Organize your space day 12 - paper scraps

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Paper scraps. . . . . we love our paper and we don't want to waste it so we tend to keep our scraps, but with so many different sizes and types, how do we organize it and keep it at hand so that we will use it. Now I know i often forget about my scraps, especially the pattern paper scraps. i have a couple accordion folders that i use for my scraps one for smaller ones and one for larger and i have a 12x12 one for large scraps. i need a better system. here are a few tips i found online.

Tip # 1 - don't keep anything smaller then 2x2

Tip # 2 - Gather a bundle of strong, clear, plastic bags - ziplock bags work a treat! Separate your scraps by individual colors, color groups or designer, whatever works best for you. Keep the system you use for storing your papers if that works well. With everything in see-through bags it's very quick to find what your looking for.

Tip #3 the next best tip was to keep these in an easily accessible container on my desk, or at least within arms reach. like a large, food storage box, about 4 inches deep, and the bags stand upright in it. This is shallow enough to see in, yet high enough to keep papers upright. Being so close at hand it's very easy to reach for scraps, as well as to drop papers into the bags immediately so your desk is less cluttered - another bonus.

Tip #4 good labeling is a key as well, try this
good labeling is a must as well to use them, try labeling like this

Red Pattern
Red Solid
Orange Pattern
Orange Solid
Green Pattern
Green Solid and so on

now for some storage ideas, i apologize if this is all disjointed, but it is late and i'm a little tired

1. If you have a clip it up system, you can use clear page protectors one for each color and hang it, that way you can see them all and just spin it around to find the color you want. this would work for their wall mounts as well, maybe even better for the wall mounts
Clip It Up || Simply Renee
Clip It Up || Simply Renee

2.use a large binder filled with page protectors, you can get one that zipper closed as well as the traditional top loading ones and then they are all close by as well.

3. check out this, i have one and love it, i had used it for full sized paper but it was so heavy that the clip snapped off, i still use it bit for scraps now, i need to get a new one, it has at least 20 pockets and the dividers are all clear so it is easy to see inside it
Darice? 13x13.5 Scrap Saver Tote*: portable storage*: multi-purpose craft storage*: storage*: Shop | Joann.com

4. they are a little pricey but the cube drawers are a great option too, the large units would be awesome too but they are very expensive.
Best Scrapbook Shelf

5 get a pretty box or a bin and store your pieces in 12x12 page protectors, some brands are more firm then others and will stand up on their own and not flop over,

and a few other images i found

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

February 4th, 2011, 08:26 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
Scraps, I have so so many. I started out keeping them sorted by color in ziplock bags and then in boxes 1 for solid, 1 for pattern scraps, but soon just got lazy and they got all bunched together. I have them in a sterilite 2 drawer container right now. 1 drawer for solid color, other for pattern scraps. I forget what i have though and constantly use a new piece of paper for the cricut or matts, when I should be hitting the scrap drawer first. (bad bad Bek) - so this is a definite area I'll be working on organizing better. (drop the whip, Carrie, I WILL get to it . . . one of these days )

I do love that clip it up system, but just knew it could be done cheaper. and before I even decided to play myself, I knew another crafty lady has probably already thought of that, So I googled "make you own clip it up system" - I really love google Check this link out ladies - Paper Pastime: "El Cheapo" Clip it Up!!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
February 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
For a short time I was addicted to buying those "Value Bundles" and "3lb bags" of scrap paper so I had tons of smaller scraps of paper laying in the drawers with my regular 12x12 stuff.

I turned it into a game for my girls and had them sort it out! I keep them in ziploc bags in a boot box. I'm content with that for now...

February 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I use pieces smaller than 2x2 all the time with the cricut.
February 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post
I use pieces smaller than 2x2 all the time with the cricut.

I do too, it was a list i found online and works for those that don't have a cricut

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

February 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just ordered these to help with my scraps:

Cropper Hopper Vertical Org Scrap Storage 3pc Product Detail -- CreateForLess

(I found them on this site but actually ordered them from Joann's because I found a promo code online for free shipping.)

I will have one for: pink, red/orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, brown, white. Just looked and realized that I forgot to order a pack for my patterned paper! AGH!!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search