Organize your space day 4: Paper organization

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
How is your paper and cardstock currently organized? Is this system working for you or do you need a better solution? Please share! (tomorrow we’ll explore storage options )
Here are a few articles on how to organize your paper:
Organizing Your Paper
Scrapbooking How To: Organizing Your Scrapbook Paper - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

This one is a little lengthy and I’ve only skimmed it, but its one I want to give a better read – I do plan to organize my paper in rainbow order as this describes:
Scrapbooking Article: Organizing Paper

Currently my cardstock is organized by color (blues, greens, browns, reds, yellow and oranges, pink, purple, black and white. My Patterned paper is organized by holidays and seasons, boy and baby specific, and then color with a separate storage for brights and stripes. Then I also have different paper lines stored together. This is okay for me, but I am constantly forgetting what I have and need to re-vamp how I have things organized. I have a lot of blue and green cardstock so I’d like to further break that down (light blues, dark blues, blue/greens, etc) and my patterned paper is just a mess. The extent to how I’ll break everything down will depend on what kind of space I have for storage but I’m getting a lot of great ideas from these articles!
My plan is as follows… I’ll evaluate how many spaces I currently have for storage, and then how many I need. I want to break down my cardstock into more color categories, especially for the colors I have a lot of (Blues, greens, browns). I’d also like to have separate organization for specific projects (such as all the cardstock I have specifically to cut out the pieces for Disney characters). I’d also like to break down my patterned paper – Still have it by color, but subdivide it somehow.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
January 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a tough one for me. I used to keep it in something like (except mine has dividers)

Deprecated Browser Error

which was great until I had too much paper to fit in it, now it's all piled on my desk. I REALLY want

Deprecated Browser Error

but I can't afford it

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
Tomorrow brings paper storage on a budget! So you'll be able to get it all off your desk

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
January 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I keep the paper in the books they come in because those papers all share a similar theme. The solids I have done in rainbow order in drawers. I also have one drawer for scraps that I go to first when using the cricut.
January 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
my paper is in us postal boxes cut and covered for paper storage. The paper is grouped by kits which is manufactures and Cardstock bought to be used together and embellies specific to those papers. CS is in rainbow order.

January 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right now my 12 x 12 solid cardstock is sorted by color in these:

Walmart.com: Sterilite 3 Drawer Wide Organizer, Set of 3: Storage & Organization

I have my 8 1/2 by 11 solid cardstock sorted by color in these:

Walmart.com: Sterilite 3-Drawer Organizer, White, Set of 4: Storage & Organization

Paper stacks are stacked on end so that they are easy to pull out when I need them.

My loose patterned paper is stored in something similar to this:

26 Pocket 12"x12" Paper Organizer (4077)

It is sorted by theme/use, cool colors, warm colors, nuetrals, and specialty papers (like velums and mulberry paper).

My scraps are the problem. I am using one of the wide 3 drawer units to store scraps divided: cools, warms, nuetrals. My pattern paper on the other hand just gets pile on top. I really need to find a more efficient way to store scraps so that I remember to check them first before cutting with my cricut.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Cardstock is all in one bin, except for some that i keep with the matching paper. it is all organized in a rainbow. It is working but i need more 12x12 large paper holders i have to many small ones to go through.

patterned paper is organized by theme. i have a really hard time organizing pattern paper by color because it often fits into more then one. partial pieces and partial sets i have in a different space and i have them stacked upright by size, then i can see all the patterns when the smallest is at the front.

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

January 28th, 2011, 07:40 AM
*ScrappyMom*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *ScrappyMom* Send a message via MSN to *ScrappyMom* Send a message via Yahoo to *ScrappyMom*
My cardstock in a SU! paper storage thing, in rainbow order, with black, brown & white on the end. I have PP in another SU! paper holder, and then paper packs on a shelf below. However, everything is a MESS right now. I need to move it, because it`s in a funky spot, but am not sure where/how.

Custom crochet hats for you & your little ones!
Check out my FB Group!!

February 1st, 2011, 05:19 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I know I'm late in chiming in on these challenges. My excuse is simple, no power at home for several days due to last Wednesday's (small) winter storm here and then no internet until late last night. Grrrrrr! Anyway, better late then never, right?

Okay, If I stick with what I started, I actually am happy with my 12x12 paper storage. I just get lazy and don't put up my new paper or put back the ones I've worked with. Here's an older pic of my space (it's a bit more messy now. ) My paper packs, I sometimes leave them intact, but usually do end up separating and placing in the appropriate box. The intact ones are no longer on the shelf to the right, I now have them to my left on another table under the peg board (can't see it in this pic).

I used these great craft carts from Target - only $35.99 (on sale right now for $29.99) Sterilite 7-Drawer Craft Cart - White : Target - basically same as the scrap ones, but cheaper. I didn't use the wheels on mine and placed them on the back of my scrap table and added a shelf above them to create upper storage.

My paper on the left is solid colors, right is pattern/specialty. I used these Cardinal HOLDit Business Card Pockets Side Loading 3 34 x 2 38 Pack Of 10 by Office Depot from office depot to label everything. That way I can reprint what is in the cart when I want to reorganize. (I actually use these a lot in my scrap area.)

My 8x11 is another story. I started out having 2 file boxes that I sorted them in, but that fell to the wayside. I have cardstock near the computer in our office area so I'm constantly going back & forth. So now it's in 2 places, piled up.

My scraps, I started out in one box. Now I have another smaller cart I bought and have them sorted by solid color & pattern scraps. I'm not usually good at remembering to check there before I cut things with the cricut. I need to do a better job at that. I do have some that I've trimmed to squares, rectangles, circles, etc that I've got in an envelope for quick journaling.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search