32 AM
My scrap area is in my basment so I would have to make room for the laptop. Good point. I think I might hold off on getting it. I just found a bunch of carts on Amazon for under $25 with free shipping....I think that's how I'll shop for carts from now on!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search